2006 vs. later year models

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read the various improvements to the FZ6 in 2007 and beyond, but have the oppurtunity to buy a used 2006 for a really good price.

So my question would be regarding the users viewpoints on how much these improvements are worth. Or can some be retrofitted/modded to improve the '06 for a modest cost.

I'm also considering a nicely priced '06 honda VFR 800...

Decisions decisions...

With all the FZ6's used availible now it seems like a good chance to pull the trigger on one. I like the FZ6R, but given the price differential it's hard to justify for me right now.

Thanks! Any input appreciated.

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 2006 FZ6 and love it; the one thing I really like about the newer models is the speedometer - just think it looks better than the 2006. As for dependability, I have no regerets and the bike runs great. FYI, I bought the bike new, not used.

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks rdoucet for the input, can you give me a quick run down on maintenance you have had to do since you have had the bike new?

Pretty much routine stuff?

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil and filter changes, tires, plugs and a new battery. I recommend a battery tender for the bike if it does not already have one from the dealer. You may want to change the oil and filter and possibly change the brake fluid. Get yourself a service manual for the bike; I have the Yamaha Service Manual part no. LIT-11616-FZ-61. The service manual covers years 2005-2006 and will save you a lot of money in the long run. Nice thing about the service manual is it not only tells you how to do your own maintance with schedules, it also has all the torque values you need to adjust your fastners.

I bought my bike new in June of 2008 even though it is a 2006; have not had to do any major work on it except for what I wanted to change. The bike is very reliable and their are many members from all over the world on this forum that will assist you with whatever question you may have.

Some basic tools other than hand tools you may want to consider in the future for the 2006 (possibly other years as well) are the following:

19MM allen wrench for removal of front tire, 36MM and 32MM socket or wrench for removal of rear tire; metric allen keys, metric sockets 8mm thru 15mm, good 1/2" & 3/8" torque wrench, chain alignment tool and some locktite (blue) for fastners. Their are other tools you may want to purchase in the future but these will get you by for now.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the search function, all your questions have been answered multiple times. There is even several threads regarding how much we all paid for our bikes, new and used. Just type in some key words or phrases like you would do in google and you should have enough reading materials to last you for the rest of the week.

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I have done a ton of reading and really saw no comparison of 2006 to the later models being done. I got the answer I wanted and wasn't asking about price anyway.

I have used the search functions regarding fairings, prices, etc. But thanks for the input...

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The 2004-2006 are all nearly identical. The only real difference is colors and for the 04/05's, the TPS issue.

The 2007-2009's are all identical

Before I bought my 06, I wanted a newer one because I hated the round gauge cluster, but I got a good deal on my 06 and honestly I like the gauge, for the little time I actually look at it.

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I have read the various comparison charts as far as the changes, was more looking for subjective opinions regarding the "value" of those changes from users that have either upgraded or seen them side by side (friends etc.).

Yeah like you Soviet my main motivation is the price point on a used '06 right now compared to other later models. Thanks for your input!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
'07+ are nice but it's hardly a major difference from '06 gen. Bottom line is you get better brakes ('06 are decent though), better swingarm (are you Rossi enough to flex the original), slightly revised front fairing (up to you for value) better gauge cluster (no argument, but '06 works just fine). If the price difference is significant definitely go for the '06, you'll be just as happy

However, if the price difference from the FZ6 to the VFR isn't much, that VFR is a very nice riding bike. Rode one a couple years ago and was extremely impressed by it's smoothness

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I have read the various comparison charts as far as the changes, was more looking for subjective opinions regarding the "value" of those changes from users that have either upgraded or seen them side by side (friends etc.).

Yeah like you Soviet my main motivation is the price point on a used '06 right now compared to other later models. Thanks for your input!

We've had at least one member who has upgraded from an earlier model to the later model. His comparison is the middle link. Nice write up.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/4883-2007-compared-2006-a.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/3932-fz6-model-year-comparison-05-vs-08-a.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/main...n/3286-difference-between-fz6-206-2008-a.html

Last edited:

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep read all those earlier and nothing mentioning how much people "value" the improvements nor much in regards to aftermarkert or availible upgrades to get a pre '07 bike "better".

I suppose I'll just take my time and evaluate it on my own by visiting people that have both models and judging the improvements for myself and assess the difference in price.

From my research are the improvements worth 2,000 bucks?

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I have done a ton of reading and really saw no comparison of 2006 to the later models being done. I got the answer I wanted and wasn't asking about price anyway.

I have used the search functions regarding fairings, prices, etc. But thanks for the input...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/3932-fz6-model-year-comparison-05-vs-08-a.html

No real comparison? :eek: :spank: ;) :D Yes, it's been answered. FWIW, the '05 is the same as the '06 except for frame and swingarm color.

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose it might help to read the entire thread ;0 FZ6inNH. I clarified later.

And my post before yours explains what I was interested in and what I would do. But thanks...

edit: '06 also has some remapping according to the wiki link ;) wouldn't want to be unthrorough...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose it might help to read the entire thread ;0 FZ6inNH. I clarified later.

And my post before yours explains what I was interested in and what I would do. But thanks...

edit: '06 also has some remapping according to the wiki link ;) wouldn't want to be unthrorough...

Yes, the later '06 models didn't have the TPS recalls because they had resolved the issue in the middle of a production run. However, it is still the same as the '04 and '05 model outside of colors.

Given that I've owned both models years, I would suggest that you purchase the '07+ model year bike. As far as the maintenance, the entire EFI system is better designed and tuned. The chain adjustment is greatly improved over the older style swingarm. The fairing was changed to better direct air over and around both the rider's head and hands. Helmet lock added. Better position of the pillion pegs.... etc... :D

hiway

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah easier said then done. 2k is a good chunk of change right now.
I really appreciate the comment about the EFI system also. Thank you.