50,000 Miles Club

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles.
Congrats on your second lap around the world :thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, on the way up north after crossing the Golden Gate, I took Highway 1 down to Stinson Beach and up the coast. That road was awesome.

Heading up the 101 I also came across a lot of roads with signs posted that vehicles over 35ft are prohibited or not advised. Talk about an invitation for bikes.

How far noth did you take 1 before cutting over to the 101?

It takes me about 30 minutes to get to Stinson Beach from my driveway (on a bike). Sometimes when I'm extremely busy with work and can only fit in a 2 to 3 hour ride on the weekend, I'll take a blast up to Olema, CA and back via the 1. Makes for about an 80 miles blast that leaves me feeling much better.

The best roads are quite a bit farther north.

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on reaching the 50,000 mile mark! I truly am impressed, as my '06 has just under 9,000 miles on it....

Rob

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations Kenny. Wow 50000 miles, my but hurts:spank:. And you don't even have a good seat. I hated the Yamaha comfort seat that you have. Must be nice to be able to ride year round. Not here in Oregon.

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
When you use your bike as your only ride, and ride every single day. Sometimes it's tough to find an excuse to go ride. That's why I too rarely go to Red Rocks, or the lake. Maybe once a year.

But major road trips are fun! Meeting other forum members and riding with them is even better. I've met over 30 members, all have been great.

My last major road trip, I never met Dirk, Lone or John from Ventura. But it's like we have know each other for decades. Was such a blast.

Why don't you tag along to one of these Southern California rides? Lots of fun. California has the best roads.

And another thing I like about California. The majority of the Cagers have the common sense and awareness to acknowledge the motorcyclist. Either by lane splitting or yielding to the bikes by pulling off on a turn out to let us by. Not everyone, but certainly most and definatley more than you would find in any other state IMO. For the most part, California Cagers :thumbup:

My schedule just doesn't permit it. I play roller hockey on my only two nights off. I -need- my roller hockey. The big coast trip you guys pulled off though... I saw it on the forums about two weeks to late. I was already planning on something similar for next year... I had a week vacation to use, but that week was already taken by the time I saw the forum post. :/ Just very bad timing.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My schedule just doesn't permit it. I play roller hockey on my only two nights off. I -need- my roller hockey. The big coast trip you guys pulled off though... I saw it on the forums about two weeks to late. I was already planning on something similar for next year... I had a week vacation to use, but that week was already taken by the time I saw the forum post. :/ Just very bad timing.

Shoot, I should have recruited you. But you don't post too often so you were kind of out of sight, out of mind. Maybe next year. I know you're bike is set up to go the distance. Now at least I'll remember to at least PM you.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After 1228 days coming off the showroom floor, brand spanking new.

P1010049.jpg

Out of 13,000 forum members, I'm not sure how many of have reached this milestone. Off the top of my head, only three. Gosling (where are you)? Cali Rider and Calidin. If I missed anyone, post up! Okay, make it four! Dunno!

This picture was take on the 20th of August 2010 when I was in LA for the big Pow Wow between the Northern and Southern California members

Bike is a 2006, but purchased brand new on April 10 2007. That's an average of 41 miles or 66 km a day

Kenny,
I suppose that's when you gave the motor a good revving up in Idyllwild last Saturday in celebration. :BLAA:

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm working on it.. I bought my FZ6 a week ago and have put 1200 miles on it.. :thumbup:

I have three things against me when it comes to putting a bunch of miles on a single bike..

1. I have a job, and when I'm working (all the time) I'm typically flying there, or driving with too much equipment to take on a bike. If I'm not home, I can't be riding..

2. Riding season (motorcycle) is from salt to salt. I ride as soon as the salt's washed off the roads in the spring, until they salt the roads in the winter.. I've ridden to work when it was 5 degrees F outside.. As soon as salt flies, I'm hoping for snow. Then I ride my other 600, which happens to be a 2003 Polaris 600 Classic..

3. Multiple bikes.. Can't ride them all at the same time, and I have them for different riding reasons..
2008 GL1800 Goldwing - Great for the long haul, or cold weather riding
2007 FZ6 - New toy set up for sport touring
2002 KLR650 - Old toy, set up for Adventure touring
1996 VFR750 - Hopefully sold soon.. Great bike, but the FZ6 is it's replacement.
1985 BMW R80 - Old classic airhead. Just plain fun to ride, but no wind protection so it's a summer bike.

