33BHP restriction, FZ6

haylo

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a FZ6 2 months ago, passed my test 2 weeks ago, it's an A2 restricted test, meaning I'm restricted to 33BHP. The dealer restricted the bike for me for free, today I removed the restriction, just to see what it was like.. All I can say is 'OMFG'. The power is insane, no-wonder under 21's have to be restricted here. The power that is available would be absoluteley deadly to rider that's just passed there test.

I thought the bike was quick restricted, but un-restricted, you just have to hold on for dear life. And the noise it makes when you hit 8k RPM is almost orgasmic. :D

The restriction that is on my bike is different to the ones I've seen on here, but it's the same in principle - throttle restriction. On my one, theres a larger roller that the throttle cable attaches too, but the existing roller is still there, the new one screws over the existing one. This is so that the bike actually has more then 1cm of throttle and the bike isn't as snatchy and the power feels smooth. As well as the roller it also has a small metal plate stopping the roller from opening all the way, which is the bit I removed. It's sooo easy it's silly, I simply undid the nut with my hand and the plate slips off. Was a little fiddly trying to get my fingers in but not that hard. Since I had a 'little blast', I've replaced the stop, I've been riding bikes for 3 years (allbeit 125's), and I aint ready for how much power is available yet, cos I know I'm not sensible enough to have that much and not use it. :thumbup:

haylo

Reaction score
Visit site
It's common in the UK. If you're under 21 you have to take a restricted test, same test as the full licence, just on a 125cc bike, then you're restricted to 33bhp for 2 years.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It's common in the UK. If you're under 21 you have to take a restricted test, same test as the full licence, just on a 125cc bike, then you're restricted to 33bhp for 2 years.

I guess that's a pretty good law. I wish they had something like that here in the states, it might prevent some pointless accidents. Do they offer any type of courses so you can get the restriction lifted before 21? I think that would be fair, not everyone under 21 is an idiot..:shakehead:

haylo

Reaction score
Visit site
No, they don't. But if you take your test at 17, after the 2 year period you'll be unrestricted at 19. If you take the test at 20, you still need to wait 2 years, but once you're 21 you can take the test again and be unrestricted.

Not everyone under 21 is an idiot, no, but how do you know wether someone IS going to be an idiot, and somebody who ISN'T going to be an idiot. A course is not going to stop them being idiots, they'll just be idiots after the course. Our test over here is allready extremely extensive in order to stop motorcycle deaths. The goverment deem people over 21 mature enough to be sensible with all the power, allthough that isn't strictly true, it helps.

Last edited:

haylo

Reaction score
Visit site
:eek:.... We can't even drive at 16. Our 16 year old over here are only allowed on 50cc mopeds. :eek: Can you imagine a 16 year old on an r1? I'd give them 30 seconds before they're dead.

Brad

Senpai
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek:.... We can't even drive at 16. Our 16 year old over here are only allowed on 50cc mopeds. :eek: Can you imagine a 16 year old on an r1? I'd give them 30 seconds before they're dead.

We see it on the news from time to time. I got my driver license at 16 and motorcycle endorsement at 17. FZ6 is my first street bike, un-restricted of course cause we don't do that over here. Sorta wish we did tho, allot of kids I know that ride are completely retarded when it comes to safety.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know...... how about a 16 year old in a brand new Dodge Daytona Turbo wrapping you and your freind around a telephone pole at 60mph like my freind Joe did to me and Wes when we were in the 10th grade on our way to school.by the grace of God none of us were hurt.I did lose 3 of my best freind's to a car accident at 17 they were in a Dodge Turbo Conquest doin 130mph and hit a bridge railing.your hp restrictions laws make good sense to me.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a FZ6 2 months ago, passed my test 2 weeks ago, it's an A2 restricted test, meaning I'm restricted to 33BHP. The dealer restricted the bike for me for free, today I removed the restriction, just to see what it was like.. All I can say is 'OMFG'. The power is insane, no-wonder under 21's have to be restricted here. The power that is available would be absoluteley deadly to rider that's just passed there test.

I thought the bike was quick restricted, but un-restricted, you just have to hold on for dear life. And the noise it makes when you hit 8k RPM is almost orgasmic. :D

The restriction that is on my bike is different to the ones I've seen on here, but it's the same in principle - throttle restriction. On my one, theres a larger roller that the throttle cable attaches too, but the existing roller is still there, the new one screws over the existing one. This is so that the bike actually has more then 1cm of throttle and the bike isn't as snatchy and the power feels smooth. As well as the roller it also has a small metal plate stopping the roller from opening all the way, which is the bit I removed. It's sooo easy it's silly, I simply undid the nut with my hand and the plate slips off. Was a little fiddly trying to get my fingers in but not that hard. Since I had a 'little blast', I've replaced the stop, I've been riding bikes for 3 years (allbeit 125's), and I aint ready for how much power is available yet, cos I know I'm not sensible enough to have that much and not use it. :thumbup:
Congrats on your first "big" bike mate. :cheer:

You'll get used to the 33bhp with enough riding. Then you can start riding more aggressively and still be safe. It's just so different to 125s - more weight to lug around - but much more power and 3 more cylinders! Hard to believe at first though!

