2006 FZ6 vs 2009 FZ6R

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Let me start by saying sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it if it has.

I am looking at an '06 FZ6 (6600 miles) at a local dealer. The bike is priced at $3799, their drive out price is about $4200. The sales guy is pushing a 2009 FZ6R for a drive out price of about $6200.

My question, is the 2009 worth the extra 2 grand? I'm going to be using it as a commuter mainly. I'm not looking for a race bike that will tear up a curvy road, just a nice bike that's fun to ride. I really like the looks of both, but the dual headlights on the 2006 was the main thing that caught my eye.

Thanks is advance, I plan on making the purchase this weekend so I'll let you know which way I go.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Actually the FZ6 is the one that does a better job of tearing up the curvy roads. The FZ6R has a bit tamer engine with less top end and a smoother throttle response.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you should buy either.

If you could convince me that you are qualified/prepared to be riding a motorcycle, I would advise you to choose the FZ6... assuming this is not your first bike. If it is, I revert to my initial statement.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The 6R do not excel in any category but overall does a fine job. It's a nice all around bike for either beginner or for someone that just want a solid, comfy bike with a good mid range to drive around or tour.

Now if you think you are going to spend your weekend cruising with your buddy in the double RPM range all weekend, go with the FZ6.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I don't think you should buy either.

If you could convince me that you are qualified/prepared to be riding a motorcycle, I would advise you to choose the FZ6... assuming this is not your first bike. If it is, I revert to my initial statement.

Sound good to me...

I am 42 years old. I got my first bike (Honda CB350) when I was about 22. I rode that for a few years as my primary transportation until I sold it (winter is just too damn cold on a bike!). I bought a Kawasaki 550 from a friend when I was about 30 and rode it for a couple years (but just when it was nice outside, I had a car and a truck to drive as well). I sold that bike when my wife and I were dating, that was about 10 years ago. This will be my first sport bike. I have riden other bikes, but those were the ones I owned and rode a lot.

The 6R do not excel in any category but overall does a fine job. It's a nice all around bike for either beginner or for someone that just want a solid, comfy bike with a good mid range to drive around or tour.

Now if you think you are going to spend your weekend cruising with your buddy in the double RPM range all weekend, go with the FZ6.

Is the 2009 worth the extra $2000?

I have a friend that bought an 09 Ninja 650R about a month ago (got the fever from him), not planning on racing these bikes though. I have an old KDX200 I ride with my son, but that's on the dirt. My daily driver is a 1998 Grand Prix GTP that runs high 12's in the 1/4, but I don't plan on riding the bike that fast. This 2006 FZ6 just seems like a good deal and I love the look.

Last edited:

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound good to me...

I am 42 years old. I got my first bike (Honda CB350) when I was about 22. I rode that for a few years as my primary transportation until I sold it (winter is just too damn cold on a bike!). I bought a Kawasaki 550 from a friend when I was about 30 and rode it for a couple years (but just when it was nice outside, I had a car and a truck to drive as well). I sold that bike when my wife and I were dating, that was about 10 years ago. This will be my first sport bike. I have riden other bikes, but those were the ones I owned and rode a lot.

Ok, so I would pigeonhole you as somewhat of a casual rider returning to the sport. I think you'll find that neither the FZ6 or FZ6R is a "sport bike," but more of a standard. That's a good thing. They just have to look sporty to get sold nowadays.

You should be able to handle the FZ6 just fine. People exaggerate the peakiness of it's power in comparison to the FZ6R. The truth is, they're both quite reasonable for a commuter, but the FZ6 does have an additional top end that can be pretty exciting. But forget the engines, the FZ6 has better components and IMO is a much cleaner, more coherent design. It has to be, because it's not hiding behind a fairing.

If I were you, I'd pick up the FZ6 and use the savings to buy ALL THE GEAR. Then I'd take an MSF course. In my area, the Basic courses are always booked pretty far in advance, but you can usually get into an Experienced course on pretty short notice. The Experienced course is just like the Basic one, except there is no classroom portion and you ride your own bike instead of a 250. You can still get your license from the Experienced class if you need that. If nothing else, you WILL learn something, and you'll make some new friends that ride.

Finally, I would not pay $3799 for a 2006 FZ6 with 6600 miles on it. For comparison purposes, I purchased my 2008 model with 7K on it for $3800 last May. That was only a two year old bike then, not five years old. And the '07 and newer FZ6s have some upgraded components over the first generation. They wanted $4000. I paid $3800 (cash) and total cost with tax, title, and tags was under $4100. The bike was pretty much stock (Puig screen) and in very clean condition. Negotiate hard with the dealer. And keep an eye out for an '07 or newer model as well. You found the right model, but don't focus too much on one particular motorcycle. And forget about the FZ6R. Paying more for less has never made sense to me. The FZ6R's main selling points are its lower seat height and "crotch rocket" looks. In a few years when you can pick one up for a little less than an FZ6, they'll make sense. But right now, they're still too new to make financial sense.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sound good to me...

