2007 fz6 wont start

ienetworking7

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone im izzy i have bought a 2007 fz6 with 32,000 miles on it and it was running great and then it would not shift out of first gear.Once i shifted it out of first gear the clutch wouldnt engage. So i got it home and the bike would try to start in first gear but it was like the clutch wasn't working. i would push the lever in and put it in neutral but the lever wasnt working. So im wondering if my clutch went out completley? i didnt have any slippage before hand.IT feels like the clutch lever isn't engaging but i had a mechanic friend over and he thinks its the clutch.. i can not get the bike to start now. it just shows the engine sign when i try to turn it on.. Any help would be so appreciated.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Many questions and some not quite so clear...

(1) Will the engine crank over and engine start in NEUTRAL? Is the RED KILL SWITCH in the RUN POSITION?

If not in neutral, there's several switches designed to keep the engine from turning over(IE kick stand down).

If not, please put a voltmeter on the battery and see what your voltage is. Fully charged should be around 12.8 volts.

Cranking/spinning over, it shouldn't drop much below 10.5-11.0 volts... You CAN jump start the battery from a GOOD, NON-RUNNING car ,
(automotive battery)

(2) re the clutch and shifting, disconnect both ends of the clutch cable at the top and bottom. Lubricate them with oil and make sure the cable moves in and out smoothly.

(3) Once the clutch cable is addressed, make sure you have about 3/8" free play at the handlebar lever.

Also, have you abused the clutch recently (burn outs, high RPMs from a slow/dead stop wheelie?) or know of previous abuse?

If not, the clutch is probably fine. They take a good amount of abuse but check the basics first, CLUTCH cable, battery, etc

Report back and we'll go from there...

Last edited:

ienetworking7

Reaction score
Visit site
The engine will not crank over at it and yes it is on the run postion. The battery is brand new so its is okay. The clutch cable is a lil worn but im going to replace that. The motor will not crank over or anything. it

just shows the little engine sign when i try to turn it on. I thought even if it was the cable would it still turn on just by pulling at the end of the cable? also my friend checked the clutch and said it looked okay

however there was this little bar sticking out of the case that i assume goes to shift. He has never seen it .. its goes in the clutch cover a little bar with slides across them. I did not abuse the clutch at all no

burnouts or anything. i do ride the bike at like 6000 rpms idk if thats high.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clutch; perhaps a video or even some still photos of both the lever and the engines right side at the clutch lever.
Does the lever pull with resistance and does the smaller lever on the engines right side track its movement?

Diagnostic mode may show us the reason the CEL is on.
From Key OFF; push and hold BOTH buttons down in the gauge cluster.
Turn the ignition to the Run position while holding the buttons down and keep them down for 8 - 10seconds.
It should enter diagnostic mode where you can read the errors stored.

Please navigate to the Technical Section of this forum and read the Sticky Pinned to the top of that section.

Troubleshooting & maintenance guide, Fuel Pump, Battery & Charging, Diagnostics, Brake Bleeding

Post #6, -->> METER DIAGNOSTIC MODE & ERROR CODES... Read that and tell us the codes your CEL is telling you about.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It coupled with the RS case are a rack & pinion of sorts. Rotation of the shaft in the case pulls that plunger outwards which disengages the clutch. The bearing holding that little plunger/shaft has failed on occasion which if this happens, the plunger Does Not disengage the clutch. The bearing should have minimal end play and turn (rotate), smoothly even with force applied to it.

To remove the cover it is normal for it to hang there in a limp fashion. Notice the indexing dot and arrow on the RS cover and shaft. When the gears are properly meshed, the arrow aligns about the time the lever obtains tension to disengage the clutch!

Also; we abide by copyright laws and unfortunately the image above must be removed. Sorry.

Last edited:

ienetworking7

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for letting me know.. and yes it was limp but seemed fine.. we didnt know what it was... also thank you i deleted the photo...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Part #7 is the part/bearing, FI was referring to: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W CLUTCH Diagram

When you pull in the clutch lever, THAT BEARING pulls the pressure plate outwards, disengaging the clutch. If that bearing fails(and as noted does), the clutch won't disengage..

Can someone post what the "PART" is that was loose on the cover?

The alignment marks referred to earlier,(installed and adjusted):

ienetworking7

Reaction score
Visit site
i believe its called the pull rod . its connected to the case.. ok i see i will look at that and see if that might be the problem.. that piece that the arrows is pointing to (bearing i think its called ) is loose like really loose. I thought it should be really tight to where you cant turn it with your finger ?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Click on the link I provided above, its your entire clutch and what part is "really loose"?

Bearings 19 and 20 should hold that main shaft from wobbling. There shouldn't be ANY SIDEWAYS PLAY... It'd be VERY ODD for those bearings to fail, but....

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW; if the lever was rotated past the marks and inward towards the engine; its very likely the bearing failed. Remove the bolts on the clutch cover and remove the clutch cover so the bearing can be inspected.

Also, if the friction discs are burned, replace them now while you're there...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add, the pic I posted of my clutch, lower lever/ marks, were at REST, clutch engaged...

And as noted above, should NOT have any sideways play. It doesn't move much to start with, if those bearing failed.shaft worn, it definitely wouldn't work right if at all...

PM sent too..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From our OWN Site....
2007++ FZ6 Parts Reference Diagram/Images X46

The Shaft (22) when rotated pulls on (8) which applies force to the bearing (7) pulling against those springs (10) and separating the clutch cover (9) allowing the clutch to slip.
If the bearing fails, all the movement is lost and the clutch will not DISengage.
clutch.gif

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
More Bits.... Did you find out anything about the CEL and Error Codes?

Attachments

• ClutchRod1.jpg
    ClutchRod1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 163
  • ClutchAssembly2.jpg
    ClutchAssembly2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 59
  • ClutchAssembly.jpg
    ClutchAssembly.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Clutch2.jpg
    Clutch2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Clutch1.jpg
    Clutch1.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 319

ienetworking7

Reaction score
Visit site
number 25 the push lever assembly is really loose.. also the clutch rod pic as shown above i didnt see that on the bike at all..it just had #8 into the cover case

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
number 25 the push lever assembly is really loose.. also the clutch rod pic as shown above i didnt see that on the bike at all..it just had #8 into the cover case

This shaft is in the RS cover you removed. These teeth operate # 8. Did you inspect the bearing? PS - come assembly time, you rotate the exposed lever and index the gears while fitting the case to the engine. Again; the goal is that once the cover is down flush to the block, the arrow and punch mark align. It may take a few tries so leave the gasket and sealer aside until you figure it out. Once you frind the happy spot, clean it, seal it with a new gasket and fit it together.

WARNING; if new clutch discs are intalled they must soak in engine oil BEFORE installation. Figure 4hr but overnight is best.

65915d1452786261-2007-fz6-wont-start-clutchrod1-jpg

Last edited:

ienetworking7

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to update everyone and i took it to a shop after fighting with it a couple days.. they said my clutch cable is bad and the reason my bike wont start is the solenoid for the starter went out.. I will up date on tuesday after they install the parts

ienetworking7

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE..... REPLACED THE clutch and also replace the solonoid so the bike starts. after that was replaced the bike started but would not go into gear.. They took apart the clutch and my friend who looked at it previously had put something back in wrong. The shopped fix it and its up and running again.. Thanks everyone who replied .. shout out to townsend for the help appreciate it