17T Sprocket results

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
70 mph - 5800RPM
75 mph - 6200RPM
80 mph - 6600RPM

Feels very smooth on the highway so for those who have a long commute may really want to consider the changeover. Took 1/2 hour or so.

In conclusion, it looks like the RPM's lowered about 300-400 and the speedometer seems more accurate.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting mod. I sure you will see an increase in mileage.

Can you track it and report back to us?

I am a freak about the mileage that I get on all of my vehicles. Also I study the tread on my shoes every time I take them off but thats a little off the topic.

My FZ currently gets about 51 mpg highway/city combined and that is with some occational spirited driving. A couple of weeks ago Smokenu and I met up and drove Ortegy Hwy. It was 40 mile there and back plus the time on the twisties for a total of 210 miles. I got my average of 51.

Keep us updated.

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure what is the difference you are trying to imply but my totally stock gearing on my FZ6 S2 need 5k rpm on 6 gear to travel 100km/h(62.mph).

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats also taking in the consideration that your speedo is probably off by 4 or 5 MPH so if you were truly going 65 mph (which would read 69-70) the RPM's would be higher without a doubt.
So you guys are saying that upping 1 tooth makes no difference? Well, if thats the case going down one tooth in the front makes no difference either.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my average of 51.

Keep us updated.

Wow. On my unmodified FZ I get @ 42 MPG and my modded FZ gets @ 38.5. That is setting the trip every tank full then doing the math when I fill back up. I've never corrected the speedo so I don't know that the ODO is that accurate either. I do know I fill to the same point each time so I get a fairly accurate quantity of gas used.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the 17T is a great idea. When I had my FZ6 I found I was always looking for 7th gear at highway speeds.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats also taking in the consideration that your speedo is probably off by 4 or 5 MPH so if you were truly going 65 mph (which would read 69-70) the RPM's would be higher without a doubt.
So you guys are saying that upping 1 tooth makes no difference? Well, if thats the case going down one tooth in the front makes no difference either.

Not saying it makes no difference and not trying to offend... just trying to get an idea what 1 extra tooth would be like. I am more likely to either keep it stock or go up 1, not down.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't you achieve better mileage with lower gearing, not higher? Less throttle input required to get up to speed?

I had an XR400 and when I rode on the road, the gearing was ridiculously low. My fuel economy was awesome. Then I went up 2 on the front, and economy went down significantly. The lack of drive meant I had to open the throttle wider (= more fuel) to get to speed each time I stopped.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been running a 17t on the front for most of the past 18,000 miles.

The speedo is now dead on (within 1mph at all speeds), but the odometer now rolls slow (underestimates mileage ridden by about 5% - when stock it's dead-on).

I like it a lot when riding at 70mph+ and the loss of power is very minor.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
70 mph - 5800RPM
75 mph - 6200RPM
80 mph - 6600RPM

Feels very smooth on the highway so for those who have a long commute may really want to consider the changeover. Took 1/2 hour or so.

In conclusion, it looks like the RPM's lowered about 300-400 and the speedometer seems more accurate.

Thanks for the post. I never (IME) feel a need for more low end power but I also always seem to be looking for 7th gear on long rides. Which brand sprocket dig you go with?

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was it wolfman or boneman making a new fz6 touring bike ? Id add this to your list of touring mods.

Instead of the normal -1 +2 set up, make it +1,-1 :) you wouldnt see a CRAZY drop in power, and youd get really good gas miliage and low rpm revs :D

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be curious to see if there is a significant mileage difference with this mod since its actually possible to drop rpms and see a mileage loss because the motor is now running so far below its torque peak that you use more throttle to maintain speed. This mod doesn't seem to be an extreme rpm drop, though.

jZ

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
Very good mod if you use the highway's on a daily basis. 18T might even be better.

You can still be fast in the lower gears but it will be smooth and economic in the 6th gear.