2014 fz-09

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks great. Just not sold on triples just yet. Can someone explain the pros vrs cons on both? I love the high revving 4 bangers and I'm really not a fan of the sound of v twins.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks great. Just not sold on triples just yet. Can someone explain the pros vrs cons on both? I love the high revving 4 bangers and I'm really not a fan of the sound of v twins.
From the video that was posted in one of the other threads, it sounds pretty close to the same as the current I4.

D

Dave.TX

I heard Yamaha was developing a triple, just didn't know what they were going to use them in. This looks nice! Much better than the FZ8. The Triumph Street/Speed Triples and Daytona are great bikes and have a good following.

Triples are usually not as high revving as an I4 and produce more torque - better for around town or city riding, even better for canyon carving to the average rider. I4's on the other hand are happier in the upper RPM's with less torque. A triple is an everyday motor, good at both lower and higher speeds. They don't quite match an I4 at the top of the range but most folks don't ride up there all the time anyway.

It's one less spark plug you have to buy. It is a bigger engine (847cc) over the FZ8, produces more HP and TQ and is 53lbs lighter. Street fighter I'd say!

http://rideapart.com/2013/06/how-the-yamaha-fz-09-compares-to-the-fz8/

http://youtu.be/7I7ZefPPYKk

Last edited by a moderator:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What Dave said about I4s, triples and V-twins. :thumbup:

It's been fun to note the differences between my Fizzer, which I've had since '07, and the BMW enduro I just got this spring. I love the sound of both, even though they''re totally different. The "from zero" torque on that boxer motor is a lot of fun, and more practical in the neighborhood; the fun torque on the FZ, even in first gear, already has you breaking some speed limits. :spank: Oh yeah, the FZ idles SOOO much smoother, I was surprised how much the beemer wiggles and shakes. I like the looks of the -09, and since I now have the beemer for any touring/slab riding, I would definitely be interested in the naked bike! :bow:

The Riddle of the Day: we have an FZ-6, an FZ-1, an FZ-8, and now an FZ-09. Why the change? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site

My understanding is that they came to realise that I3s offer the same sharp throttle response as their much vaunted cross-plane crankshaft. It also allows for a cheaper, lighter, more compact motor with a power curve that more people appreciate over the peaky output of an I4 (though I still prefer an I4). They will also help to differentiate Yamaha from the pack, giving them a more Euro-flavour (something Suzaki/Homaha are desperate to achieve so they can ask more $ for their bikes, like BMW, Triumph, KTM, Ducati et al.)
The strange/sad thing is, they went and designed the FZ-09 to a cut-rate price point again, with annoying details like the digital tach, cheap suspension, basic electronics, and generic looking headlight. So the value is good, but it's not remarkable in any way so it doesn't elevate the brand.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
The Riddle of the Day: we have an FZ-6, an FZ-1, an FZ-8, and now an FZ-09. Why the change? :confused:
That one's easy IMO. Since the I3 is going to be their new preferred layout for a whole series of engines, when they produce a 600-class engine and a litre-class engine, they will have to name them something other than FZ6 and FZ1. So the middleweight 850cc bike name should follow the new bike nomenclature, ie FZ-06 and FZ-01.
I'm really looking forward to the R06 supersport!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That one's easy IMO. Since the I3 is going to be their new preferred layout for a whole series of engines, when they produce a 600-class engine and a litre-class engine, they will have to name them something other than FZ6 and FZ1. So the middleweight 850cc bike name should follow the new bike nomenclature, ie FZ-06 and FZ-01.
I'm really looking forward to the R06 supersport!

That makes sense! :thumbup:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah another +1 on what Dave said. Tripples are the best of both worlds.

I too cant wait to see a R6 with a tripple, hopefully a much cheaper rival to the Triumph 675r. :drool:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
My understanding is that they came to realise that I3s offer the same sharp throttle response as their much vaunted cross-plane crankshaft. It also allows for a cheaper, lighter, more compact motor with a power curve that more people appreciate over the peaky output of an I4 (though I still prefer an I4). They will also help to differentiate Yamaha from the pack, giving them a more Euro-flavour (something Suzaki/Homaha are desperate to achieve so they can ask more $ for their bikes, like BMW, Triumph, KTM, Ducati et al.)
The strange/sad thing is, they went and designed the FZ-09 to a cut-rate price point again, with annoying details like the digital tach, cheap suspension, basic electronics, and generic looking headlight. So the value is good, but it's not remarkable in any way so it doesn't elevate the brand.

I agree on that. I love revving to the moon. Just feels great. And the exhaust sounds absolutely violent.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Sold my FZ6 earlier this year after buying a CBR600RR. Looked at the FZ8 and it is a (for me) step backwards from the FZ6. The FZ9 would have probably kept in in the Yamaha fold but too late. Really like the light weight and a narrower bike but darn again the went too cheap. What about a small fairing for upper body wind protection, adjustable suspension and better brakes? Would not care if it was $1,000 more.

Just my thoughts - loved my FZ6 loved Yamaha but they didn't have a bike for me :-( Really there is no real replacement for the FZ6! Everything is either too fast, too big, too adventure, etc. Want a light nimble sport touring bike that will carve up the canyons and then go touring. How about an R6 with more upright riding position and bigger fairing for more wind protection.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Looked at the FZ8 and it is a (for me) step backwards from the FZ6.

I felt the same when the FZ8 was released. Didn't see an upside to upgrading. I'm going to give the FZ-09 a hard look though. And then I'll probably stick with the FZ6. She really doesn't leave me wanting anywhere. First bike I've owned for more than 2 seasons. (Going on season 4 now)