120/70 or 120/60 tires ???? advice please

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
I need for you pros to give me 2 advices!!!

I just put 7000 kms on the front 120/70 17 michelin pilot power..(1ct) not the 2ct

I do some agresive riding....

Some tell me to go with the 120/60 17 so that the bike will corner better!!

And the other question is.....
Should I go with michelin pilot power 2ct or michelin pilot road 2 ?

Thanks

S

Shamus McFeeley

I've used the Pilot Power 2ct and the Road 2 2ct. The Pilot Powers wore faster than the Road 2 (for me). I have heard that the Pilot Power 2ct compound(s) are softer than that of the Road 2ct, but I have nothing to verify this with. I might be wrong, but the only difference between those tire sizes is about 13mm? You might be able to turn in quicker with a 60 series vs. the 70 series, but a majority of how your bike corners is going to deal with your suspension setup vs. the capability of your tires.

Either tire is outstanding, I've used both though all kinds of weather and road conditions. The only difference that I've noticed is that the Road 2ct seems to last longer and inspires a little more confidence in the wet weather. I think that on the hierarchy of Michelin tires, the Pilot Powers are meant for more sporty riding, while the Road 2ct is meant more for sport touring.

Just my opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on getting the Road 2 this time around. Last tire change I went for the Power 2CTs but after all the commuting I do, along with a trip to Denver and Roswell, even with the dual compound they are squaring off. So Road 2 it is for me next time, and I plan on going with 120/60 simply because I am running an R6 fender up front along with the fork, and a 120/70 is a tight squeeze. I have one there now but on less than perfect roads you can hear gravel and stuff scraping between the tire and fender and it makes me nervous.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Iand I plan on going with 120/60 simply because I am running an R6 fender up front along with the fork, and a 120/70 is a tight squeeze. I have one there now but on less than perfect roads you can hear gravel and stuff scraping between the tire and fender and it makes me nervous.

funny u say that im in the same boat.. yet one of the guys i rdie with has an 04r6 with the same forks and fender and tyre and has no clearance issues...

and with you im goign to get the 120/60 so it turns in that little bit faster

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Get your standard tire size !!!

If you want a faster turn in, lower your font by putting the forks higher in the clamps. Max 10mm.

If you still think it doensn't turn in fast enough, work on your counter steering. The FZ6 is a very nimble bike and fast turn in isn't really a weak point of the bike.

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
Get your standard tire size !!!

If you want a faster turn in, lower your font by putting the forks higher in the clamps. Max 10mm.

If you still think it doensn't turn in fast enough, work on your counter steering. The FZ6 is a very nimble bike and fast turn in isn't really a weak point of the bike.

I was thinking on going to 120/60 17 because my front tire never touched ground on the sides... and the rear tire does all the time even to the last milimiter....

How do I lower the front?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Road 2CT's and have been happy with them. Last year when I was looking for a front tire to match my Road 2CT I talked to the Michelin tire guy at the racetrack. He said a lot of folks go with Road on the back and a Pilot on the front. They would both wear out at the same time. I went with the Road 2CT on the front cause it has better wet traction.

I got a free hat too!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
funny u say that im in the same boat.. yet one of the guys i rdie with has an 04r6 with the same forks and fender and tyre and has no clearance issues...

I have thought about this too, because before I did the swap I read up on R6 guys fitting 120/70 tires with no issues. I think why I get a very close fit on mine is because the FZ6 triple holds the forks slightly wider apart, which stretches the fender a little wider than they would be on an R6. In order to stretch wider they would lose a little height, bringing the bottom side of the fender closer to the tire. At least that is my theory about it.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had 120/60 BT016's on my front for ~10kmiles, I can tell that there is a small difference in turn in speeds, but nothing amazing. The FZ already turns in pretty well to begin with. I have to use them because the 120/70 will rub the R6 fender with the r6 fork mod.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking on going to 120/60 17 because my front tire never touched ground on the sides... and the rear tire does all the time even to the last milimiter....

How do I lower the front?

Having "chicken strips" on the front is not a bad thing. It just means the tires can handle more lean angle ( your bike might not, a stock FZ6 wil drag the pegs ). Mine are gone in the front ( PP 2CT ) but this is only advisable on track, getting that kind of lean angle on the street is not really safe imho.

But trust me, get the stock tire size :thumbup:.

To lower the front.
Get the front wheel out, fender off.
And losen the upper en lower triple clamp.
Then put the fork tube a bit higher in the triples.
My advise, don't go higher than 10mm. Start out @ 5mm.

Here is an example pic ( note that the front has been lowered a lot in this pic )

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xlg/LeftForkCap.jpg

Last edited:

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I'd keep the correct tyre. (Plus I would also never mix brands or even models within a brand range) :thumbup:

When somebody asked about having a wider tyre on the rear I answered with the below . . . .

Question Re: New Tire on FZ6, 190???
Have you consider if there would be any implication for your insurance ?

I have had to mention every modification that took my bike away from standard (even though my mods don't increase my insurance premium).

So is there a risk that if you totalled your bike and hadn't told your insurers that you've put a wider tyre on and they spot this when assessing the bike for any repairs , they may say you have invalidated your insurance cover as the tyres are not the size as specified for the bike.

Just a thought . . . . .

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
Having "chicken strips" on the front is not a bad thing. It just means the tires can handle more lean angle ( your bike might not, a stock FZ6 wil drag the pegs ). Mine are gone in the front ( PP 2CT ) but this is only advisable on track, getting that kind of lean angle on the street is not really safe imho.

But trust me, get the stock tire size :thumbup:.

To lower the front.
Get the front wheel out, fender off.
And losen the upper en lower triple clamp.
Then put the fork tube a bit higher in the triples.
My advise, don't go higher than 10mm. Start out @ 5mm.

Here is an example pic ( note that the front has been lowered a lot in this pic )

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xlg/LeftForkCap.jpg

I know the tire pressure psi affects in the leaning angle...
I just noticed that after curving in a road.... I increased to 31 front tire and it handles much better...
Some say front pressure should be even higher, and that pressure is to be taken when hot!
????????????????????????????????????????????