5K service??

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 07 fz6 with 4600 miles on it and the guy told me that he has not done the after break in oil change so i know i will need to do that but what else should i have done? hopefully all of this i can do without taking it to a shop..(poor college student):rockon: so any advice will be helpful

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
The after break in oil change should have happened at 1000 miles. If it were my bike, Id change the oil and filter ASAP.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Replace all fluids in this order: motor oil/filter, brake fluid, coolant.
Inspect the air filter.

Here's a helpful spreadsheet someone was nice enough to make.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/28468-fz6-maintenance-chart.html
Take good records and notes. I uploaded mine on Google Documents, so it'll be around forever, or until the Space Zombies take over.
Buy/borrow good tools, even if you're poor, it will be cheaper in the long run. Don't buy the cheap lint-free shop rags from Harbor Freight that aren't really lint-free.

Download the service manual. It's on the site, somewhere.
It will show you how to do pretty much everything.
Almost everything but the valve adjustment has been made into a tutorial on this forum. Please use the google site search functionality, first, before asking questions.
Let me help you get started:

how to change your oil site:600riders.com - Google Search

It may be overwhelming at first, but keep a good attitude about it, and you may even start to enjoy it. And remember, we'll be here to help bail you out, if sh*t happens.
Well, I'll be :popcorn: , but there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. :D

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a ton and what about the chain? what is the best lube to use and how often?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a ton and what about the chain? what is the best lube to use and how often?

Bel Ray Chain Wax IMHO....doesnt fly off onto your wheels like most others!

Every 300- 400km's should see you right.

:thumbup:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
what is the best lube to use

what's the best chain lube site:600riders.com - Google Search

and how often?
4th one down
"How often do I lube the chain" site:600riders.com - Google Search

Also, I suggest getting a hold of something called ACF-50 or Corrosion Block.
I learned about it from someone on this site. You can read about where to use it and where to NOT use it by, you guessed it, using a google search!

I could only find ACF-50 online. I found Corrosion Block at West Marine. It will prevent rust from rain, snow and salt. Not sure if there's a boat store in your land-locked state of Utah.

This is what I did regarding Corrosion Block and my chain.
1. Cleaned chain with diluted simple green and a grunge brush. Rinsed with garden hose (no pressure).
2. Used soft steel wool and Corrosion Block on existing rust spots. Try not to use the same steel wool too long, since parts of the steel wool will flake off and give you a bigger mess to clean. Rinsed with garden hose (no pressure) again.
3. Dried all sides of chain with a clean shop towel.
4. Lubed ALL sides of chain. Cleaned up excess on ALL sides of chain with a clean shop towel.

That's it. The point is the put a THIN surface of Corrosion Block on your the clean chain surface. Don't spray your rotors or brake pad with chain lube.

There was almost no rust spots on the left side of the chain (the side not facing the wheel). This is because it got most of the lube. The right side had a lot of light rust. I was like OMFG! From now on, all sides get the lube, and I'll just lightly pat dry the excess. Plus, I use Corrosion Block now.

Don't go Monk on your chain and OVER-clean it. You'll inevitably screw it up.
BTW, I use Maxima Chain Wax.

Last edited: