2007 FZ6 sputters at low idle

gengod

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having this problem for many months now. The shop I took it into did not fix it. They just changed the plugs, checked the throttle body sync, checked the TPS, and turned up the idle speed.
It helped for about a month, but it's doing it again.
The bike has an intermittent "miss" and I would appreciate any insight if anyone has had the same problem. Maybe you're local shop figured it out?

Thanks.

I installed a BMC air filter and a PCIII after the symptoms started, but they don't help. It hasn't stalled yet, but it shakes and shudders sometimes accelerating out of a stop until the rpm's get to about 4,000.

Mine does this also but only at warm up after a long sit. It eventually clears. I figure it's just the way the computer richens the fuel mixture to warm the engine until it' s up to proper operating temp. Dunno

If you try riding before the bike is warmed up properly, the throttle response will suck. That's built into the ECU.

If that's not your problem then I'm not sure it would be.

I'm having the same problem.
A friend of mine suggested some fuel injector cleaner, but I haven't had a chance to give that a try yet.

I think he also said something about carborators maybe being out of sync, but that was more of -a general bike statement and he doesn't know any of the internal workings specific to a fazer

My 07 idles and runs fine both hot and cold... I have the idle set at 1,000k and never had a problem. You might have a little bit of water in the fuel (condensation). You may try some techtron (chevron product) for a couple of tanks and see if it helps...

I have a similar issue, spluttering at low revs, especially when you drop the throttle. I *think* it's running rich.

The question is: how do you fix it? (mine's stock standard '05)

I synced my carbs not too long ago more for vibration reasons. I didn't have any stalling/stumbling problems. They weren't out much. A throttle sync woulnd't hurt to do(isn't that hard to do). You can do this yourself if you have a sync tool. I have a carbmate which was bought from overseas for lesss than $90. It contains NO liquids to lose or suck up... Its cheaper than having the shop do it and you know what its set at when done. Mines already paid for itself doing others bikes..

A check of the TPS wouldn't hurt either. When checking, make sure to not only check the highs/lows at the throttle but that the numbers INBETWEEN are steady and linear and don't skip any... A bad TPS will cause problems/stalling at lower RPMs.... I had the prblem on my FJR (had a re-call on my 04)

My '06 did it for the first time the other day but it was after a hard rain without the bike being covered... I it was rain water somewhere it wasn't like... cleared up after 5 mins

weak ignition coil or plug wire?

Reiobard ... i followed that through with a mate of mine, who heads up a major workshop. He said the following:

Firstly, it's very difficult to test the coil, it's not just a ohm reading as with most plug wires, because of the coil. So testing is tricky.

Secondly, in his experience, he says he's only seen one or two damaged coils (variety of models) and those were usually obviously damaged .. just with a cursory view.

Thirdly, if NOT the coils, then it's usually found to be another connection, so i checked all the breather hoses and plugs etc. THAT made a marked difference, so somewhere something wasn't right.

It's still not 100 % though. I would imagine that i need it "power commanded".

I've been having this problem for many months now. The shop I took it into did not fix it. They just changed the plugs, checked the throttle body sync, checked the TPS, and turned up the idle speed.
It helped for about a month, but it's doing it again.
The bike has an intermittent "miss" and I would appreciate any insight if anyone has had the same problem. Maybe you're local shop figured it out?

Thanks.

I installed a BMC air filter and a PCIII after the symptoms started, but they don't help. It hasn't stalled yet, but it shakes and shudders sometimes accelerating out of a stop until the rpm's get to about 4,000.

These bikes can have a ragged idle when cold. It will kind of be a stuttering/hunting sound. It is completely normal, and should go away once the bike reaches operating temp. It is not caused by running rich, but by actually running lean. The ECU sets a lean idle to meet cold start emissions, and this can cause the odd throttle response when cold and the weird idle. Mine does it between 65 F and higher ambient temps, below 65 F it does not do it as the ECU has a different program for colder temps, mainly a higher cold idle speed (18-1900 RPM) versus the 1500 RPM or so when it is warmer out.