Then, when you get to derestrict, you'll take a bit of time getting used to that, then be able to use more and more of the bike's power. Just keep it legal - especially with all the GATSOs we have round here! :(

Z

Zealadin

I went from a FZX250 to the FZ6, the power is alot more useable, and I don't need to push the bike to its limits as much, but in my early days it would have been a bit scarier starting on a 600.
Being stupid on a restricted bike will get you killed just as easily as on a unrestricted bike though, the main hope is that you learn enough early on once you progress to more power you will be smart enough to know when you can and can't use it.

Here you have to buy a restricted bike (or just a learner bike), because that system doesn't really accurately limit a bikes power to weight ratio (thats how they limit what bikes you can use here) and its so easily removed. Once a bike is unrestricted it can't be changed back legally also.

Najum

Reaction score
Visit site
Its normal to restrict Bikes if the riders is under 21, its a European rule actually. In many countries even riders have to re-do the test once the get over 21 on a bike bigger than 33 BHP. Here in Czech republic Riders must pass Unrestricted license even if he/she has 22 BHP Licence for two years.

Actually it will be pretty much impossible go get drivers Licence for bikes over 33 BHP since the "SECOND Directive is gonna be implemented soon in Europe".

So one must be consider himself lucky if he/she already has a bike Licence in Europe.
--------------------------------------------------
The 2nd European Driving Licence Directive

This big issue in this one is about the more difficult off-road manouvres test.

The EC 2nd Directive didn't actually call for this, our own DSA dreamt it up, gold plated it with every safety-pressure-group's preferences, then decided it was too dangerous to do on public roads! The DSA had until 2005 to implement the 2nd Directive, but because they'd added this stuff they couldn't do it in time. So the EC gave an extension to 2008. And because they made such a mess of building the new Multi-Purpose Test Centres, its now going to happen sometime in 2009.

Basically, there's a 'Brake and Swerve' as well as the existing 'Emergency Stop'. The 'Brake and Swerve' is just what it sounds like, and it must be conducted at 'sufficient speed' to make it a sensible test of motorcycle control. This is considered too dangerous to do on public roads, so many new test centres will have to be constructed, with sufficient off-road area to get up to speed and do this test.

Z

Zealadin

We have to do a basic starter course here to get a certification for a 'learners' license, which is held for 3-6 months, before doing another more advanced course including braking manuevors, low speed turns, obstacle avoidance, etc etc, which then allows you to progress to your probationary license, which when I did it lasted 12-18 months, but now lasts 3 years. To get your full license you do a rather retarded computer test.

During the learning and probationary period you have to use an approved motorbike, up to 660cc, but that has a power to weight ratio somewhere lower then the 33-34hp mark (I know cbr250rrs are about that mark and they are allowed)
That being said you can't -restrict- a bike that doesn't come stock L's legal,

Luckily our governments are looking out for a wallets best interests! I mean our best interests! :D

Actionmike

Reaction score
Visit site
The 2nd European Driving Licence Directive

This big issue in this one is about the more difficult off-road manouvres test.

The EC 2nd Directive didn't actually call for this, our own DSA dreamt it up, gold plated it with every safety-pressure-group's preferences, then decided it was too dangerous to do on public roads! The DSA had until 2005 to implement the 2nd Directive, but because they'd added this stuff they couldn't do it in time. So the EC gave an extension to 2008. And because they made such a mess of building the new Multi-Purpose Test Centres, its now going to happen sometime in 2009.

Basically, there's a 'Brake and Swerve' as well as the existing 'Emergency Stop'. The 'Brake and Swerve' is just what it sounds like, and it must be conducted at 'sufficient speed' to make it a sensible test of motorcycle control. This is considered too dangerous to do on public roads, so many new test centres will have to be constructed, with sufficient off-road area to get up to speed and do this test.

Northern Irelands joke of a government likes to jump on any passign bandwagon, as such i had to do that off road test for my licence few months back, its not as bad as people make out, not on a 125 anyway, thou i was lucky enough to do it in the dry. I think the people that got hurt where trying to brake and swerve at the same time, rather than brake then swerve.

Ofc anywhere else in the uk as im 25 i could have done direct access, but as NI has to do things its own way, i have to do 2 years at 33bhp while not exceeding 45mph. As a result 90% of new riders here are criminals as very very few obey these laws.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
:eek: HP restriction? Geez... Haven't you heard of "natural selection"? :D How do you people keep from poluting the gene pool if you don't let the idots splater themselves all over the pavement?

Last edited: