1040 miles, is it okay to go on a long trip?

sohail

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning on going on a 1000+ mile trip from northern california to san diego. I've changed the oil at 600 miles. Should I change it again just in case? I know that my riding abilities are really better now, just some things still concern me.

These are:

Bike not being broken in completely enough
Crappy, noise, Zox helmet.
No armored leather jacket, just a regular leather jacket.
No motorcycle boots.
Bike is completely stock, so no comfort options.
I wear glasses, so I can't wear sunglasses. This really sucks.
Really crappy helmet.
No dedicated fixed luggage system, just a backpack, tankbag, and a bungeed briefcase. Lots of bungee cords, I can make them work.

It's 500+ miles each ways. I'll stay in san diego for at least two weeks.
So the last question is, if I leave the motorcycle sitting doing nothing for 2+ weeks, should I do anything to properly store it? Gas can't go bad that quick can it?

I guess by taking this trip, i'll really know what I need and don't need...

Either the fz6, the car :( , or the train...never been on a train before either.

sorry for the long rant, thanks for reading!

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a better helmet that fits right and get a tinted visor for it.

Get frame sliders on the bike.

Get a proper jacket and boots. Foot injuries are some of the worst and take months to heal.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
.... further, the bike will be fine... it's you I am worried about.... As Esra says, get proper gear.... You will be way more comfortable wearing proper gear... Ear plugs really help with wind noise and you can get clip on sunglasses for your glasses...

No need for another oil change, maybe bring a tire repair kit and some chain lube with you...

Richard

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike not being broken in completely enough
Crappy, noise, Zox helmet.
No armored leather jacket, just a regular leather jacket.
No motorcycle boots.
Bike is completely stock, so no comfort options.
I wear glasses, so I can't wear sunglasses. This really sucks.
Really crappy helmet.
No dedicated fixed luggage system, just a backpack, tankbag, and a bungeed briefcase. Lots of bungee cords, I can make them work.

1) what better way to break the bike in
2) get some ear plugs
3) get a proper jacket, some armour, or at least a back protector
4) get proper boots, also remember it may rain (actually i don't know what your local climate is like), do you have something waterproof?
5) get a tinted visor, some shops throw in a free bag for it that you can tie around your waist (always carry a plain visor too)
6) it's your head, personally i spent the money on a quality helmet (arai)
7) a backpack may result in your arms going dead, so i'd probably try and fix it to your bike. A cargo net may also be better than bungee cords, and is pretty cheap

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
to add what is being suggested, if you are on budget then hit nearest cycle gear shop. they have mesh jacket/pant and boots. all with armored protection that are better than regular gears.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd change the oil, being a low mileage bike you can't go wrong changing the oil before a long trip, only a 10-15 minute job and you can have peace of mind that you've got fresh oil running through your engine... Also if you bring a backpack make sure it has WIDE straps preferably with gel in them, if you just strap on say a college backpack your arms tend to go numb as previously stated... I'd go with soft bags or some sort of tail/tank bag if i had the $$...

Have Fun on your trip!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Wearing a backpack will make you want to kill yourself for not investing in a tail bag after 100 miles! If you have to carry stuff, wrap it in a blanket and bungee it tightly to the rear seat! Thank me later!

Ear plugs are crucial, especially on a long trip. If you don't wear them and ride 10,000 miles a year you will be lucky to have 50% of your hearing left in 10 years!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Wearing a backpack will make you want to kill yourself for not investing in a tail bag after 100 miles! If you have to carry stuff, wrap it in a blanket and bungee it tightly to the rear seat! Thank me later!

Ear plugs are crucial, especially on a long trip. If you don't wear them and ride 10,000 miles a year you will be lucky to have 50% of your hearing left in 10 years!