If it goes away as the bike warm up, do not worry about it as it is just a quirk of these bikes.

Mine does the same thing - just noticed it after doing BD43's headlight mod - I've never dumped the throttle before it was warmed up prior to this so when I finished the mod and started it up and found it sputtering and running super rich when I whacked the throttle all the way, I freaked out and tore it back apart and made sure the airbox and everything was put back on correctly but it still does it. As long as I don't give it full throttle when it's cold it's fine and it disappears once it's warmed up so I assume there's a different fueling map in the lower reps until it's at operating temp.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll check the reading on the TPS test again in between the hi and low.
I had originally thought that the problem correlated with the ambient temp being cold. But now it's 88-90 degrees outside and it still does it. Even after I've been riding for an hour, once I pull out of a stop light, it still hesitates and shudders a bit until about 3-4,000 rpm. I have to rev it up higher before letting the clutch out.

I'll keep at it. I'll let you know what I find. Its just a nuisance, but dammit, I don't like it!
Gene

Thanks for all the responses. I'll check the reading on the TPS test again in between the hi and low.
I had originally thought that the problem correlated with the ambient temp being cold. But now it's 88-90 degrees outside and it still does it. Even after I've been riding for an hour, once I pull out of a stop light, it still hesitates and shudders a bit until about 3-4,000 rpm. I have to rev it up higher before letting the clutch out.

I'll keep at it. I'll let you know what I find. Its just a nuisance, but dammit, I don't like it!
Gene

If you can, check the TPS #'s when the bikes acting up (and at the temperature when your having the problem). I've heard of the TPS giving normal #'s when cold and acting up once at temp....

NOTE: Something else that come's to mind. I had a similar problem with my FJR, corrosion in one of the main electrical connectors under the tank(I believe it goes to the ECU). The below link explains exactly what happens and how to fix it. I wouldn't be surprised if the FZ has a similar connector. If moisture gets in there (rain, washing, etc) , it will corrode and cause problems. The dealer couldn't find the problem. I found this info on the FJR forum:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=22699&hl=corrosion+connector

I had the same corrosion, cleaned it up and added Dilectric grease to prevent further problems. Worked great. Something to consider

Last edited:
I would not rule out a electrical issue just yet. If anybody here has ever owned a 2nd generation VW Golf or Jetta you know what I mean. As soon as these symptoms appear with on one of those you replace the coil and connectors and it goes away.
I'm not saying it is the cable but mabye you have a bad 02 sensor or mabye its connection to the harness is corroded of something like that.

And to eveybody else that has this problem and it goes away when it warms up. It is not normal and there is something wrong. Mabye there is a common point of corrosion on our bikes.

And to eveybody else that has this problem and it goes away when it warms up. It is not normal and there is something wrong. Mabye there is a common point of corrosion on our bikes.

They all do it when cold. In fact the throttle response sucks until I see around 150 F for coolant temp. I had the dealer look at it, found nothing wrong. My brother in laws 07 does it, my 07 does it and the 08 at the dealer did it. A lot of it has to do with the way group fuel injection works, and a lean cold idle, and you get random misfires at lower RPM's. If the bike is still doing it once it is warm, then yes there is a problem.

Mine doesn't necessarily sputter, or stall at lower rpm's. But I do hear a ticking sound every now and than. It's usually when I let off the throttle. I have no idea what it is.

It sounds like "tickatick tickaticktick tick" but a real low sound. I don't know what the hell it is. Anyone got any insight?:confused:

i had the same thing in and it dissappeared when i cleaned the airfilter (K&N) awhile ago. the sputter has slowly returned now after 7000Km. it's not as bad as it was before i cleaned the filter , but it's there again :( i think it's because i had the PC and K&N filter installed and dynotuned at the same time, both new, so the mixture is tuned for new and clean airfilter and it starts to sputter when the airfilter gets dirty? i dunno?

have you guys checked or changed your airfilter resently? could it be the cause in your case too? ..just a tought..

Last edited:
Back