1st stunt attempted... FAIL. Is this fixable?

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put my bike down once, rear wheel was on a pile of wet leafs. not a single scratch on my bike, all thanks to the frame silders. THey also protect your front fairing. So they DO work, but not with hard crashes such as this.

although, what if you crashed without frame sliders, perhaps the entire frame would be wasted because it would get hit higher up...
if it was up to me tho, I'd replace the frame either way..

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
A weld repair to the frame done by a competent welder would more than likely be a sound & cheaper option BUT if after all the hard work of stripping the bike down then rebuilding only to find the weld fails for whatever reason would be a real pig so a replacement frame seems like the better option to me.

I was thinking of getting frame sliders but having read your post I am leaning towards an engine guard Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 - Engine Guard | Buy Online at Bici.co.uk, because aluminium is so brittle it may be better to spread any impact load over the three points of the engine guards fixings than just the one of a frame slider.

+50

The only reason I would ever consider sliders rather than a cage would be due to installation of the lower cowl, which blocks the points needed to mount the 3 point cage.

It's now 3 times I've seen that 'arm' of the frame get broken off on bikes that have sliders installed. The slider is okay in the 'better than nothing' sort of way; the cage is by far superior protection.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, most importantly. What make of frame sliders did you have? This question also goes to the rest of you guys who have had your frames destroyed recently.

A good frame slider is designed to protect your frame only. As such the bolt is desgined to bend and break before the frame does. These crash cages or race rails are designed in a completely different way and are a lot more rigid. NOT a good idea for medium too high speed crashes. The rails are likely to catch and cause your bike to flip, causing even more damage (do a search on the internet).

My personal opinion; Don't cheap out. Stick with high quality frame sliders.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with a bunch of folks here saying replace the frame -- don't repair it.

If the sliders broke the frame, it was one heck of a crash. I thought that if the frame was bent, the bike is totalled (for insurance purposes). So what does your insurance company think about cost to fix?

I am tempted to wheelie too but I fight it all the time. There are so many other cool things to learn how to do on a bike and wheelie is only one. So I will try it again one day -- when I'm in full gear, with a bike that's setup for wheelie-ing, in a private area (maybe wheelie school) on a bike that I don't care if it gets scratched/trashed.

Glad you got out with minor injuries. Take care of the road rash.

Dennis

dcdruck

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading all of these posts I'm thinking replacing it might just be the better idea. As far as the insurance company goes, I'm not sure what they'd say because I haven't notified them yet. It happened at 4:00 AM on my way home from Americade and my phone battery had died several hours prior; I got up and went home.

I wanted to assess the damage before I decided if I wanted to report it to the insurance. Now I'm thinking I'll probably go ahead and report it tomorrow so I can either get it fixed or get a new bike as soon as possible. How investigatory are the insurance companies with motorcycle claims?

@Chris: I can't think of the frame sliders manufacturer right now, but I think I would recognize it if I read it. If you want to name a few of the most common ones I may be able to identify it.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
A good frame slider is designed to protect your frame only.

Call me cynical, but I highly doubt that any aftermarket manufacturers do much more than this:

1. Determine the size of bolt needed to replace the stock one
2. Find some piece of hard material that will protrude slightly farther than the frame and package it with said bolt.
3. ...
4. Profit

I've seen enough that I WILL NOT EVER put frame sliders on my Fazer.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm always thinking about the bloody great R&G sliders on my bike digging in and ripping a chunk out of the frame.After seeing that,I think some smaller ones are on the shopping list.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WHOA!!! Ironic because I have the same damage after a crash I had. I'm starting to wonder if the frame sliders made the problem worse than if they were not there. I don't think it would have happened to my bike if I didn't have frame sliders on.

@maverick1970: I think I agree with you that the frame sliders were the reason the frame broke there. However, I do also think the sliders saved other parts of the bike from enduring any more or any damage at all. Of course the only way to be sure would be to crash it again without the sliders, but that's one experiment I'm not planning to do.

Note to self: protect your frame...don't use frame sliders!

Frame sliders are just a cosmetic addition, imo. Do you really think a delrin frame slider will protect your machine if you lay it down? Unless you are dropping your bike from a stop frame sliders aren't likely to do much. Having a 3-4" protrusion on the engine anchoring point is an invitation for it to dig in and wrench the mounting tab off, which is what happened in these cases. If the slider was attached directly to the frame without the engine mounting point being involved it may be acceptable, but exposing your engine mount like this is more trouble than it is worth.

:confused:

I disagree...

IMO frame sliders are a valuable addition to ANY machine. From a simple drop in the driveway, to a more destructive 80km/h slide down off the highway, to motorcycle racing at much higher speeds, there are plenty of crash testimonials and information available online as to how these work, why, and what they protect.

Here is a link from Motovation (I have a set of these installed) and how to choose from the various different slider designs/mounting points, with the potential benefits of each.

Frame Slider Design and Selection

@ dcdruck - definitely have your frame replaced. For all of the reasons previously stated, and for the peace of mind knowing that your frame wont blow out from under you the next time you 'crack' the throttle!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the third frame I've seen broke, 2 were that frame arm, one was by the swingarm bolt, just on this forum.

The insurance comany won't fix the posters bike, I'm sure its totaled.

Prior to me buying my FZ used, it had been laid down twice, (each side of course). Insurance fixed one side, I got a great deal ($2K) and fixed the other (2 separate crashes) side. One crash was an attempted wheelie(by the original 17 year old owner), the second about 35-40MPH slide after hitting a loose dog (same rider). Yes, the plastic/tank/frame edge was scratched but the frame wasn't broke nor the bike totaled... I was able to sand out the scratches and it looks fine.

Depending on the crash (speed/height, etc) it seems sliders can cause more damage potentially.