+1 Riding with a backpack is uncomfortable for a short ride, much less a long tour... it is generally uncomfortable... restricts some movement if packed... and it's just a pain... i'd go to a dealer and grab a tailbag myself... can't see myself riding 1k with a backpack on... just my .02

sohail

Reaction score
Visit site
.... further, the bike will be fine... it's you I am worried about.... As Esra says, get proper gear.... You will be way more comfortable wearing proper gear... Ear plugs really help with wind noise and you can get clip on sunglasses for your glasses...

No need for another oil change, maybe bring a tire repair kit and some chain lube with you...

Richard

Yep, I always wear ear protection, it's difficult to ride without earplugs. I'm going to stop by the optometrist and see if they have these clip on sunglasses.

1) what better way to break the bike in
2) get some ear plugs
3) get a proper jacket, some armour, or at least a back protector
4) get proper boots, also remember it may rain (actually i don't know what your local climate is like), do you have something waterproof?
5) get a tinted visor, some shops throw in a free bag for it that you can tie around your waist (always carry a plain visor too)
6) it's your head, personally i spent the money on a quality helmet (arai)
7) a backpack may result in your arms going dead, so i'd probably try and fix it to your bike. A cargo net may also be better than bungee cords, and is pretty cheap

got ear plugs! Lots of em. Looks like I'll need to get better gear though. I'm not concerned about the rain. Looks like it's good weather from here on out. And a tinted visor would be amazing, along with a better helmet. And yes, I do have a cargo net. That's what I meant!

I'd change the oil, being a low mileage bike you can't go wrong changing the oil before a long trip, only a 10-15 minute job and you can have peace of mind that you've got fresh oil running through your engine... Also if you bring a backpack make sure it has WIDE straps preferably with gel in them, if you just strap on say a college backpack your arms tend to go numb as previously stated... I'd go with soft bags or some sort of tail/tank bag if i had the $$...

Have Fun on your trip!

Yeah, I think I well go ahead and go through with the oil change. It's really easy, just need to get the supplies.

I have one of those motorcycling backpacks, an ogio no drag. Even with that, I am probably going to strap it on the back seat somehow.

+1 Riding with a backpack is uncomfortable for a short ride, much less a long tour... it is generally uncomfortable... restricts some movement if packed... and it's just a pain... i'd go to a dealer and grab a tailbag myself... can't see myself riding 1k with a backpack on... just my .02

The backpack does restrict movement, especially head turning...

So, for now. I guess, before I undertake a long journey, I'll need to get better gear! I'm still going to use a cargo net to tie down my backpack, because I don't think I'll need much for this trip.

And, I'll go ahead and change the oil if I do go.

Thanks for dissuading me!

Just don't buy a zox helmet, i'm sure the shady dealer was just getting rid of them by selling to poorly informed beginning msf students.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
ATTGAT - Period - Get a good armored jacket & boots

I wear glasses sometime too - Your eye doctor will have the clip ons, but i recommend bringing an extra visor that's tinted.

A good helmet is a must. I have the HJC RPS-10 Patriot. Quick changable visors and low noise when the vents are closed. I don't wear ear plugs. If you want to impair your hearing with the plugs, might as well bring your ipod with some noise isolating headphones. Good gloves with palm padding - vibration will numb you after the first hour.

I'd recommend installing a 12v plug and bringing a cellphone charger.

Backpack's with a good amount in them are a bad idea for long rides. Use a few bungies and a cargo net and tie it down to the back seat.

Take it easy, don't try to push yourself too hard. The bike will be fine, change the oil before you leave. Keep an eye out for metal shavings. Check your bolts and tires, tire pressure.

I ride no less than 2 hours every single day (well I did until I wrecked my bike...)...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget to check your tire pressure.

Good call. Simple but often overlooked!

Also I would bring a small can of WD40 and a small can of chain lube in case you have to ride through rain...your chain will be lube free and prone to rusting.

