1st 300 Mile Road Trip Observations...

D

Dave.TX

Background: I purchased my bike a little over two weeks ago. Stock everything except a Hyperpro rear lowering spring and Leo Vance exhaust without DB killers. Also came with Givi hard bags.

Today went on a 300 mile bike ride with mostly Harley riders. There was a Honda CBR600RR, a Honda Shadow and a Victory Vision Tour in the group also.

We met in Liberty Hill, TX, and rode back roads through Marble Falls and to Llano where we ate lunch at Cooper's BBQ. I think it's the best BBQ I've ever eaten, been there about 4-5 times. Back roads on the way home through Cherokee, Bend and Lampasas. That's where some split off and two of us continued on 183 back to Liberty Hill where we split directions and went home. That ride was awesome! Saw some great scenery, ate some great food and met some new people that loved the ride no matter what anyone was riding. I met them through Meetup.com.

I realized the Yamaha FZ6 creates a lot of buffeting on my helmet which caused a headache and my ears are still ringing hours later even though I wore ear plugs the entire time. The remedy is I'm going to purchase a Madstad windscreen.

The stock handlebar is not comfortable as the pullback is too much. That gripe is common throughout online forums for the FZ6. The remedy will be different handlebars.

The bike's suspension is not good. The front forks are too soft and the rear spring is too short for this 6'4", 200lb rider. The remedy is a suspension upgrade. I contacted Hyperpro earlier this week to purchase their combi pack (front and rear springs with fork oil for just under $300 USD) and they notified me it's out of stock for another 4-5 weeks, according to their manufacturer.

The stock seat is good for shorter trips but (no pun intended) my bum was sore on this longer trip. Maybe I just need to ride more and will get used to it. After all, when I first rode two weeks ago my bum was sore for the first few rides then wasn't. They were shorter rides in town. I'll be looking in to an aftermarket seat.

I like the Givi bags even though a young kid riding with the group criticized them for making my "crotch rocket" (his words) look stupid. Children. He's a good kid, was otherwise pleasant to have in the group. One of the other riders (Harley) commented that being an LEO (law enforcement officer) he doesn't like to leave anything on his bike unattended. He stated that after watching me lock up my riding jacket, gloves and helmet before going in to the restaurant. I agree with him.

I like sport touring bikes. I love the FJR. My bike is going to be transformed into a small sport tourer. That was what I liked about the utilitarian FZ6. In seconds I'll be able to attach or remove the Givi bags and someone has already commented the SW Motech mounting bars don't detract from the sportiness of the bike when the Givi's aren't attached. I'll be able to change the windscreen in a few minutes from stock to Madstad or back again when I want. The handlebars will be permanent but I've already decided to try Renthal's Road Medium bars. No need for risers with them either. I also have a stock exhaust being shipped and should arrive by the end of this week. I'm not a fan of loud, buzzy exhaust. I'm going to keep the LV's though, just try out the stock exhaust for a while. [I was looking for a stock bike but this was such a deal I couldn't pass it up]

What's so cool about the FZ6 is it'll be whatever you want it to be. Stock, sport tourer, sportbike, whatever. Like stated years ago, it's the Swiss Army Knife of bikes. It'll accept whatever mods you throw at it. And, it got 49.5mpg on the trip today. Can't complain about that! A couple of the guys asked what the bike was and after a short explanation they approved. One of them asked why I chose this bike and when I was going to get a Harley. Seems to be a natural progression for some people. I'm still glad I have it and know with a few changes it'll be what I want it to be.

:iconbeer:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Dave you sound just like me. Stock pipe, taller windscreen, Corbin seat, Handlebar risers, Sonic springs. This setup made long rides on the FZ so much more enjoyable. Every saturday my friends and I take a 3 to 5 hour ride and love it because of this setup. For me zooming down beautiful scenic roads with a stealth exhaust and a comfortable seat just can't be beat. I've owned loud bikes with clip-on bars but never enjoyed them as much as this bike.

Oh yea, your headache, you rode with a bunch of Harley's, loud and over fueling enough to give a aspirin a headache. ;)

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you experience any delays due to the CBR rider checking into a hospital for back pains? lol. 300 miles is a looooong time in that position.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Great observations. The seat has always been recognized as a weak point of the bike so you are not alone. But all of the positive points you mentioned are precisely why I can't bring myself to replace my FZ after 7+ years. Nothing else can do all the things that the FZ does without some big compromise.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
The stock seat is not good for longer than an hour in my opinion, and I put up with it for years before getting a Corbin. The Corbin is better, for sure, but still not amazing. Maybe the Top Saddlerie seat is the best? I liked the looks of the corbin a lot more and they took my form of credit card when TS didn't, so that settled it for me.

