100,000!

D

Dave.TX

That's awesome! Congratulations to your wife!! And I agree, a testament to Yamaha FZ6 build quality.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations that's quite an accomplishment. Iron butt or what. :D So what about you. Do you have the same mileage in that same time period?
Thanks,

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not at all suprised that the bike made it to 100K miles. I am impressed with her saddle time.

NICE!!!!! :cheer:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! I hope to get there one day with my bike. Were there any major services you got done or mechanical parts that needed replacement? Also, how often were the valves checked/adjusted? Thanks!:rockon:

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! I hope to get there someday. It's my first bike and I've only put on 5,000 or so since February so I have some work to do. Trying to move to the Phoenix area though so hopefully that will help.

Do you have pictures of the bike and how it's holding up?

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the response, four pages!! Wasn't expecting anything like that :rockon:

This is her second Fazer. Her annual mileage has actually dropped, on her first FZ6 Fazer (her first bike ever) she did 36,000 miles in a year and a week before she crashed it and wrote it off on a big UK Fazer ride-out (oops!).

So far it's got through 4 TPS units, three were replaced under warranty, one she bought herself as Yam were too slow to admit there was a problem. It's had a few cutting out problems recently, but I think that's more to do with the various accessories we originally fitted but recently removed from the wiring disturbing a loose connection.

We think we've fixed the problem though. Our local Yam dealer bodged it first time round but it came back. A contact in the shut-off relay connector was replaced by them, but they used the wrong crimp and put it in upside down to get it into the block. So when the block was pushed onto the relay, this crimp got pushed back out of the block causing intermittent cutting out, no fun on the motorway!

Two screws fell out of the front mudguard (fender) which then got ground away by the tyre, which is why the tape is on it. Two fairing lugs have snapped off up by the mirrors and the brakes need regular cleaning out as the pistons keep seizing otherwise.

The engine casings have taken a beating, their paint's effectively been blasted off by road dirt, lots of the screws and bolts have gone rusty but she's replaced them with stainless ones, the plastics have got a bit beaten up and the wheels have lost some paint but that's about it I think.

Oh, and the fuel gauge is dead, but that's because the Missus put some old fuel she'd found at the back of the garage in the tank which had got water in it. D'oh!

The engine's fine, easily good enough for another 100,000 miles (yes miles, not kilometers). AFAIK the valves have never gone out of spec.

We call it Old Donkey, as it's her donkey bike for commuting and shopping (her Tuono is the thoroughbred). When it was having it's cutting-out issue she decided to buy an emergency bike as we can't afford for her to be off work, so a couple of months ago she picked up New Donkey, a 3,500 mile three year old FZ6 S2 Fazer with fairing lowers and a bigger touring screen. So we now have Old Donkey and New Donkey in the garage.

When we went out at the weekend it was to do back-to-back comparisons of both Donkeys. Interesting to see how they were different, and they weren't really, only subtly so. Oddly enough Old Donkey has the better handling, with more damping in the suspension. Also a better screen for me. New Donkey was more comfortable though, with a nicer seat and better fueling, a slightly lighter clutch and throttle, better brakes as well, but there really wasn't much in it. The biggest difference was noise, New Donkey is still running a stock exhaust and air filter and was so quiet we both stalled it in traffic as with a bit of background noise we couldn't hear where the revs were! And for me the touring screen generated loads of noise, with turbulent air hitting me right in the face, so on the move I could barely hear the engine at all. Whereas New Donkey has un-baffled Remus Revolutions and the airbox mod done and sounds like a Moto2 bike. So loud pipes really are safer :D

OldDonkey2.jpg

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
:confused:

Why are you surprised?

Yeah... no...

I said I'm not surprised that the bike can do 100K. However, I am a little impressed with somebody putting an average of 16,000+ miles per year on their bike. I commute on my bike every day (year round) and get in as many weekend trips as I can throughout the year and can't even hit a 10K/yr average.

I was nothing but a compliment... "Go rider!"

:thumbup:

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on the mileage... mine is approaching a quarter of that now and needing to check the valves and adjust the idle for sure...