2-up

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
Make them wear pants, long sleeves and sneakers with socks at minimum.

Instruct them to not put their feet down, don't wiggle, lean with you, etc.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a shirt that says, "If you can read this, then......." :justkidding: Anyways, what Rocky said sounds good.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Be very gentle with your braking where possible, as your new pillion wont be used to the braking forces...and will have a tendency to bash helmets with you, if you catch them out by braking hard.

My 2 cents.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Teach them how to mount and dismount the bike. Be sure to communicate what you are doing before you do it, stopping, turning, etc. Point out "hot" parts on the bike to avoid burns. As mentioned make them wear PPE and explain WHY is it important and how it improves their comfort. Explain to them how to be a good passanger, ie: trust the pilot. Lean when you lean, don't wiggle around too much, pay attention to what is going on around them, ie: don't day dream.

But most of all have fun! Riding 2-up is a blast.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride 2 up nearly all the time with Jannie.

Make sure you are ready and stable before they get on, give them a nod when they can get on. I always make sure the bike is out of gear and the front brake is applied.

When Jannie is also settled and ready to go she taps my side so I know it is ok to move off.

Again make sure you are stable when they get off.

Make sure you can get both feet flat on the floor when you stop otherwise you are holding the bikes weight, your weight and their weight on your tip-toes. It is so easy to drop your bike like that...I know...ask me how !!!!!!!

A top box is great for a passenger to lean against. Also if they are too cramped in the legs, you can get passenger peg extentions fitted. Hepco and Becker supply them. I have them fitted and Jannie loves them.

Have a signal for when you are beginning to frighten them. Jannie taps my helmet. Don`t forget that they have no control at all, that in itself can be scarey.

If you don`t make the passenger feel safe, secure and part of the ride they will get to hate it.

We have done nearly 30,000km together over the last 2 years and we love riding together. I hope you as just as lucky.

Steve

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
A top box is great for a passenger to lean against. Also if they are too cramped in the legs, you can get passenger peg extentions fitted. Hepco and Becker supply them. I have them fitted and Jannie loves them.

Those sound interesting...any pics of them on the bike? My girl hasn't complained, but I'm sure it would help distribute her weight more on the seat instead of on the tailbone!

necrotimus said:
Don't tell your wife how hot your last passenger was

hehe, yup, don't do that...and don't say the last girl was only a better passenger because she weighed less! (not guilty of that part)

Seriously though,

I just got back from doing 350miles with my girl and just make sure she relaxes. She shouldn't need to squeeze you if you're just cruising down the highway at 70mph. She can scoot back, get comfy and hold you lightly or even use the grab rails (i prefer holding). If she's relaxed and scooted back (comfortable enough to be scooted back) then you won't bang helmets no matter how badly you shift. This ride will be great with helping you achieve smooth shifting! oh, and if you're not going too fast...TALK to her...tell her she's doing great, point out pretty scenery, ask her if she's comfortable. We stopped every 50 miles but she's 21 and can take the abuse lol.

Last edited:

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
For the most part, most everyone else here has given great info. One of the most important things for me when riding 2-up is to ensure that my wife is comfortable and not nervous/stressed. She really doesn't like to ride on the bike, but if she does, she's usually stiff and holds on to me with a death grip. I've tried to get her comfortable by riding around in parking lots or slower back streets, but it didn't help. I generally ride alone now, but that's ok, too.

X

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have her stay directly in-line with your torso. I taught my daughter to simply stay with me and when she sees a corner coming, she is to simply look over my left shoulder for a left and right for a right hander. When she's holding on to me, I know she is ready to move. When we are cruising, she sometimes grabs the rails instead.

My wife was a BAD passenger. She hates the lean, even in the slightest, when she's pillion. Thus the reason she obtained a license and her own bike. She can lean her own but not lean as a passenger.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest an intercom system if you plan on riding 2up more often.

Also under hard breaking, have her reach around you to put her weight on the fuel tank. That way your not having to hold both of you up under the hard breaking.

Not sure how many miles you have put on the FZ yet, or how many you have on a bike in general. But I found that once I figured out the tranny, ie shift points, the smoother I could shift, the better it was for the passenger.

That and I do not like the passenger to lean. I have always told my g/f to just stay with the bike, hold her back straight with the seat. Do not lean with me or against me. It is easier to control the bike with extra weight than to have some one else moving it as well. Jordan would relax out of the corner which would make the bike shift on the exits. I had to make sure she was aware to hold her posture and keep still through the entire corner.

-bryan

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Always signal (tap to the knee) when you are about to accelerate unexpectedly. My wife still talks about the time "she almost fell off." I didn't warn her and I really should have. She didn't "almost fall off" of course, but that's the way she tells it....

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
...Also under hard breaking, have her reach around you to put her weight on the fuel tank. That way your not having to hold both of you up under the hard breaking.

I used to do that when I was a passenger back home in London on my younger brother's bike, when he'd decelerate hard from 100.

Always signal (tap to the knee) when you are about to accelerate unexpectedly. My wife still talks about the time "she almost fell off." I didn't warn her and I really should have. She didn't "almost fall off" of course, but that's the way she tells it....

I actually nearly had this happen to me as a passenger on my uncle's old Yamaha RD350(?). He accelerated hard from a dead stop and nearly threw off!

Thanks for all of the tips. We're riding about 1000 miles down to Texasss on Monday. Will also let you guys know how the panniers etc, (that I just bought) work out.:Sport:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like everyone has covered it. Also tell them that if you have to brake real hard like in a emergency for them not to lean on you. Tell them they need to actually lean back.

adumb

Reaction score
Visit site
might just be my preference but i prefer my wife to hug me when we are going slow, or coming up to a light for a stop and things like that. she really likes the handles in the back but when i am stopped at a light with her pretty much sitting up holding onto those handles it makes the bike alot harder to balance, pretty much makes the bike kinda top heavy.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Be very gentle with your braking where possible, as your new pillion wont be used to the braking forces...and will have a tendency to bash helmets with you, if you catch them out by braking hard.

My 2 cents.

I hate this I have a friend that referres to this as turtle fu**ing, any one ever heard of that?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Always happens to me with new passengers. They have a tendency to lean forward and hold real tight.
Also probably a good idea to stiffen up that rear shock; I usually go 2-3 clicks more.

multiplicity

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't emphasise enough the advantages of getting an intercom system!!! I have just bought a Cardo Teamset and it's made riding the bike with my wife SO much more enjoyable for both of us. Not only is it nice to be able to talk about the scenery etc, it's also invaluable to be able to say things like "I'm going to gun it past this guy now, hold on!" and "tight right hander coming up, remember to lean". Basically it's 100% more fun and sociable, but it's also 100% safer!!

The system I got cost about £125 - it was worth every penny!!