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
The stock seat is not good for longer than an hour in my opinion, and I put up with it for years before getting a Corbin. The Corbin is better, for sure, but still not amazing. Maybe the Top Saddlerie seat is the best? I liked the looks of the corbin a lot more and they took my form of credit card when TS didn't, so that settled it for me.

I rode for an hour on Saturday, my longest ride yet on this new-to-me bike, and I had a sore butt too.

I'm thinking Corbin seat. It looks like it would be around $475 or so with shipping, but from what I've seen, used ones go for $300 plus shipping, so in the unlikely event I change bikes soon, I could get most of the money out of it.

With the Top Saddlery piece, the shipping to/from Europe is cost prohibitive. Also, it makes sense what Corbin says that doing it right requires a custom seat pan, not re-using the stock pan.

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

Did you experience any delays due to the CBR rider checking into a hospital for back pains? lol. 300 miles is a looooong time in that position.

Nah. He said he's had the bike for years but was thinking of getting more of a standard like mine. He was maybe 5'6" and 120lbs. Guess he's used to it but did admit it's not the most comfortable.

D

Dave.TX

I rode for an hour on Saturday, my longest ride yet on this new-to-me bike, and I had a sore butt too.

I'm thinking Corbin seat. It looks lie it would be around $475 or so with shipping, but from what I've seen, used ones go for $300 plus shipping, so in the unlikely event I change bikes soon, I could get most of the money out of it.

With the Top Saddlery piece, the shipping to/from Europe is cost prohibitive. Also, it makes sense what Corbin says that doing it right requires a custom seat pan, not re-using the stock pan.

I agree with both of you. Will look into getting a Corbin. It'll have to wait, though, as funds become available.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
As you all know the stock seat is a big problem on the semi faired version you got there in the states.

I own a naked european one and the stock seat is completely different and I can ride for 2 or 3 hours straight with no problem at all.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
why did you lower the bike if you are 6'4"?

I find the suspension is very good on the bike and I think the stock handlebars are just fine, yes the stock seat sucks.

you must have had your earplugs in wrong, there should be no way your ears would ring if you had them in your ears properly:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA]Fitting Foam Earplugs - YouTube[/ame]

when someone asks when you are going to upgrade/get a harley simply tell them why would I "upgrade" to a harley lmao? double the weight, half the horsepower, no where near as reliable and they handle like crap. :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What type of helmet do you have? Base on the type and model, the level of noise will vary.

As far as your sportbike friend, he doesn't know motorcycles very well. The FZ6 is not a crotch rocket, it's a sport tourer. However, depending on the rider, the FZ6 can beat a crotch rocket in certain situations.

I agree with your LEO friend, you should never leave anything in or on your bike unless you are willing to lose it. Here in Nevada, we have a helmet law, so I will always take my helmet with me. Helmet lock? It's a joke! Remember, lose your helmet, the bike becomes disabled. It becomes unrideable.

You might want to consider a throttle lock, such as a ThrottleMeister, so that you can ride with your left hand, rather than relying on your throttle hand the entire time.

Yes, it's the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles, it can do just about anything. And you got to love the fuel range with it's large tank. I almost have 72,000 miles on the clock, and the only maintenance issue I have had with my bike has been the steering head bearings, which just about every FZ6 had had. Should have been a recall in my opinon.

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had my FZ for 3 weeks but I agree with what's already been said. I got it with the intention of making it a sport tourer to fit me. I've put on bar riser setbacks, Shad trunk with mount, Priority plus light module,& Motogiro's headlight relay kit. I wanted as little wind noise as possible also. I started off by ordering a 24" Cee Bailey windscreen hoping that would do it. I put it on & it was much better but still not good enough.(I'm 6'1",by the way) So next I ordered an MRA X-creen add-on spoiler, got it put on last Saturday and finally SUCCESS! I've got the spoiler adjusted about an inch higher than the Cee screen but at a slightly tilted-toward-the-front incline. As I look straight ahead, I'm looking about an inch above the X-creen. This setup works great, I can ride without earplugs, and only have a very slight rustling noise. I can lean forward just a bit & be totally behind the windshield which should be good for the rain events. And yeah, I've got 280 bucks in all of it,:eek: but it's the result I wanted. I also added a 2wheelride brand friction cruise control and it works well also. I'm getting this bike close to where I want it....til next week!:D

D

Dave.TX

I think he meant that he bought the bike used and it came with the aftermarket, lowered spring.....

