10% Ethanol in fuel

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We have the option both 100% gas and 10% ethonal in OK. In can't tell a difference in any of my vehicles between the two. That said I only use 100% in the Aprilia due to the plastic fuel tank. There have been several cases of tank delamination due 15% ethonal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

What!? When did you move to OK?

Was the delam due to chemical reaction or internal expansion inside the tank. Both?

Oklahoma!!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbrnXl2gO_k]Oklahoma! - YouTube[/ame]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you go to a marina, you can get NON-ethonol fuel (they don't sell ethonol) either in your boat or in an auxilary tank.

They won't let you fill a MV fuel tank (at least here in Florida).

As for small engine fuel lines (usually yellow-see thru), its best if once your done using the machine, dump the left over fuel back in the plastic tank (that you used at the gas station). Running it dry also helps.

I got tired of spending a small fortune in the small weedeater/chainsaw, etc fuel line, I ended up buying three rolls (different sizes) thats good for up to 30% ethonol. A small fortune but much cheaper in the end. In tank fuel lines of small engines that don't run, is the first place I look. At least 80% of the time, the fuel line has deteriorated due to ethonol...

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I have a 17 year old snow thrower that has never had a problem with E10. My chain saw and lawn mower (new) also have had no issues. I do buy the fuel for these in small quantities so it doesn't sit to long.

I have been using Marine Staybil in the snow thrower when storing for the summer. I'm not sure about using sea foam because it's like 15% IP Alcohol. But then I'm not sure if IPA has the same properties as Ethanol.

I have also heard that all american and japanese fuel injected cars built after 1986 should have no problems with E10. And E10 does not always contain 10% alcohol depending on the season and availability it can contain anywhere between 1 and 10%

I personally don't care what I use. I'm to old to get upset about things I can't change.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually buy premium now for most my stuff just to avoid the ethanol. Most premium gas doesnt have ethanol. I hate ethanol. Carbs, injectors, and fuel lines can be affected negatively especially if left to sit for a length of time. I have seen two snowmobiles blow cylinders no doubt to the ethanol. Both these sleds had been maintained meticulously over the years. They were always stored right. The winter they started running 10% both engines blew. The carbs clearly showed partially clogged jets wich leaned the motors out. The local SKI DOO dealer said its becoming common. They do have special Stabil meant for ethanol wich is supposed to help. Regardless I avoid ethanol unless I have no other option.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually buy premium now for most my stuff just to avoid the ethanol. Most premium gas doesnt have ethanol. I hate ethanol. Carbs, injectors, and fuel lines can be affected negatively especially if left to sit for a length of time. I have seen two snowmobiles blow cylinders no doubt to the ethanol. Both these sleds had been maintained meticulously over the years. They were always stored right. The winter they started running 10% both engines blew. The carbs clearly showed partially clogged jets wich leaned the motors out. The local SKI DOO dealer said its becoming common. They do have special Stabil meant for ethanol wich is supposed to help. Regardless I avoid ethanol unless I have no other option.

Down here there's maybe 2 gas stations where you can get Non ethonol (Sunoco and ?) however their way on the other side of town. The rest of the stations, ALL their grades have ethonol...

Yamaha marine also makes an additive/stabilizer cleaner that also stops the effects of ethonol and keeps things clean. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalub...dditives-products/10006/details#productscroll

As a side note, a friend got a Kawaski 500 twin (2 carbs) that sat for years under a tarp, in a carport, in humid Florida. Tank rusted inside, carbs clogged, dead battery. I offered to pull the carbs and clean them while he screwed with the tank. He didn't want to do that, so for S&G's. we drained the carbs and put straight Seafoam down the fuel line and filled the carbs.

Much later, we drained the Seafoam, put in fresh fuel and damn, it started!! Ran on one cylinder for a bit (smoked like hell too) and eventually fired on #2. Never pulled the carbs, rode it for about a year before moving on. Point being, I do use Seafoam but I didn't expect it to work that well.

Used on a regular basis or when storing a machine, using a strong dose should eliminate any varnish /clogging build up over time.
My generator, chain saw (which both sit for long periods of time) get a dose of Seafoam down the spark plug hole before storage (turned over-not started) to distribute the fluid. I'll also make sure the machine is at TDC to make sure moisture/air doesn't get into the combustion chamber and potentially cause corrosion.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I notice a lot of the shops that sell snowmobiles are pushing Amsoil Quickshot. It is supposed to keep the alcohol from separating from the gasoline and keep fuel systems clean.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Ethanol sucks. Probably a move to appease Midwest corn, etc., growers/voters by whore politicians in a so-called "green" move. I avoid that stuff (when possible). Of course, if it were really good, there would be 100% ethanol fuel. I know Shell Oil has it and I even ran into a Chevron that had it. Oh well. Don't mess with by products in my whiskey.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What!? When did you move to OK?

Was the delam due to chemical reaction or internal expansion inside the tank. Both?

Oklahoma!!
Oklahoma! - YouTube

We've been here a little over a year now. I got a job offer I couldn't refuse.

All I can say is, "Toto we're not in Austin anymore...."

We still own our house in Austin. We'll be here a few more years, unless we're blown away.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The delam is due to chemical reaction. Ducati has had similar issues.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
10% ethanol is unavoidable in the US. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Using food (corn) to make fuel while half of the world population is starving and we have more than enough oil in the ground if the environmentalists didn't have such panty wads. If the government didn't subsidize the ethanol production our fuel costs would jump 25% overnight!
:Flip:

Didn't wanna go political -
How many millions does it cost to grow, harvest, refine, and dispense that crap and only to have it hurt mpg thus burning more fuel making MORE pollutants? lol
Its totally ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Flip:

Ethanol actually burns cleaner. But it takes more energy to produce ethanol from corn than you get out of the end product. Only reason it's cheaper is because of the government. I agree with fizzer on that standpoint.

All political banter aside, use pure gasoline in small and seasonal engines (lawn mower, trimmer, boats, jet skis, etc.) For daily driving and larger fuel injected engines, it won't do any harm.

There is a 6 to 1 loss when producing ethanol. That means it takes 6x the energy to produce it than it yields. And that energy typically comes from fossil fuels. Ethanol is one of the biggest scams running. I lived in the Midwest for a few years. E85 is/was common in my area. It cost 3-4x to produce a gallon of E85 than it does to produce a gallon of gas. With subsidies it is typically a dollar or more cheaper. The really subtly evil part of that is the people that can afford the E85 vehicles are the upper middle class and above. Those folks that could most benefit from the subsidize prices can't afford 'new' vehicles.