$20 Fender Eliminator!

Dadeadlyraccoon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, this is my first thread. Day 2 of owing the bike I got very angry at the ugly thing hanging off the back of my bike so I started researching a fender eliminator kit only to find that I lacked the moolah to invest. I decided to start taking apart my ugly stock thing to see how it was composed and if I could modify it without a lot of money. Here is what I did:

Step 1:
I had some sheet galvanized steel laying around the house so I measured what I wanted for size incorporating the extra I would need to bend back to hold the plate, mount to the bike through the stock area bolt holes and use the same bolts, and the bending needed to remount new blinkers. On the mods section of my profile you can see the pics of this in order.

Step 2:
I took my idea and mounted the plate and signals to it as if it was on the bike to make sure it was a) legal and b) working correctly and not like lop sided or out of measurement. Then, knowing that things lined up I measured for the mounting part and bent the long piece on the top of the metal (look at the pic) to fit in the same place as the stock part did. The completed pic 2 shows it installed without the blinkers and such.

Step 3:
I then cut and wired in the new signals and tied them up neatly in the back so its not visible from anywhere but looking close and unerneath the bike. Then wa-la! Tis finished and beautiful and only $20 for the cost of the blinkers :BLAA:

Toast

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Those signals...are they the ones with the bulbs instead of LEDs? Do you have them converted into running lights? If so, are you worried about the bulbs burning the turn signal housing? I have the same turn signals and I'm hesitant to make them running lights like my stock signals were because I'm afraid they will get too hot and melt the housing.

Thanks in advanced.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you. Looks pretty good.

I happen to like Larry's ebay kit better but that did cost $50 and you have to resuse the stock blinkers

Dadeadlyraccoon

Reaction score
Visit site
Those signals...are they the ones with the bulbs instead of LEDs? Do you have them converted into running lights? If so, are you worried about the bulbs burning the turn signal housing? I have the same turn signals and I'm hesitant to make them running lights like my stock signals were because I'm afraid they will get too hot and melt the housing.

Thanks in advanced.

I'm not using mine as running lights just because I don't care for the look. They will, for now, just serve as signals and hazards, but I might look into that.