Is the 2009 worth the extra $2000?

I have a friend that bought an 09 Ninja 650R about a month ago (got the fever from him), not planning on racing these bikes though. I have an old KDX200 I ride with my son, but that's on the dirt. My daily driver is a 1998 Grand Prix GTP that runs high 12's in the 1/4, but I don't plan on riding the bike that fast. This 2006 FZ6 just seems like a good deal and I love the look.

Well if you're not going to race the bike the 6R is a good option. Im 39 yo and I don't need torace anyone, just enjoy riding. I love the mid range. Doesn't have to be in the double digit all the time.

But if you go with the 6R, here's few recommendation:

1- Straith out the dealer, change the front sprocket for +1 (17) Your speedo will be dead on accurate and -600 RPM on freeway.

2- There's few option for windscreen out there... (like mine) shop around. The stock screen accelerate the air right underneath your helmet and create a huge turbulance. No joke! 30 min on freeway and your head want to fall off!

Other then that it's all about personnal preference. I mod the stock exhaust and install a PCV, saddlebags, Renthal 787 handlebar. Like a small Sport-Touring bike. There's not a lot of aftermarket option, but it's getting better..

1.8tbora

Stealth FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
My 09 is up for grabs, 3200 miles. 4500 stock or 5500 with exaust, lower cowl, and Corbin seat. Check bikes for sale to see all the details.:thumbup:

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would go with the FZ6 as well but the price they're giving you isn't too good. I got an 07 last year with 1800mi on it for $4500. I would try and negotiate that a little.

socker77

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an fz6 last year I like the bike. I would prefer an R1 but to the insurance company I am an irresponsible 20 year old. Personally I have learned to love the bike. Plenty of mods to make it your own and as everyone else has said they can be a little quick once you get up to the high end.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I really appreciate all the feedback here guys, thanks! I didn't expect so many responses this quick.

I didn't know the difference between the beginner and advanced MSF courses, but I did plan on taking one. I'll probably do the advanced class if that's the only difference. I'm an ASE cert. auto tech with over 20 years exp, and although it's hard to keep my eyes open during some of the continuing education seminars I attend every few months, I always learn something.

Thanks again guys!!

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a link that helped me make a decision between the FZ6R and the FZ6 granted this was comparing a 2011 6R and a 2009 6 but the bikes have not changed much

2011 Yamaha FZ6R Specifications+Comparison

and here are some threads where people where trying to decide between the two bikes a lot of good info from fellow riders

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36243-fz6-fz6r-touring.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36888-differences-between-fz6r-fz6.html

My vote is for the FZ6 I think it is a better bike all around plus I am not a fan of faired bikes the more naked the better

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6, you'll get bored with the 6R.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
even though the R looks sportier, it aint, the FZ6 outperforms it in every
category, that beautiful aluminum frame that is shown off on the FZ6
is missing on the R, steel frame, hidden in plastic, lesser brakes, detuned
engine, it's basically less of a bike hidden in plastic at the same price point

someone mentioned insurance, in my area the R is a sport bike and about
twice the money to insure as the FZ6 that blows it away, go figure

ericausand

Reaction score
Visit site
[/QUOTE]someone mentioned insurance, in my area the R is a sport bike and about
twice the money to insure as the FZ6 that blows it away, go figure[/QUOTE]

That is Hilarius! Yeah,Yamaha needed to make theZ6R further away from the FZ8 performance so they wouldn't have a cheaper bike going the same speed.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Well, as luck would have it the FZ6 I was going to buy tonight was sold earlier today.

I can still get the 2009 FZ6R, but someone had pointed out that the Suzuki SV650 might be a choice worth considering. Does anyone have an opinion on this bike? I would prefer a 4 cylinder over the V2, but that may just be because I have not riden a V twin yet. I would think the 4 cylinder would be smoother, but I really don't know.

The FZ6's are real hard to find around here, haven't looked for an SC650 yet. I would prefer the FZ6. Some private parties have one, but I'd rather put it on a credit card (low interest rate and bonus points).

Thanks in advance!

rickthefix

Reaction score
Visit site
i ride with sv650's quite a bit. they are very nice bikes & very versatile as well. there's plenty of them around, lots of aftermarket parts & a big following on-line. as a matter of fact, there's one sitting in my garage that i'm going to help repair, the owner went down a couple weeks ago, my son's friend.
you'd have a hard time convincing me to buy the FZ6R over an SV650, as the SV's can be found a lot cheaper than what you're looking at.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I like the SV I ride every weekend with a guy that has a Gladius SFV650 I think thats whats it called. The engine is real smooth and has some great torque down low. I've heard that some of the older SV650 parts are cheaply made, pipes rust and chain and sprockets wear quickly. But they are popular and so you can find them cheap.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at cycle trader, there's some good deals to be had. Even if you have to drive a bit or have it shipped, some will even ship free.