22k+ miles on my tires time for new ones

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have gotten over 22k miles out of my pilot road 2 tires and still have some tread on them for a few thousand more. However I have to say goodbye. The tires have been on the bike since 06 (I have owned the bike 2 years) and the tread is starting to show cracks due to their age. Not to mention the flat spot I have worn into them from commuting over 600 miles each month. This brand has been very good to me so I am going to replace with the same.

I'm sad to see them go before their time.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I have gotten over 22k miles out of my pilot road 2 tires and still have some tread on them for a few thousand more. However I have to say goodbye. The tires have been on the bike since 06 (I have owned the bike 2 years) and the tread is starting to show cracks due to their age. Not to mention the flat spot I have worn into them from commuting over 600 miles each month. This brand has been very good to me so I am going to replace with the same.

I'm sad to see them go before their time.

Wow, that's some pretty damned good mileage. I have about 8k on mine right now and plenty left to go! Pretty amazing for how well these things grip in the turns. Gotta love multi-compound tires.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that is outstanding mileage. I was on the fence between PR2 and the BT023. Seems PR2 is well worth the extra cost.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great news, as that's what I bought for my last set (only about 4,000 on them so far).
A caution for you: when you go from old, squared-off (the flat spot you mentioned) tires to brand-new tires, the bike is going to handle completely different. It was a lot more fun in the twisties, but also very different at walking speed, and the unfamiliar handling (combined with stalling the engine while driving through a gutter) caused me to drop her. :(
If you're like me, you won't let your next set square off so much; the bike handles so much better without the square shoulders, you won't mind getting new tires a little more often. Be careful, and let us know your comments when you get the new tires on! :thumbup:

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
22k miles -> 35405 kms

dude, you have to baby them a lot to obtain such mileage

I don't ride really hard, actually I conmute every day rain or shine and the most I have gotten from a pirelli diablo strada rear (also double compound) has been 12000 kms -> almost 7500 miles

Anyway you there have different kind of roads.

Cheers.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Cool, I picked up a nail in the OEM rear yesterday so I searched through here earlier today and went with the PR 2 as well. Glad to see how well it's performing for everyone.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'd like to see pics of the tyres, as 22k miles seems far too much. Even if they're not hitting the wear indicators, I'd have changed them for profile reasons far earlier. Enjoy your new rubber!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the tires have been changed and I didn't get pics but I do have a theory to explain the amount of mileage I got out of them. Except for the 2500 miles I put on them going to/back and riding at the deals gap meet last year most of the miles were put on commuting. My commute (on the bike) is 35miles roundtrip a day. So that is only 17.5 miles one way almost all on the highway. There isn't much time for the tires to get and stay warm so there isn't much wear on them daily. Plus I don't ride it like I stole it.

In 2 to 3 years when I wear out this set I will be sure to take pictures so you all will believe me ;).