2up stopping funny.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Today my wife leaned against me when I was coming to a stop. I had a really hard time keeping the bike balanced. I finally stopped, but slightly in the dirt and grass from where I meant too. When she sits normally, I dont have the problem. I know she is adding weight to the front wheel, is it that as the bike is slowing down, there is too much weight so its fighting the physics? Kind of scary and i'm glad we werent in an emergency stop situation. I told her to not lean against me when we slow down or stop. Anybody ever have that happen to them? I guess that also shows how weak that front fork spring really is.

W

wrightme43

You can definitly use more rear brake with a passenger. You can use tons of front brake too though. Nate did a two up stoppie. Thats some hella stopping right there. Might wanna take her to a parking lot geared up and practice with her. Passengers need to learn what to do in a safe place too.
Team riding. LOL

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah if the passenger doesnt know how to lean with the bike or rider or where to put their weight it can be a problem! I'd practice and explain to them how to act while in the back seat :D

H

HavBlue

Today my wife leaned against me when I was coming to a stop. I had a really hard time keeping the bike balanced. I finally stopped, but slightly in the dirt and grass from where I meant too. When she sits normally, I dont have the problem. I know she is adding weight to the front wheel, is it that as the bike is slowing down, there is too much weight so its fighting the physics? Kind of scary and I'm glad we weren't in an emergency stop situation. I told her to not lean against me when we slow down or stop. Anybody ever have that happen to them? I guess that also shows how weak that front fork spring really is.

When you ride with pillion the single greatest mistake that is often made is set up. A bike that is set up for the solo rider will not perform properly when the weight of the pillion is added. Things like tire pressure and shock pre-load can make a huge difference on how that bike reacts to the additional weight.

Steve is quite right in that team riding is an understanding between the rider and pillion that allows the two to become one. Done correctly, the rider will hardly know the pillion is even there. Case in point, my wife and I have spent so many miles together on bikes I don't even think about it any more. We never ride 2up on the FZ6 because that isn't what I bought it for. Rather, we ride the Sporty. One day while out we had gone to a car show and stopped at a light. When the light turned green I just took off never thinking she wasn't right there at the ready as she always is. As I took off I felt this weight shift only to find out she was snoozing back there. She grabbed my hips and pulled herself back up as we were both laughing. She hadn't done that in years. Seems there was an antique shop she was looking at as opposed to staying focused so she missed the light. My point is this, just as the rider must always be focused, so should the pillion. Things like helmets hitting, leaning the wrong way or too much are all a part of the pillion's learning curve. Again, as Steve mentioned, find a big open parking lot and practice all your drills from braking to turning to accelerating from a stop. This will bring the two of you closer together and the ride will be much more fun.

Don't forget the set up, it's well worth changing..

Good luck,
Charlie