2014 Ninja 1000 ABS

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha better be working on staying competitive......cause if I was buying a new bike it would be this one!

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Preview

Damn, that looks nice and the specifications are enticing. Wonder what the overall weight is, as that's always a big deal with me. (I've never been very strong and as my age advances, it gets worse)

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember walking into the Toronto bike show and seeing the first year model with the hard bags without even hearing about the bike beforehand. Love at first sight.

The reviews dampened my desire a bit, but I still want one pretty bad. Notably, there was a bad vibration right around the cruising rpm, and the fuel range was crappy for a sport tourer. Hopefully they fixed those issues with this revision

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tested the 2013 model few months ago and I think it's a great bike. Very close in feel to FZ1, but with several modern touches (like 3-way adjustable screen and ABS). Integrated cases look pretty good too.

Vibration is relative.. yes there is some, but it's less than FZ6, no matter what the rpm.

Fuel eco IS crappy (same as FZ1).. about 36-37 if you're riding gently.

Weight is up there.. with cases it has to be over 500 wet (again, same as FZ1).

Some FZ6 riders would probably miss the lack of center stand on this one (not a huge deal.. it does have threads for rear stand spools).

If I was in the market for a liter tourer right now, I would still go for FZ1.. because it's been out longer and can be had for less $$ (I never buy new) :D

chroline

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
wow why did they updated the saddle bags, they are FUGLY. Yamaha got a new 2014 FJR. They cost a few more coins but it has a lot going for it...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow why did they updated the saddle bags, they are FUGLY. Yamaha got a new 2014 FJR. They cost a few more coins but it has a lot going for it...

They updated side cases because last year's model used Givi. Obviously they'd rather make and sell their own.

FJR is a phenomenal bike, but it's a very different animal.. it's nearly 200 pounds heavier than Ninja/FZ1.

FJR is a sport tourer which happens to handle very well. Ninja is a sport bike which happens to be a capable tourer.

chroline

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
They updated side cases because last year's model used Givi. Obviously they'd rather make and sell their own.

FJR is a phenomenal bike, but it's a very different animal.. it's nearly 200 pounds heavier than Ninja/FZ1.

FJR is a sport tourer which happens to handle very well. Ninja is a sport bike which happens to be a capable tourer.

Ninja 1000 is ~500 lbs wet (not including saddle bags)
FJR ~ 640 lbs wet (including saddle bags)

so that's about 140lbs difference. Yet they get approximately same MPG and I will bet my money that the FJR will outrun the Ninja 1000 or FZ1. Other benefits includes standard unified braking with ABS, tractions control, cruise control, heated grips, shaft drive, saddle bags, 6.6gal tank, etc.

In conclusion for $2000 more I would go with the FJR.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ninja 1000 is ~500 lbs wet (not including saddle bags)
FJR ~ 640 lbs wet (including saddle bags)

so that's about 140lbs difference. Yet they get approximately same MPG and I will bet my money that the FJR will outrun the Ninja 1000 or FZ1. Other benefits includes standard unified braking with ABS, tractions control, cruise control, heated grips, shaft drive, saddle bags, 6.6gal tank, etc.

In conclusion for $2000 more I would go with the FJR.

Can't blame you at all for *choosing* FJR over the other too, but I stand by what I said. FJR is a completely different animal and when you say "outrun", I hope you don't mean aggressive riding (track day?). No way in hell will FJR outrun either Ninja 1000 or FZ1, in the hands of the same capable rider.

I'd absolutely LOVE the new FJR (I'd be happy with 2013 model.. I can do without electronic suspension). I test-rode one same day I test-rode Ninja 1000.. absolutely fell in love with it! No way I'm shelling out 15k for a bike though (at least not in near future).

Oh.. FJR actually gets BETTER fuel eco than Ninja/FZ1.. it can do 42 or so.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting bike except for the silencers - they would ave to go before I would even get on it!!!. Bought a new bike in December and the Ninja 1000 was on my list but a couple of things took it off. First is weight - wanted something light and nimble as I ride to work pretty much every day. Enjoy going thru the gears love the sound of in I4 at high RPM, etc. The Ninja 1000's 1st gear runs out to about 90 so it would be rare to run thru the gears. Don't want a bike I have to constantly be working with to keep the front wheel down and at that time the 1000 didn't have the traction control etc. Yea it would be fun to have a bike that could power wheelie in the first three gears but not for every day riding when you could not turn it off. How well do they handle? The testers always say "handles just like a sport bike" but I do wonder how the handling compares to the 600 and 1,000 supersports. Testers are always bragging about how great the big sport touring bikes handle but then you will read another review where the tester will make an offhand comment about how big and unweildy they are. BTW I'm totally in the demographic group it is aimed at. Don't get me wrong I like the bike, not trying to slam it but rather explain why it's not for me.

Yamaha what I really want is a modern FZ6! Is it so hard to take an R6 put more upright bars and more fairing on it but leave the engine and suspension alone? How about Kawasaki doing to the 636 the same thing they did to the 1000 - more upright riding position and bigger fairing.

In addition to the Ninja 1000 considered the Triumph Daytona 675 and Speed Triple. What I bought was a CBR600RR and added Heli risers, a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen and a Saddlemen seat. Have ridden 400 miles in a day a couple of times and once rode 600 miles. It is easier on long trips than my FZ6 was and gets about the same mileage (40 to 50 MPG) If I had not bought a new bike the FZ9 would certainly have my attention.

Let's hear your thoughts.