520 Conversion

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, thanks anyway steve. I just got my PC111 today and i am looking at the instructions now. I hope its easy to install:rtfm::rtfm::rtfm:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
OK so I am going to ask the newb question...

Reasons for going to the 520 chain are?

What is the stock size?

More gearing options? Cheaper and easier tofind chains?

-bryan

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good enough reason to me!

When it comes time to change out the chain and sprokets I might have to look into go over to the 520, that and a re-gear. Maybe -2 out back or +1 up front.

-bryan

get more fuel economy? if you do this let me know how much it changes and if you miss the torque.

W

wrightme43

If he got a 15t front and a 48t rear, and you go and punch it into the gearing calculator linked above, and make sure you update max rpm, max power rpm, min rpm, and shift rpm it really looks like a good idea on paper.

It looks like it will top out about 135-140 which is damn crazy fast anyway.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
get more fuel economy? if you do this let me know how much it changes and if you miss the torque.

I could care less about fuel economy. The darn thing already gets so much better milage than my Z-28 with a 2200 stall and shift kit...lol

I think I would like a larger counter shaft or a smaller rear just to get the RPM's just a touch lower when cruzing at highway speed, i.e 6th gear. I am not the most aggresive rider when it comes to this bike, so I really don't need all the power it offers anyway. However, I do still enjoy hitting the twisties and good rate, but no where near knee dragging. All I am expecting is that I might have to run it in 2nd up HWY 21, instead of 3rd.

However here is my next question.
-My father is a parts manager at a Yamaha shop back home and it is much easier and cheaper to get bike parts from him over eBay. When getting the 520 sprokets, is there a company such as Renthal, Sproket Specialties, Sun-Star or one of those major manufactures that make a 520 series for our bike specificly or are we having to Frankenstien something on there? I mean after all I could get in touch with Sproket-Specialties and get them to make something custom if that is necessary, I am pretty sure that is what they do pretty well.

-bryan

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok :Sport::Sport: i just got thr PC111 installed and WOW what a difference. The reaction time, the quick response and the fat that the gas smell is gone, i am very happy and...."BUY ONE NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I also got my 520 RED chain and sprocket kit pic's will follow in a short while, dinner just came so when i get done i will take pic's.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats my problem, i cant do the chain cause i'm not sure because i am not to mechaniclly gifted. So i might have to briing it somewhere, but the rear sprocket i might be able to swing, but i wont know till saturday morning and it's killing me to wait.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you are not supposed to put a new chain on old/used sprockets since it will decrease the life of the chain so i think it would be best to do them all at the same time. I also don;t think that chains are rocket science, is it a rivet master link or a clip?

If it is a clip just make sure you put in on in the correct direction and if it is a rivet you just need a special tool.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the tip, i just called one of my buddies who is a tech at the dealer and he said he will help me on sunday GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRr lOL

W

wrightme43

That is listed as a rivit master link in the sales link, but you never know with internet stuff. Its not rocket science but it does have to be right. If you have a friend that knows what he/she is doing, watch and learn.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey steve do you have that link for the calculator, i want to see how off i will be and also get an idea of what the difference is. I will be ordering the SPEEDO HEALER.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok i found this site can someone tell me if this applies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gearing Commanderv4.1
Motorcycle gearing/rpm/sprocket/speed/chain calculator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select Bike Brand05- Aprilia01- BSA01- Buell03- Cagiva50- Ducati02- Harley Davidson26- Honda01- Husqvarna01- Hyosung39- Kawasaki09- KTM01- Sachs37- Suzuki07- Triumph28- Yamaha Select Model FJ FZ FZRFZSFZXTDMTRXWRXJRXSXTYZYFZYZF Select Version/Year 1 Fazer 20041 Fazer 20066 Fazer 2004750 '85-'86

Bikes in the database !
Select Units: Mph & inch Km/h & mm

Setup
Primary
Drive Ratio Tire Size
Width / % / Rim Max.RPM Final Drive Ratio
Front / Rear Chain Pitch Chain links
L Stock: // /
K Current: // /

J Custom: // /

1st Gear Ratio 2nd Gear Ratio 3rd Gear Ratio: 4th Gear Ratio 5th Gear Ratio 6th Gear Ratio
/ / / / / /

Speed in related to Gear and RPM in Stock Current Custom setup:

Enter minimum
RPM ▬►
to display

Speed 1st Gear
Speed 2nd Gear
Speed 3rd Gear
Speed 4th Gear
Speed 5th Gear
Speed 6th Gear

Top speed related to gear and front & rear sprocket in at Max.RPM:

Enter gear to display
top speed of

Custom Front sprocket

Custom Front sprocket

Custom
Front
sprocket
Custom Front sprocket
=
Custom Front sprocket
+ 1
Custom Front sprocket
+ 2
Custom Front sprocket
+ 3

Custom Rear sprocket -3

Custom Rear sprocket -2
Custom Rear sprocket -1

Custom Rear sprocket =
Custom Rear sprocket +1
Custom Rear sprocket +2
Custom Rear sprocket +3

RPM variation due to sprocket changes:

Enter custom
Speed

Stock Final Drive Ratio

/ Current Final Drive Ratio

/ Custom Final Drive Ratio

/ Difference Current
to Stock
in percent:

in RPM: Difference Custom
to Current
in percent:

in RPM: Difference Custom to Stock
in percent:

in RPM:
RPM 1st Gear
RPM 2nd Gear
RPM 3rd Gear
RPM 4th Gear
RPM 5th Gear
RPM 6th Gear

Chain geometry changes due to sprocket & chain changes:

Chain
Stock chain &
Stock sprockets
Current chain &
Current sprockets
Custom chain &
Custom sprockets
Difference
(Current - Stock)
Difference
(Custom - Current)
Difference
(Custom - Stock)

Pitch
Links
Length
Sprocket Distance

If you want your bike added to the presets, please use the "Add your bike" option.
DUCMANs © 2005 -2007 Version: Date: Unique Hits Since September 20th, 2005: