2008 FZ6-Bike Shuts off while shifting. Help

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
First and foremost thank you for reading this thread. I have been having problems with my 2008 FZ6 with 7000 miles on it.
Problem:I was out riding with a couple buddies today and there were two instances where I would be at a stop light, proceed to shift into first get to about 25 MPH then as I pull the clutch in and shift into second the bike would just completely shut off. This happened at three different times during my 6 hour riding day. I have also been having problems "On occasion" trying to get my fz6 into neutral/1st gear when coming to a stop (its almost as if my gears aren't clicking into place).
Again these problems do not occur all the time. It just happens on occasion. Please bare with me in reference to proper terminology. I am not Mechanically inclined.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I want to get the bike looked at by a mechanic but don't even know where to ask him to look

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Before you go to a mechanic make sure you have your idle speed set within spec and the clutch cable is adjusted correctly.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Having a correct Idle speed 1250-1350 rpm (owners manual will tell you how to adjust) may help with the shifting into 1st but I think it's more about technique. I like to have a pause between each downshift as the bike slows down. I usually shift into 1st around 10mph.

Now to the engine dying. Its a safety issue to me. Does it happen any other time? If the bike is stopped, idling, cuts out during other shifts? My thought is that it is independent of shifting but then again I can't argue with it happening 3 times. My thoughts on possible causes are:

1) if Idle is to low it may be stalling due to sudden rpm drop. Maybe only if Idle is really low.
2) Dirty fuel injectors or old fuel?
3) Kick stand safety switch (will kill engine anytime the bike is in gear with the kickstand down, or if faulty when it thinks the stand is down)

Ensure your idle is set correctly...

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same thing happen and I simply adjusted the idle speed a touch higher on my '07, no book, no mechanic, as easy as could be, just like any old bike. If you have tons of miles and are due for a valve adjustment that is a whole different deal. Get it looked at!

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I would agree with the above posts.

Set your rpm at 1250-1350 range. I noticed that the fz6 comes from factory at 900 rpm and you are supposed to take it up after the break in period, but lots of mechanics don't do it.

Also this happened to me . Finally i found out it was the gas. try to put a higher octane gas .

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to inspect the kick stand switch. If it thinks the stand is down it will kill it. Hopefully its a simple idle speed adjustment.

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
alright thanks guys. I will be sure to inspect the idle speed and the kickstand sensor once i get home today. I will keep everyone updated!

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a Power Commander installed on it? Mine would die when I pulled the clutch in shifting from 2nd to 1st. When I got into the mountains of Colorado it would die anytime I was down shifting. I unplugged the PC on the side of the road and the problem went away. Just a thought.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another consideration would be the kill/run switch. These seem to be a common failure on the FZ6 and generally will exhibit intermittent stalling before complete failure. You can make a temporary jumper across the 2 wires into the switch to eliminate it and if the symptom disappears you've found the problem.

The 2 wires colors are a red with a white tracer and a red with a black tracer.
Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
give the bike a service, new air filter... grease all the gear linkages .. some high octane fuel.. maybe a little water in the tank after winter condensation so put some dry fuel in as well.. Check your accelerator cable for too much play...
Failing that just raise the tickover