2011 Honda Crossrunner

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, did I ever stir up a hornets nest or what? :popcorn: Guess I shouldn't post up their 2011 Crosstourer Concept bike then, eh?

This will use the same engine as the "Crossdresser"... err, Crossrunner, mated to a new dual clutch transmission.

This will be (as Honda states) the first Adventure Tourer with a V$ engine layout...

2011 Honda V4 Crosstourer Concept, concept, spy shots

2011-Honda-V4CrosstourerConcepta-small.jpg
2011-Honda-V4CrosstourerConceptc-small.jpg
2011-Honda-V4CrosstourerConceptd-small.jpg
2011-Honda-V4CrosstourerConceptf-small.jpg

Haha! What were you thinking Wolfe1down???!!!

Now the concept looks a little more acceptable and deserving of the Adventure Touring badge. I'd still not take it serious off roading though. BMW F800GS or a KTM 990 Adventure for me!

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the crosstourer but not the crossrunner. Although I do like some elements of the concept (6+ inches of travel, wide bars, unique engine). That muffer is really ugly, but they seem to be more and more common these days.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the crosstourer but not the crossrunner. Although I do like some elements of the concept (6+ inches of travel, wide bars, unique engine). That muffer is really ugly, but they seem to be more and more common these days.

Yeah, the FZ8 has a can on it that isn't exactly sexy either... seems to be a trend...

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's that emissions nonsense. Aftermarket all the way. Too bad California is setting a dangerous precedent requiring ALL exhausts either stock or aftermarket to meet emissions requirements starting in 2013.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a fan, Why have such a nice single side sing arm and then cover it with such an ugly pipe.
If I get one of those all terrain, I'll like a shaft instead of a chain.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I wanted an "adventure bike" I'd get a big thumper, like a Honda XR650L. Or a big KLR650.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
undertail affects weight distribution. age old problem:

aesthetics or function.

personally, i pick function.

and big thumpers are the best option strictly from a cost perspective. 5 grand to go anywhere do anything is a great price and why ill probably end up in a KLR.

1200GS if I had a lot of money though.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think Honda is making some sharp-looking bikes. I like it!

As for ugly-ass exhausts, the Suzuki B-King takes the prize.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks to me like they're making use of the last gen VFR production line with new bodywork and tuning but a lot of underlying carry-over pieces (frame, motor, swingarm, wheels, etc). Sounds like a low-development dollar way to put an offering where they have basically none. The styling is a little derivative of the latest Ducati multistrada but also seems to be in the general direction that these more street-oriented but still all-purpose bikes are headed. That all sounds ok to me.

The biggest down-side I see in the specs is that it's curb weight is ~530lbs (240kg) - unless it somehow inherits the reported VFR "greater than the sum of it's parts" characteristic it may not be very fun on the street nevermind the occassional minor fire-road excursion.

Y

yukon_alex

Funny. I don't mind the looks and I might consider replacing my FZ (mmm, supplementing may be a better word) with one. I think the trend is that the new crop of "adventure" bikes are actually the latest in a long line of UJMs no matter where they are made.

I have been looking for a standard/naked bike with a good seat for rider and passenger and the only one I can find is the BMW R1200R. This Honda CrossDresser seems like the next best thing.

I guess we will have to ask one of our european motobrothers or motosisters to ride one and tell us what it's like!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
undertail affects weight distribution. age old problem:

aesthetics or function.

personally, i pick function.

and big thumpers are the best option strictly from a cost perspective. 5 grand to go anywhere do anything is a great price and why ill probably end up in a KLR.

1200GS if I had a lot of money though.

Mufflers under the seat have zero negative effect on "performance." Remember that once the rider is on the bike you've just added ~130 to 200 lbs above the center of gravity. So a muffler that weighs ~10 to 15 lbs really doesn't matter.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mufflers under the seat have zero negative effect on "performance." Remember that once the rider is on the bike you've just added ~130 to 200 lbs above the center of gravity. So a muffler that weighs ~10 to 15 lbs really doesn't matter.

240 lbs**

:p

Let's not forget about the more husky among us. :p

But it's also weight which is high and to the back end. Not a great place for it. Most people wouldn't notice it, but designers usually are more picky than riders on weight savings and little design details that have marginal effect on things.

I'm sure there's other reasons too, but at the end of the day, I'm just trying to say that there IS a reason for it. It might not be a great reason, but it is a reason nonetheless.

If it were up to me every bike made would have undertail exhaust. But it's not up to me. It's up to a short dutch guy wearing a lab coat.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
If I wanted an "adventure bike" I'd get a big thumper, like a Honda XR650L. Or a big KLR650.

Yeah I was looking at some XR videos last night - I think (as Lone says) it's great bang for your buck when it comes to an adventure bike. Would I care if a dropped it and scratched up the plastics a bit? No! If I dropped my Crossdresser (this name seems to be sticking!) I'd be worried my insurance company may write it off!