2006 FZ6, Heavy steering when cornering?

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Kinda new here and a new FZ6 owner. I am comparing to my 06 Suz. GS 500. I have noticed that the FZ's steering seems heavy when turning corners. It almost seems to want to turn in, but luckly doesn't.

I was just wondering if it's me or typical of the bike. I know the GS is lighter so maybe that's it. The FZ it'self seems kinda quicker handling than the GS when I do a swerve type manuver.

The FZ has the stock Dunlops on it and they are about 3/4 gone.The tire pressure is about 35 psi. Would having a bit skinner tire than stock up front help this or is that a bad idea?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say changing tire size is a bad idea, those stock tires are crap,
is the rear squared off?...and bad steering column bearings can be
common on these bikes too....I'd prolly start with new tires first,
original tires on an '06?...time for'm to go

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum! Keep the recommended 120 tire. Tire wear can be a factor as well as tire pressure front and back. 33 psi. front and 36 psi. rear. 2 psi can make a difference. Loose head bearing can make it feel funny. Are the front and rear tires the same brand and type?
I can't imagine the steering head geometry (angle) being that much different than the GS but that could be it. :D

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tire profile on different brands of tires can make a huge difference in my experience. I went through 2 sets of Bridgestone BT016's which stuck like glue but took some effort to steer into corners. I just mounted a set of Michelin Pilot Powers about a 1000 miles ago and it's amazing how much faster they want to fall into turns. It took a while to get used to the quick like change but now that I trust them I like it alot. :thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Tire profile on different brands of tires can make a huge difference in my experience. I went through 2 sets of Bridgestone BT016's which stuck like glue but took some effort to steer into corners. I just mounted a set of Michelin Pilot Powers about a 1000 miles ago and it's amazing how much faster they want to fall into turns. It took a while to get used to the quick like change but now that I trust them I like it alot. :thumbup:

+1 The difference is amazing. I had the OEM Bridgestones on my '06, and the Michi's almost scared me the first time, as they just grab and go.

To the OP : The new tires made the difference on my '06. The bike darn near corners on it's own now. With the ancient stock tires, my FZ felt really heavy in the corners too. Those tires are hard as rock by now, time to get some fresh rubber. I know I know, not what you want spend money on so soon, but it really is that important(think safety!). Also, like previously mentioned, keep the correct tire pressure, as it makes a HUGE difference.

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
The F/Z-6 is one of the best (if not the best) cornering sport/touring bike I've ridden. The tire pressures and condition must be correct as on any bike.

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I just switched from an 05 gs500e last week and I know exactly what you mean! I think it has to do a lot with the weight of the bike, and the throttle has a whole different feel between the two bikes. For me, it's difficult to accelerate through sharper turns because I like to downshift and let off the gas before it, but the clunk of twisting the throttle again throws me off and messes with my ability to corner. I might just be an inexperienced rider :spank: but honestly I think you and I just need a lot of time to get used to the bike.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
This issues you facing are normal in a transition from a light bike to a heavier one.

I noticed this too! I had the feeling that in low speed turns the front just wanted to steer into the corner all by itself, giving me scary moments at first... but I got used to it.

Changing tires and psi will help but the feeling that the bike has a mind of its own will never go away... I got used to it :D

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I just switched from an 05 gs500e last week and I know exactly what you mean! I think it has to do a lot with the weight of the bike, and the throttle has a whole different feel between the two bikes. For me, it's difficult to accelerate through sharper turns because I like to downshift and let off the gas before it, but the clunk of twisting the throttle again throws me off and messes with my ability to corner. I might just be an inexperienced rider :spank: but honestly I think you and I just need a lot of time to get used to the bike.

I remember how the gs would allow cornering like this. its carbs are very forgiving, along with its geometry. the fuel injection of the fz and quicker throttle response is only making your improper cornering technique -feel- wrong now. try a lower gear, decelerating before the turn, then holding constant throttle through the turn, and accelerating again paat the apex... you'll see what I mean.

getting jerky in a turn I supposed to scare you, its messing with physics !

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like it's technique, keep the revs fairly high (5-7k at a guess, i always go by feel), and smoothly and progressivly apply the throttle, you should probably be in second or 3rd for most corners depending on how tight they are. If i'm going very slowly (eg an awkward uphill very tight hairpin) then i might drop into first.

when i changed the fork oil on mine i found that that seemed to improve the feel a lot too, but that doesn't sound like your main problem

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the head bearings... get those checked or check them yourself.. if they are bad, it'd make the ride of the bike very crappy.. good luck with the bike and :welcome: welcome to the forum.. post up pics when you get a chance :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like its just change - how relaxed are you? If you're all up tight, you will be fighting the bike. As you gain confidence on the bike and relax, it will fall through the corners with a little suggestion vs being man-handled.

I laugh at myself as I tense up going over one of the many freeway bridges here with the metal expansion joints spanning its curved sections. I guess its knowing the bike will slip over the joints at 60mph in corner that just doesn't bode well yet. Anyway, I find myself fighting it to make it turn while rounding the corners on the bridge and for me that means i'm tense.