IMHO, I'll pass on the sliders...

Last edited:

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Call me cynical, but I highly doubt that any aftermarket manufacturers do much more than this:

1. Determine the size of bolt needed to replace the stock one
2. Find some piece of hard material that will protrude slightly farther than the frame and package it with said bolt.
3. ...
4. Profit

I've seen enough that I WILL NOT EVER put frame sliders on my Fazer.

I agree that what you're saying applies for many manufacturers, but as with everything else I believe there are those who provide higher quality products with more R'n'D behind them. From what I've learned from reading about a lot of different people's experiences, Woodcraft and R&G are a couple of the manufacturers that seem to make frame sliders that actually work well in a crash. Of course if you're very unlucky your frame could get damaged regardless of what type of sliders you have.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I think this thread has converted me. I'm taking off the frame sliders and going for some rails...Thanks all!:D

Oh, and sorry so many of you are having these broken frame issues... :(+

Last edited:

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that what you're saying applies for many manufacturers, but as with everything else I believe there are those who provide higher quality products with more R'n'D behind them. From what I've learned from reading about a lot of different people's experiences, Woodcraft and R&G are a couple of the manufacturers that seem to make frame sliders that actually work well in a crash. Of course if you're very unlucky your frame could get damaged regardless of what type of sliders you have.

I just don't see any of these guys having the kind of budget needed or volunteers to do real world testing of these things. I don't doubt that there are companies putting more thought into it than my exaggeration, but consider the expense of having bikes of each make/modal to just tip over repeatedly and take notes.

I'm sure the sliders work fine in a drop, but any harder impact and they just look like frame-breaking levers to me with our frames. Probably a compromise some are willing to make.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Mate, this is your first post. Have a good read/search through this forum.

You will find that frame sliders have saved serious damage on bikes many times.

It's not a guarantee, but neither is a seatbelt in a car. Just that in a crash, the seatbelt might save you from serious damage.

Yep ..... first post because I just got my FZ6 last week, but I've been riding since 1976 so I do have a bit of 'real world' motorcycle experience. I just traded my FJR-1300 for the FZ6 to get a more maneurverable package in the twisties. I've seen tons of testimonials about how frame sliders saved the bike from more damage, except you can't prove what would have happened if you didn't have them. Think about the mechanics of the situation, you are putting a protruding 3-4" stud to take impact in a crash. The slider is attached by a high strength steel bolt to an aluminum tab that is an integral part of the frame/engine mount and the force will be at right angles to the bolt. Physics tells you what will happen, the softer, brittle aluminum will twist before the bolt shears, often resuting in a broken frame that will destroy the bikes value and seriously damaging the functionality of the machine. Can a slider help in a simple tip over or slow speed crash .... yes. But you can also ruin a frame like these examples. To me, its paramount to protect the rider first and the frame/engine second. It's your choice.

Now I've got TWO posts under my belt.

Last edited:

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to agree with most peoples' beliefs here...

Some of the cheaper end sliders its easy to see how that can happen...

Frame sliders are good for people that have problems remembering for whatever reason to put the kick stand down or if you often park in lots where there is risk of your bike tipping over. If i truely wanted to prevent serious damage to the engine/frame, I would probably go the rails way.

Frame sliders for FZ6s seemed to be best for low speed damage prevention, potientially high speeds depending on brand. Nothing wrong with trying to prevent damage, but there are risks you accept with use.

Moral of story... don't matter which one you choose for peace of mind if you never laid down in the first place... The self inflected crashes are the easiest to prevent, but it does seem you have given yourself enough grief.

Glad to hear your lapse in judgement didn't end worse

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for dissuading me from ever attempting this. The only reason I would want to do a wheelie under a controlled circumstance is so that I would know what to do if it happened by mistake. However, I think I'll take my chances. Below is a picture of the Motovation frame slider I had on my bike when I low sided at the track last year. I ended up with broken plastics and that's all. It made me a believer in frame sliders however I will agree that the rails would be the best way to go. Good luck on getting the bike fixed.

View attachment 28860

dcdruck

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'm convinced to never use the sliders again. The only reason I even had them was the previous seller included them brand new with the bike and I didn't know any better. I do now. I called the insurance company today. They said they'd call me back tomorrow. I did insure my Katana tonight though so I can get that back on the road and start riding without missing a beat.

Thanks for all the input! I'll let you know how this all turns out. If they total the bike I'll be looking for another FZ6. Or maybe an FZ1. If you have one for sale let me know.

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
I bought my 05 Fz6 in October of '09, and a month later I hit a patch of sand in a hard left turn and didn't have the riding experience to deal with it. I paniced, the bike slid out and the rear wheel clipped the curb, hopping up and throwing me off of it. The bike did a complete flip, bounced a couple times, and landed upside-down with the engine running.

I completely snapped my leg in half, tib/fib both snapped and my leg was bent at a right angle. I couldn't walk for 4 months and I still have a hard time climbing up stairs now and then and my leg gives out on me. I have a titanium rod from my knee to my ankle with 6 pins.

The bike had frame sliders on it from the previous owner. The only damage to the bike was to a foot peg, my brake lever, and the right side of my headlight casing was cracked. I am absolutely convinced that without the sliders there would have been much more damage.

This really seems like a "grass is always greener" situation. Sometimes, the sliders will save your ass. Sometimes they'll increase potential damage. If I take mine off, I'll probably wish I had them on if I ever drop the bike again. If I leave then on, I'll probably wish I had taken them off. What's it called, Murphy's law? It boils down to personal preference - there will be times where it will save your bike and times where it does the exact opposite. I really don't think anybody can give a clear-cut response saying that for a fact they will save or damage your bike, it's completely situational.

Included bonus awesome xray pics of my leg! This is after they straightened it, I have other pics that are waaaaay worse.