2004 FZ6 Advice

cjb600

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking at buying a used FZ6. I found a nice 2004 model with 19,000 miles. Just wondering if the 2004 had any weird problems since it was the first year. Is the FI okay, any recalls, etc?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a great bike even for the first year. They do have 2 recalls that i know of, 1 for the tps (throttle position sensor) and 1 for the sprocket nut, but with 19000 surely the recalls have been taken care of by now. I don know if you are aware of this or not but even though 04 was the first yer for.the fz6 the motor is the same thing as a 03 r6, slightly detuned to make more bottom end power so.yes the bike itself was new in 04 the powerplant is tried and true. But other then those two recalls they are a very solid bike

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking at buying a used FZ6. I found a nice 2004 model with 19,000 miles. Just wondering if the 2004 had any weird problems since it was the first year. Is the FI okay, any recalls, etc?

There was a recall on the TPS for that year, so I would ask the owner if he had to have that replaced. Ive heard the FI was a little more twitchy on the pre '07 bikes, maybe someone else can chime in on that. Does the owner have any service records?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a recall on the TPS for that year, so I would ask the owner if he had to have that replaced. Ive heard the FI was a little more twitchy on the pre '07 bikes, maybe someone else can chime in on that. Does the owner have any service records?

I have an '06. I believe its the same FI as the 04. It can be pretty jerky. Just takes some getting used to. I got used to it pretty quick.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
check by the vin number if there are two small indents that means they had the recalls taken care of...tps and sprocket nut

i have an 05' only one indent bc of the tps

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '06. I believe its the same FI as the 04. It can be pretty jerky. Just takes some getting used to. I got used to it pretty quick.

I have an '04, and I don't find the throttle particularly jerky... and I've only been riding on the street for ~9 months. I've taken almost all the slack out of my throttle, though.

Mine had the recalls done already when I bought it as well, with 9k on it. No problems so far, and I've put 4k on it since May. Tons of fun, and cheap to own. I've changed the oil twice, and just replaced steering and wheel bearings, though they probably didn't *need* to be replaced.

Spiritualised

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '04, and I don't find the throttle particularly jerky... and I've only been riding on the street for ~9 months. I've taken almost all the slack out of my throttle, though.

Mine had the recalls done already when I bought it as well, with 9k on it. No problems so far, and I've put 4k on it since May. Tons of fun, and cheap to own. I've changed the oil twice, and just replaced steering and wheel bearings, though they probably didn't *need* to be replaced.

I have an 04, got it with 18000 on it, chose it as for me it seemed easily the best of the mid size bikes I tried. Check re the sprocket nut is well worth it, I didn't ... of course it came loose and stranded me.Quick to sort though.

Great bike, you will get some real fun out of it as well as being practical enough for everyday.