2008 Yamaha fz6 DROPPED value

trapezuchnap

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
I am buying a 2008 fz6 next week. the owner said the previous owner had dropped the bike, the damage is some scratches on the crank case and another scratch right above on the frame. The owner wants $2400 and the bike has 23000 miles, is this a good price, if not what is a fair price?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First.. :welcome: to our great forum!

As long as you take a good look at the frame to see there are no cracks etc. If it's just a scratch and not a gouge you should be good. At 24k the valve lash should be done and this will usually cost $300-400.
It should be done by an experienced tech or person with experience.

An FZ6 with minor blemishes is a great buy at that price. It is one of the best bikes ever made even at it's age.:)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Please post some pic's if you can. Those couple of scratches are easy and fairly cheap to fix.

If that's all that's wrong, it's not a bad deal at all. Check maintenance records.

If the fairing is bent (very likely and easily bent on a tip over), that's not cheap to fix..
To check that, put the bike on the center stand, wheel straight ahead, and look forward.

It shouldn't look crooked, space between the fuel tank and the fairing should be the same on both sides.

I paid 2K for mine(in 2009), 4,500 miles, but fairing, tank, etc scuffed from a lay down at speed.

New parts put it back to new condition and I sanded and painted scuffs in the frame...

Pic's of mine when I got it and after:

AFTER:

trapezuchnap

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome! I'm sure I will be using this site a lot in the coming future to share my experiences. And thanks for the heads up on the valve lash.

trapezuchnap

Reaction score
Visit site
Please post some pic's if you can. Those couple of scratches are easy and fairly cheap to fix.

If that's all that's wrong, it's not a bad deal at all. Check maintenance records.

If the fairing is bent (very likely and easily bent on a tip over), that's not cheap to fix..
To check that, put the bike on the center stand, wheel straight ahead, and look forward.

It shouldn't look crooked, space between the fuel tank and the fairing should be the same on both sides.

I paid 2K for mine(in 2009), 4,500 miles, but fairing, tank, etc scuffed from a lay down at speed.

New parts put it back to new condition and I sanded and painted scuffs in the frame...

Pic's of mine when I got it and after:

AFTER:

Wow you sure did a nice job fixing it up

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you..

Re the scrape on your frame.

Remove the bolt and slowly, with a vibrating hand sander, you should be able to get it smooth again. If the grooves are really deep, some bondo and sanding will work. My arm in the same place, had the same damage-can't see it now...

The "mole" (on the upper fairing), should be the same color as the rest of the fairing(available in the correct factory color from Yamaha).

But just looking at the pictures, looks like a great deal!

trapezuchnap

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you..

Re the scrape on your frame.

Remove the bolt and slowly, with a vibrating hand sander, you should be able to get it smooth again. If the grooves are really deep, some bondo and sanding will work. My arm in the same place, had the same damage-can't see it now...

The "mole" (on the upper fairing), should be the same color as the rest of the fairing(available in the correct factory color from Yamaha).

But just looking at the pictures, looks like a great deal!

Thanks for the instructions! i'll be sure to give that a try. I'll post some pictures of the before and after, I thought it sounded like a decent deal but I wanted to check with you guys first, so thank you