San Luis Obispo to Seattle

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks, So a little early planning but I am starting to map out a trip for spring/summer 2016 from Albuquerque to Cali and up to Seattle. I have done a bunch of smaller trip and my longest was NM to San Diego. I will try and camp most of the time with hotels for showers and such. I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has done the coastal highway trip, maybe you can share some cool campsites or places to visit or see, and good food, esp fish tacos are always welcome!!!

I am thinking a little over 2 weeks, and don't mind putting on the miles some days but would like to try and keep it relaxed. What are the better times in the spring/summer to go? I have no issues riding in the rain or cold but nice weather makes for a better trip on 2 wheels.

Thanks for any tips! :Flash:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I strongly suggest going up the famous PCH highway and up California Highway 1. You will go through Malibu and up towards Monterey. Then through Santa Cruz and over the Golden Gate Bridge and work your way up the Northern California coastline.

Oregon Coast is a must. The Washington coast is not so great, but I have gone around the Olympic Peninsula.

Here's a link that includes many of the areas that you would be passing through, but not all. Kind of a lengthy thread since it begins in Vegas and goes all the way into Canada.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ome-vegas-krid-lone.html?highlight=vegas+lone

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the recommendation for taking Highway 1 up the coast. I did that back in 1977 in my '64 TR4, driving back from a trip down to San Diego. It was a great trip.

As for the weather that time of year up in the great Pacific NW, it'll more than likely be wet, but no need to bundle up. Depending on exactly when you come up, worse case scenario will be 50s and damp. But for the last few years we've actually had real summers (probably just jinxed myself).

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
I strongly suggest going up the famous PCH highway and up California Highway 1. You will go through Malibu and up towards Monterey. Then through Santa Cruz and over the Golden Gate Bridge and work your way up the Northern California coastline.

Oregon Coast is a must. The Washington coast is not so great, but I have gone around the Olympic Peninsula.

Here's a link that includes many of the areas that you would be passing through, but not all. Kind of a lengthy thread since it begins in Vegas and goes all the way into Canada.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ome-vegas-krid-lone.html?highlight=vegas+lone

Hey Kenny,

I am def planning to do the PCH and maybe some offshoots if I can find anything cool to see. Thanks for the link, I read the ride report and it has me itching to do it more and more. It was pretty cool how everyone had their own little reports going on within the one and it was awesome you guys could all get together for it.

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the recommendation for taking Highway 1 up the coast. I did that back in 1977 in my '64 TR4, driving back from a trip down to San Diego. It was a great trip.

As for the weather that time of year up in the great Pacific NW, it'll more than likely be wet, but no need to bundle up. Depending on exactly when you come up, worse case scenario will be 50s and damp. But for the last few years we've actually had real summers (probably just jinxed myself).

Thanks, 2nd! That had to be fun touring the PCH in the TR4. Im hoping I get a little lucky with the weather but Ill be prepared for whatever mother nature throws at me as long as it doesn't snow! Can you recommend and good rides up near you? II know I want to go visit the Snoqualmie Falls again but open to other places. Thanks again!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to just go to places I've always gone to (like the Okanogan Forest in North Central Washington, especially nice if you go across the North Cascades Highway, once they clear the pass), but here are some general links that might get you started. Feel free to ask me about any specific routes. If I don't know them, I'll find someone who does. Good luck...

Washington Motorcycle Roads & Rides - Best Washington motorcycle routes for planning great Washington motorcycle trips | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

65 Motorcycle Roads in Washington USA

Jim(tm)

Reaction score
Visit site
The glass beach in Ft Bragg is pretty cool
Glass Beach - Fort Bragg California

The Bigfoot museum sounds fun but I haven't caught it open yet
Bigfoot Discovery Project

The sea spouts in Depoe Bay, OR are really cool, the Rogue brewery in Newport, and the Tillamook cheese factory is a must - lots of free samples
Cheese Factory - Tillamook

The best part of the Washington coast is on the Olympic Penn - you can take 101 up the coast, along the straights of Juan de Fuca (if you want twisties take a side trip to Cape Flattery, Hurricane Ridge or Deer Park) and then south along the Hood Canal

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
The glass beach in Ft Bragg is pretty cool
Glass Beach - Fort Bragg California

The Bigfoot museum sounds fun but I haven't caught it open yet
Bigfoot Discovery Project

The sea spouts in Depoe Bay, OR are really cool, the Rogue brewery in Newport, and the Tillamook cheese factory is a must - lots of free samples
Cheese Factory - Tillamook

The best part of the Washington coast is on the Olympic Penn - you can take 101 up the coast, along the straights of Juan de Fuca (if you want twisties take a side trip to Cape Flattery, Hurricane Ridge or Deer Park) and then south along the Hood Canal

Hey Jim, Thanks for the links esp the Tillamook cheese factory, I definitely like their stuff. And Depoe Bay looks like a cool little town, that's the kind of stuff I like to see.

Thank you!!! :thumbup: