2015 Daytona Bike Week. Day 2 (demo'd Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi, Indian)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1st bike demo'd: FJ09

attachment.php

I am happy to say that throttle response is better than on 2014 FZ09. While not buttery smooth, it's not nearly as jerky. In A-mode, it's still quite abrupt, but in standard mode it's not bad at all. It was a bit unhappy while just crawling at low RPM.. there was a bit of surging going on.. again, not all that bad.

Power is plentiful and is at your finger tips at a reasonably low RPM (3k).. better low end torque than on my FZ1 (I said the same thing about FZ09.. so that makes sense).

Brakes are good, suspension is not bad at all. Transmission is no different from other Yamahas. Not bad, but not exactly smooth.
Random bits: Windscreen height adjustment is quirky.. 2 hard-to-get-two knobs have to be loosened to lower/raise the screen.. so obviously not an on-the-fly deal. Love the handguards.. no wind at all on hands.. should be great in colder weather. Unfortunately did not get to highway speeds, so not sure about wind, but I'm willing to bet there's plenty of buffeting with stock screen.. regardless of screen setting.
One minor annoyance (and this would apply to FZ09 too).. if you have relatively big feet and ride with your toes on pegs (like you would on the track).. you kind of cannot. The heals of your boots will hit passenger pegs before you can slide your feet back far enough. I can easily deal with it, but would prefer to not have to.

Overall riding impression is positive. Bike feels light; ergonomics are excellent; all controls work they way they should; not a lot of vibration and lots of power.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.. I'll try to answer them.

2nd bike demo'd: FZ07

attachment.php

I'm thoroughly impressed with this one. It's light as a feather and narrow as a bicycle. The opposite of intimidating. It's anything, but slow.. very good acceleration. I'd say it's got more low end than FZ6, but of course it starts dropping off where FZ6 just wakes up. All in all, it has plenty of go to scare the pants off of new riders, should you think this is a great beginner bike (though I do think it can be).

Ergonomics are very good, clutch is very light, brakes are more than adequate. I would mind one of these for around town riding and occasional back roads fun.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Next 3 bikes (Indian Scout, Kawasaki Versys 650, Suzuki Busa)

Did not get a shot of the Scout, so here's a stock photo :)

0801-Indian-scout-970.jpg

This bike is quite impressive. Over 100hp, loads of torque and 550 pounds.. not bad at all. The major difference between these bikes and the ones we ride (sport or sport touring).. loads and loads of low end torque. This bike will happily pull hard from 2k rpm all the way to the red line.. not that you'd know where it was, since it has no tech, but you get the idea.

It's a fun bike to ride in it's own way. I enjoyed dragging pegs hard on just about every corner (intentionally.. just goofing around).

Kawasaki Versys. Once again no pic, so here's another stock photo

2015-Kawasaki-Versys-650-561x374.jpg

There may have been something wrong with the demo bike I rode last year.. I think it was my least favorite bike of everything I'd ridden in 2014. I'm happy to say 2015 felt better in every category. Can't tell you if they really reworked it so much, but this bike felt pretty darn good. Similar to FJ09, in fact. Not nearly as powerful as FJ09, but very similar in terms of ergonomics. Front brake is OK, but still lacks feel, in my opinion.. but at least it worked well enough to not need more than 2 fingers (I had to use 4, on 2014 model).

Busa:
attachment.php

Nothing new from last year when I rode it, so not much to say. It's a shockingly nice bike to ride. The drivetrain is just so darn good. Buttery smooth transmission, smooth clutch engagement and the power.. oh my the power!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to try the FZ07 and the FJ09.

The 07 seems right up my alley with its focus on low weight and nimbleness. I feel like it'd get really good mileage too

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric, if you happen to be along for a day 3, hop on the VMAX for kicks. Although, if you never got to highway speeds as part of the serving, its likely pointless.

The V4 makes some torque and actually turns pretty OK too and pretty good suspension for a pig.
~ paused to look it up; some say 185 wheel hp w/128ft-lbs of torque but at 685lbs she's not for everyone! :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric, if you happen to be along for a day 3, hop on the VMAX for kicks. Although, if you never got to highway speeds as part of the serving, its likely pointless.

The V4 makes some torque and actually turns pretty OK too and pretty good suspension for a pig.
~ paused to look it up; some say 185 wheel hp w/128ft-lbs of torque but at 685lbs she's not for everyone! :D

Suzuki is the only company to include a short stretch of highway on their demo. I'll add VMAX to the list. I doubt it'll *shock* me.. having ridden Busa and ZX14. Busa puts out 100 foot pounds and 160+hp and weighs about 550 wet. Either way.. looking forward to it :thumbup:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you like the FZ07. I built an exhaust kit for a 07 last year and had the opportunity to ride the bike for a week, mostly commute and a bit of freeway. I really enjoyed how light and agile the bike was. With exhaust & tune the bike pick up a nice gain at mid range... plenty of torque. Kind of ran out of steam quick pass 8K but this is not what the bike was design for.

IMO it would have been a better platform to buit an adventure touring bike (FJ07). Pair that with a 5 gals fuel tank & some luggages... that would be close to 300 miles a tank and a perfect IBA machine with the rifht mod. Planing on trading the FZ6R for one of those down the road.

Won't be able to make it this year... busy down here

FLPicker

Reaction score
Visit site
Never thought to see if anyone from the forum would be in Daytona. I am new to the forum and do not get on it often. Looked at the first pic you took of the FJ09 and......there I am, in the background, with my wife. I am standing in the back in a green shirt and an orange design, checking my phone. my wife is sitting at the table staring off to the left. Darn it, we may have even talked. If you saw my FZ06 in the parking lot, it was the red one with the tall Cee Bailey screen. I had a blast riding bikes for a couple of days. I saw on your other post you road the FJR, sweet huh? Did you ride the Concours? I thought it was pretty great.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never thought to see if anyone from the forum would be in Daytona. I am new to the forum and do not get on it often. Looked at the first pic you took of the FJ09 and......there I am, in the background, with my wife. I am standing in the back in a green shirt and an orange design, checking my phone. my wife is sitting at the table staring off to the left. Darn it, we may have even talked. If you saw my FZ06 in the parking lot, it was the red one with the tall Cee Bailey screen. I had a blast riding bikes for a couple of days. I saw on your other post you road the FJR, sweet huh? Did you ride the Concours? I thought it was pretty great.

Wow that's awesome! You gonna be there again?
Have not ridden Connie this year (not yet), but rode it last year.. did not like it. You can see my *review* if you search for "daytona 2014". :)

FLPicker

Reaction score
Visit site
Not this year. We rode back home to Tampa Bay Area yesterday. I thought the FJR was more of a sport bike and really great. I felt at home on it right away. The fJR is way better looking in my opinion as well. The concours just fit me better and I think it would suit my riding better. Even with the seat in the tall position my knees were hitting the fairing on the FJR.

enjoy your time in Daytona.