Also, something I have found to be VERY important on long rides in the summer on the East Coast or elsewhere where insects are present...bring a ziplock bag with a damp rag. Works great for taking bugs off your visor when you stop for a break. Without something to clean the visor with you are going to get sick of pulling over at gas stations to use their paper towels!

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site

+1, this man speaks truth !

back packs SUCK for long trips. get the weight off the rider( s ) and as low as possible on the bike.

i have a 23" Caterpillar waterproof bag I camp out of on the DRZ, and it's great for the purpose. Cheap on ebay for $24 shipped.

the only bike modification i would make is a CrampBuster throttle rocker. your hands and back will thank me for this.

every other dime you have should be spent on:

proper boots, motorcycle specific, that fit proper
proper gloves (hand injuries are incredibly painful and long healing!)
proper jacket and pants
ear plugs that you LOVE to wear. do not wear plugs that suck, try another set !

clip on eye glass sunglasses, and/or tinted shield.

sunscreen
wind up flashlight

500 miles sucks on the slab, and is possibly fun on back roads. plan your route, take your time, see something that you've always wondered / wanted to.

a nice bright red sticker that says "55" on your speedo will help remind you not to speed. tix suck !

now, post up a ride report after you try all the suggestions, and ride safe !

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
a nice bright red sticker that says "55" on your speedo will help remind you not to speed. tix suck !

is that the interstate speed limit in the US?!

i tend to cruise at 90-100, maybe 80 if i'm going slow on motorways :spank:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, something I have found to be VERY important on long rides in the summer on the East Coast or elsewhere where insects are present...bring a ziplock bag with a damp rag. Works great for taking bugs off your visor when you stop for a break. Without something to clean the visor with you are going to get sick of pulling over at gas stations to use their paper towels!

This is great advice especially if you hit the 5 or 101 on your ride you will come across lots of bugs around the farm lands. You and your bike will be covered in them and this is great advice for keeping your visor clean. Have fun and take pics of your adventure, we love pics here

sohail

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Rather than hastily putting together some gear on the fly, I've decided to just take the train. This way, I'll be able to shop around for a helmet that I really like along with a jacket and boots. I mean, I can tediously undertake the journey with what I have, it will not be wise though.

So, shopping list is...

some kind of an Arai or Shoei or Bell helmet
tinted visor
Armored leather jacket
Sidi boots
throttle lock

I think I have pretty much everything else besides the luggage aspect down.

Once again thanks everyone!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
When I was 17 I drove a Suzuki GT 550 from Massachusetts to Florida along with a friend on a Honda CB 350. We brought two changes of clothes a tent and a few toos. We had no destination other then florida. When we reached florida we turned around and went back.

In two weeks my friends and I have a week vacation. We're planning a small trip around New England over 4 days. Planning to do about 400 + miles a day.

I think a 500 mile one way trip on a bike as nice as a FZ6 sounds like a decent adventure. If I were you I'd get a good helmet and go for it.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
cheap and easy luggage would be to get a dry bag or a waterproof duffel bag and use rok straps to cinch it down on your tail section.

rok straps are better than bungees. bungees will poke your eye out!:eek:
good example i found online:
img1514t.jpg

the fz6 makes a good sport tourer......
go on small trips to prepare for a big one. nothing beats experience.

Last edited:

sohail

Reaction score
Visit site
^Exactly! That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm sure it'll work out for this journey.

When I was 17 I drove a Suzuki GT 550 from Massachusetts to Florida along with a friend on a Honda CB 350. We brought two changes of clothes a tent and a few toos. We had no destination other then florida. When we reached florida we turned around and went back.

In two weeks my friends and I have a week vacation. We're planning a small trip around New England over 4 days. Planning to do about 400 + miles a day.

I think a 500 mile one way trip on a bike as nice as a FZ6 sounds like a decent adventure. If I were you I'd get a good helmet and go for it.

Wow that's great! Yeah, I think the helmet that I have right now is completely inconvenient. The bike has given me no problems so far, so I don't doubt it's capabilities.