Like I said, I want to ride them all, but I can't ride more than one at a time.. When I'm putting miles on one, I'm not putting miles on the others.. I average around 20K per year spread out on all the bikes.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a long riding season like in Cali, but I spend enough time in California to know that half of that riding time is spent at zero MPH, sitting on a freeway, looking at a 65 mph speed limit sign while you're not moving. Great area, if you could get rid of 98% of the people that are there..:BLAA:

I'll take the requirement of needing to snowmobile every time..:thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing 50K on my FZ6..

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm working on it.. I bought my FZ6 a week ago and have put 1200 miles on it.. :thumbup:

I have three things against me when it comes to putting a bunch of miles on a single bike..

1. I have a job, and when I'm working (all the time) I'm typically flying there, or driving with too much equipment to take on a bike. If I'm not home, I can't be riding..

2. Riding season (motorcycle) is from salt to salt. I ride as soon as the salt's washed off the roads in the spring, until they salt the roads in the winter.. I've ridden to work when it was 5 degrees F outside.. As soon as salt flies, I'm hoping for snow. Then I ride my other 600, which happens to be a 2003 Polaris 600 Classic..

3. Multiple bikes.. Can't ride them all at the same time, and I have them for different riding reasons..
2008 GL1800 Goldwing - Great for the long haul, or cold weather riding
2007 FZ6 - New toy set up for sport touring
2002 KLR650 - Old toy, set up for Adventure touring
1996 VFR750 - Hopefully sold soon.. Great bike, but the FZ6 is it's replacement.
1985 BMW R80 - Old classic airhead. Just plain fun to ride, but no wind protection so it's a summer bike.

Like I said, I want to ride them all, but I can't ride more than one at a time.. When I'm putting miles on one, I'm not putting miles on the others.. I average around 20K per year spread out on all the bikes.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a long riding season like in Cali, but I spend enough time in California to know that half of that riding time is spent at zero MPH, sitting on a freeway, looking at a 65 mph speed limit sign while you're not moving. Great area, if you could get rid of 98% of the people that are there..:BLAA:

I'll take the requirement of needing to snowmobile every time..:thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing 50K on my FZ6..

1. Get a different Job
2. Move to a sunnier climate (You can split lanes in Cali)
3. Get rid of the other bikes except for the FZ since it does everthing that the others do anyways.

See;)

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Get a different Job

But I LIKE my job. Been servicing paper making equipment for over 20 years.

2. Move to a sunnier climate (You can split lanes in Cali)

Spent enough time in Cali to know that it's the absolute last place in the USA that I'd want to live.. Too many people, too many stupid rules, and too many stupid people making more rules. (I'm also a Federally licensed firearms collector and shoot competitively on a regular basis, year around.)

3. Get rid of the other bikes except for the FZ since it does everything that the others do anyways.

The Wing offers long distance comfort and 2 up comfort, the KLR goes ANYWHERE, and the BMW is classic cool. And the VFR is for sale.

See;)

Lane splitting?? I'd just as soon live/ride somewhere that doesn't require it.

(how off topic can I go?:eek:) Cali is great for those that like that living condition.. As I said, if you got rid of 98% of the people there, I'd move.. Until that happens, I'll stay here.. I get to California for work about a half dozen times a year as it is.. (lots of paper machines converting all that recycled stuff in just the LA area, let alone a few around San Fran, and and northern part of the state.)

Like I said, I've put 1200 on the FZ6 in the last week. This weekend has me wandering gravel roads and class "B" roads in Iowa.. It's KLR territory..:D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Lane splitting?? I'd just as soon live/ride somewhere that doesn't require it.

(how off topic can I go?:eek:) Cali is great for those that like that living condition.. As I said, if you got rid of 98% of the people there, I'd move.. Until that happens, I'll stay here.. I get to California for work about a half dozen times a year as it is.. (lots of paper machines converting all that recycled stuff in just the LA area, let alone a few around San Fran, and and northern part of the state.)

Like I said, I've put 1200 on the FZ6 in the last week. This weekend has me wandering gravel roads and class "B" roads in Iowa.. It's KLR territory..:D

lol...I think I'd kill myself if I had to move back to the midwest.

I'm from way upstate NY...where the middle of no-where and no people consists of mountains and rivers and lakes...not rows and rows of corn and cow. I love the outdoors...I die of boredom in the midwest. You can get to more remote harder to reach places in Cali than you can anywhere in the midwest.

California has more open space than IL and it's actually extremely nice open space...not extremely boring flat corn and beans. I've done a ton of riding in southern WI...it's good, but does not hold a candle to the beautiful empty roads that I have in my backyard here. And I've got millions of acres of mountainous national forest to ride my KTM in just 1 to 3 hours away in multiple diretions.

