2011 Tire Comparison

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought people might actually be able to use this...

I've done this here before, but the act of keeping a spreadsheet for 3 or 4 years running for all the choices and prices of tires for the fizzer highlights to me the fact that having one thread from 4 years ago about this isn't really ideal. So for the search nazi's who have "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" permamently saved to their clipboard for quick deployment, think about it... tire choices change pretty dramatically every year, and by the time 2 years have past, there's very little still on sale that hasn't changed. Thus, I started a new thread for 2011 tire choices. I know people are buying tires this year, and when they do, a lot of rave reviews for tire models that aren't out anymore (Metz Z6, BT-020, BT-021) is not incredibly useful.

So as I mentioned, to make it easier on myself every year when Tire Time is upon me, I drag out the same old spreadsheet. It shows me what models cost last year, which makes it easy to see how much they've gone up, and to see quickly which models are now no longer for sale. So far, from Motousa I've got the following:

tires2011all.jpg

And the important part is this:

tires2011sum.jpg

I had Z6's before my current tires and LOVED them. 14k miles, great grip til the end. Now I have 10k on a set of Z6 Interacts, and I am not in love with them. The wet grip is worse, the dry grip at lean is worse, and the wear is not quite as good. Same bike, same rider, same roads, same tire pressure. The front is cupping like a sonofabitch too. And hey, they're the most expensive tires here, so that make that easier.

So, please begin to discuss (ad nauseum) your love or hate for any of these models. Right now I am thinking about venting my anger at Metzeler by giving the Michelins a try, but the Road 2's or the Road 3's? Will letting the french get their foot in the door permanently kick the germans out? And why did the italians have to make that stupid angel image on their only offering in this tire category? So many questions.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Performance and mileage is the most important factor in determining which tires to purchase for me. Although price is an important factor too.

I have had no complaints with my Michellin's. I have gottin over 16,000 miles on the Pilot Powers, Pilot Power 2CT's, and I'm currently over 13,000 miles on my Pures. So it's not a feak in nature, they are consistent.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Performance and mileage is the most important factor in determining which tires to purchase for me. Although price is an important factor too.

I have had no complaints with my Michellin's. I have gottin over 16,000 miles on the Pilot Powers, Pilot Power 2CT's, and I'm currently over 13,000 miles on my Pures. So it's not a feak in nature, they are consistent.

So given a choice between the known entity (Pilot 2's) or the unknown (Pilot 3's), if it were your money (and you could afford either) which way would you go?

g_general

StarFrazed
Reaction score
Visit site
I got Pilot 3s from compacc.com for $289.38. Got them installed yesterday. :thumbup: And they are very impressive...:rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So given a choice between the known entity (Pilot 2's) or the unknown (Pilot 3's), if it were your money (and you could afford either) which way would you go?

Can't answer that because I run the sportier tires, I have never run on the Pilot Roads. But I'm guessing I could get maybe 20,000 out of those tires.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had Pilot Road 2's on my FZ6 and now on my Street Triple R. So far, have 12k miles on my PR2's on the Triumph with lots of tread left to go. They turn in nicely, are very consistent at lean, plenty of grip for everything short of a track day, and have great grip in the wet.

When it comes time to replace these, I'll certainly go with the PR2's again or the PR3's after some more mileage-reviews come in on them.