Exactamundo, Potsey! I bought the bike with the spring already installed. It's an easy fix, though.

My helmet is a Scorpion EXO 1000. It's pretty nice, fits well and I like the flip down sunshade inside for extra tint when the sun gets low. If I sit up straight and get the clean air it's a smooth sound. Sitting kind of slouchy and that turbulent air off the stock screen causes it to beat on the helmet. I don't want to sit like I have a plank down my back. I found out the helmet is too big to fit in the Givi case.

Just installed Motogiro's headlight doohickey and it works great! Two low beams and when I switch the high beam on the left low beam stays on and the right low goes off as the high goes on. That's the way the European bikes work and now I have two lows with a functioning high. Thanks Cliff for the kit! Took 45 minutes to install. Some of that time digging around for a small enough screwdriver...

Got the GPS installed but no power source yet. I have an accessory plug from the local marine store (has a waterproof cap) so I can plug in the GPS or cell phone when it's installed. After this is done I'll be set for a while until more stuff arrives in the post later this week. I ordered handlebars and grips. For me the stock bars are not very comfortable, they're at an awkward angle.

You never know if you don't try: I put an ad up for Wanting To Buy (WTB) for a comfort seat or Corbin. Just an hour or two later a local guy PM's me saying he has a Yamaha Comfort seat for sale. I'll pick it up Tuesday morning! Being a new Corbin seat runs about $450 I'll be spending about $350 less than a Corbin seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The bigger you are the worse that stock seat will be for you. I'm only 140 lbs so the stock seat has enough padding to support my light weight arse! I did 1,800 miles in 6 days 3 weeks ago and my knees and ankles were the most painful...my back and arse were good!

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
So next I ordered an MRA X-creen add-on spoiler, got it put on last Saturday and finally SUCCESS! I've got the spoiler adjusted about an inch higher than the Cee screen but at a slightly tilted-toward-the-front incline.

To make sure I understand: you put the MRA X-creen on top of the Cee Bailey?

I've been thinking about Laminar Lip: Laminar Products for Yamaha FZ-6

Did you consider that one?

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice roads out there and Coopers is some good eating. Ever venture out to park road 4? supposed to be good riding. You should definitely look into raising the suspension back up especially if your 6' 4"

Don't know how mechanically inclined you are but if your not wanting to do the suspension work yourself when hyperco gets it in stock I know Rodger with OnRoad OffRoad Suspension down there in Austin does good work.

D

Dave.TX

Nice roads out there and Coopers is some good eating. Ever venture out to park road 4? supposed to be good riding. You should definitely look into raising the suspension back up especially if your 6' 4"

Don't know how mechanically inclined you are but if your not wanting to do the suspension work yourself when hyperco gets it in stock I know Rodger with OnRoad OffRoad Suspension down there in Austin does good work.

The ride last Sunday included Park Road 4 and it was nice! It just wasn't long enough. We had fun riding it but the fun ones go by quickly. Will do it again. Cooper's always great.

Mechanically inclined, fairly well. I should be able to do the springs myself except the rear. I'll take the shock off and have a shop change out the rear spring.

I picked up a slightly used Yamaha comfort seat and it rides nice. I sit higher now which lifts my head over the turbulent air so it isn't knocking my head around anymore. Also gives me a little more legroom and I have to stretch farther to touch the ground (which is fine as it felt like I was sitting on the ground anyway) but my 36" inseam doesn't mind.

HPTuner

Reaction score
Visit site
To make sure I understand: you put the MRA X-creen on top of the Cee Bailey?

I've been thinking about Laminar Lip: Laminar Products for Yamaha FZ-6

Did you consider that one?

Yes, I looked at the laminar lip. But most of my research showed mixed results on them. I knew the X-creen was extremely adjustable so I figured I could find a setting that would suit me. I don't really like looking through a windshield, I prefer to look just over it, and the X-creen allows me to do that. Along with no noise and no buffeting. And yes, I added it to the Cee Bailey. I hated to spend that much money for a setup, but I wouldn't be happy with anything less. It's almost as quiet as my old Valkyrie.