Anyway....I like your choice of bikes and I'm glad you're enjoying the FZ. I hope you don't take offense to my comments...I was just giving my perspective like you did. Ever think of taking it to Blackhawk farms for a track day?

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway....I like your choice of bikes and I'm glad you're enjoying the FZ. I hope you don't take offense to my comments...I was just giving my perspective like you did. Ever think of taking it to Blackhawk farms for a track day?

No offense taken at all.. :thumbup: I enjoy the fact that I live where I do, and I live here by choice.. I travel all over the country for my job, and I live here because I like it.. If we all liked the same thing and lived there, it'd be a pretty boring country. ;)

Since you know the area, and where Blackhawk Farms is located (I'm 3 miles from BHF Raceway) I agree with you on corn.. My location is basically 20 minutes of ho-hum riding, to SW Wisconsin, NW IL, W IA and SE MN.. Basically, Mississippi Valley riding, and surrounding rivers.. In other words, miles and miles of 30 mph corners on roads, with decently vertical hills tossed in..

I've ridden in Cali, Colorado, Carolinas, Tennessee, all over the East Coast, etc.. Actually, I have a map somewhere of the states that I haven't ridden in, and I think there's only 10 states left?? Anyway, I've ridden them and many other places (AU/RSA/UK) and while they all have good feature, there's always been something that I didn't like, too..

I don't care where anyone else lives and I figure it's one of the biggest choices that I'm glad we all have.

In the end, home is where you hang your hat.. Mine's here.. :thumbup:

As far as Track Day at BHF, I've been out there for races, but my schedule doesn't jive with their's.. I'm typically gone during the week and the track days out there are usually on Wednesdays.. The few weekends they have don't work with my schedule. I did ride a track day at Shannonville Motorsports Park in Belleville, Ontario a few years back and had a blast!! Someday, BHF and I will be able to get together.. My luck, I'll get a flat while driving the 3 miles to the track.. :BLAA:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as Track Day at BHF, I've been out there for races, but my schedule doesn't jive with their's.. I'm typically gone during the week and the track days out there are usually on Wednesdays.. The few weekends they have don't work with my schedule. I did ride a track day at Shannonville Motorsports Park in Belleville, Ontario a few years back and had a blast!! Someday, BHF and I will be able to get together.. My luck, I'll get a flat while driving the 3 miles to the track.. :BLAA:

Check out NESBA...I did a few weekend track days with them at BHF a couple years ago. Might be an option for you. Group group of people. They run early April through late October or even November sometimes. :thumbup:

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about taking the topic this far off topic.. But then again, I've alway found it'll really add life to a subject and get people thinking..:thumbup:

Thanks for the NESBA info!! I'll check em' out!
I'm tossing a set of Michelin PRoad II on next week, so now's the time, but it's always my schedule that gets in the way.. Trip to the U.P. of Michigan to do some offroading, a buddy's wedding, promise to help move another buddy due to a job change.. It never ends..

Oh, and a Fiance that I seldom get to see.. I suppose I should spend some time with her on some weekend.. ;) I've only had the FZ6 for a week. I'll have to lock in some time with it at BHF when I can..

Hopefully, before it turns 50K miles.:BLAA:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Nice!!!

Mine just clocked over 100 000km ... i reckon me and her around the 50k mi together. Still love her, nothing i've seen yet makes me want to trade her in.

I'll get a pic of her clocks the weekend.

:rockon:

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
Cali is great for those that like that living condition.. As I said, if you got rid of 98% of the people there, I'd move.. Until that happens, I'll stay here.. I get to California for work about a half dozen times a year as it is.. (lots of paper machines converting all that recycled stuff in just the LA area, let alone a few around San Fran, and and northern part of the state.)

The beauty of California is that it is big, with varied geography and people. If you don't like most L.A people (and who outside of L.A. does?), there is San Francisco which has a more arty vibe. If you want more conservative military people combined with a twist of laid back, try San Diego. If you want very conservative and affordable housing, try the San Joaquin Valley. Want laid back with a slow pace of life, and have lots of money to spend on a house? Try the central coast.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
When you use your bike as your only ride, and ride every single day. Sometimes it's tough to find an excuse to go ride.

Just wanted to second this. 30 miles each way to work, 8 months a year, and my 07 just hit 30,050 miles yesterday. Needs a new chain and maybe brake pads, but otherwise she feels new.