10% Ethanol in fuel

Joseharris

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Panama, and local government is making a move into having all fuel mixed with 10% ethanol by sept 2013.

I understand that not all engines are fit for such fuel mix. Are FZ6's able to handle such ?

Jose

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
I also live in US, Pennsylvania too.:thumbup:

To stay on topic, yes as far as I know all model years of the FZ6 (whether produced for US or other markets) has no problem with the standard 10% ethanol fuel mixture. I also believe that this goes for most if not all automobile/motorcycle engines(at least those produced relatively recently). My Dad claims that some of his older farm equipment runs poorly on the mixed fuel.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Just throw in another vote of confidence. 99% of all gas stations in MN have up to 10% ethanol mixed in. I do have a place right in town that sells both ethanol free and 10%, and I've seen no difference. Maybe a slight change in MPGs, but if there is, it's minimal.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
The motor and fuel lines will tolerate 10%. If it sits in the tank for long there will eventually for sure be problems. It absorbs moisture from the air like brake fluid then separates, and then forms acidic rust. You will experience 3-5% less fuel mileage as well immediately. Yamaha sells a product for this specifically for ethanol use in snowmobile country called Fuel Med RX. I think the 16OZ size is most useful as it has a measuring device built in like Stabil. It is also available in a size for one tank full and in gallons!
So they have stupid pandering politicians there too? Those of here in the USA should go to: pure-gas.org as there are some stations and refineries that have not buckled to the EPA.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in PA also, Jose. We have 10% ethanol in our fuel at the moment, with the threat of going to 15% ethanol mix shortly. There are two gas stations in my area which still sell "zero ethanol" gas, and I use it exclusively in my lawn equipment. It's just too hard to always ride by the E0 station when I'm out riding on my FZ6.

I experienced a noticeable reduction in power on my former TW200 single cylinder motorcycle, when using E10 gas rather than E0 gas. Of course, that bike only had 16 hp. Also, when I cleaned the carburetor out on the TW last summer before selling it, I noticed the inside of the carb was a pretty bright yellow color, which I presumed came from the ethanol content in the E10 fuel I mostly used.

Two observations for the FZ6: First, I see no noticeable change in performance using E10 fuel. The fuel injection system seems to burn it just fine, and there's so much horsepower available that a few don't get missed. Second, I always "preserve" the E10 fuel with an ethanol-specific additive from my Yamaha dealer, the absolute first moment that the fuel gets put into the tank. Untreated E10 fuel can go bad in less than 30 days if you don't use a preservative!
- - - Hope yours runs just as well, Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its tough to avoid it in the states. 4 times a year I dump Techrolene in to pull the moisture out. Anyone who routinely lets a vehicle with steel gas tank sit for extended times will likely have issues compared to daily drivers.

If you leave it sit for months, try to keep the tank full so it has less area to rust!
major tom nailed it good. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on MajorTom, 2007 fizzer and dpaul007. (and about everything else posted here)

I've had issues in the boat (built in 50 gallon tank) where moisture likes to accumulate, especially with 10% ethonol. It took me awhile between using Non-ethonol marine fuel and an additive called K100: K100 Fuel Treatment

Should you have water collecting in the system, it actually keeps the fuel and water from separating and keeps it mixed so your eventually burning it ALL OUT. Its also a fuel stabilizer to help keep the fuel from breaking down within a month.

When I had my boat repowered with a new Yamaha 4 stroke 150, back in 07, I discovered a short pice of fuel line, from the first fuel filter to the engine fuel filter filling up with some black crap. After some digging, I found that hose broke down internally, (likely from the ethonol((before I learned about K100)) on the inside. One layer of inner rubber actuall broke down and was coming apart heading down stream into the engine fuel filter. A bunch of cleaning, new primer bulb, new marine grade fuel line and all was good. I can confirm this stuff works as I would check, over time, fuel from the high pressure fuel pump which had small particles of visable water eventually go away. The fuel NOW, looks new, smells fresh, nice and clear, no issues. The hose that broke down internally is the first picture, the short line from the main filter (shown), to the primer bulb below it.

I ride often but use this religiously in the FZ and EVERY Gas engine I own and work on. I have yet to have to re-clean a carb (chopper/mulcher(8HP Tecumsuh, 10HP Briggs generator) that's sits for LONG periods of time and starts the first pull...

Its not cheap, I buy it by the case and its considerably cheaper and easier than pulling the fuel tank on the boat to drain it. A case will last me a several years..

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Stoichiometric AFR ratio is 14.7 with regular gas, 14.1 with E-10. Most than likely, like others said... you won't feel a difference other than MPG.

Keep in mind that E-10 has a shelve life of 2-3 months... if you are storing your ride away for few months you will need some additive.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
10% ethanol is unavoidable in the US. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Using food (corn) to make fuel while half of the world population is starving and we have more than enough oil in the ground if the environmentalists didn't have such panty wads. If the government didn't subsidize the ethanol production our fuel costs would jump 25% overnight!
:Flip:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
10% ethanol is unavoidable in the US. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Using food (corn) to make fuel while half of the world population is starving and we have more than enough oil in the ground if the environmentalists didn't have such panty wads. If the government didn't subsidize the ethanol production our fuel costs would jump 25% overnight!
:Flip:

Didn't wanna go political -
How many millions does it cost to grow, harvest, refine, and dispense that crap and only to have it hurt mpg thus burning more fuel making MORE pollutants? lol
Its totally ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Flip:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't wanna go political -
How many millions does it cost to grow, harvest, refine, and dispense that crap and only to have it hurt mpg thus burning more fuel making MORE pollutants? lol
Its totally ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Flip:
Ethanol actually burns cleaner. But it takes more energy to produce ethanol from corn than you get out of the end product. Only reason it's cheaper is because of the government. I agree with fizzer on that standpoint.

All political banter aside, use pure gasoline in small and seasonal engines (lawn mower, trimmer, boats, jet skis, etc.) For daily driving and larger fuel injected engines, it won't do any harm.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From York County here... Since I see a couple Dutch Boys on the thread.;)

I've had zero problems with 10% on our FZ6.

However I had to change out my fuel lines on my V-Rod due to the Ethanol. Supposedly it is because the fuel lines were made with some sort of plastic that didn't react well with Ethanol, causing cracks and possible ruptures.

There is a Shell station in Stewartstown that still sells straight gasoline. I was surprised the other week when I pulled in for gas and they had a sign on the center island. NO ETHANOL GASOLINE. I thought there was some sort of legislation requiring them to sell Ethanol "enriched" fuel.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
All political banter aside, use pure gasoline in small and seasonal engines (lawn mower, trimmer, boats, jet skis, etc.) For daily driving and larger fuel injected engines, it won't do any harm.

If you are lucky enough to have a pure gas fuel station where you live!

The closest to me that sells pure gas is 40 miles! I worry about my chain saw, lawn tractor and other small engines when not being used. I add seafoam to the fuel mix but I know of a lot of people with newer lawn equipment needing new carburetors and fuel lines because of E-10.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have the option both 100% gas and 10% ethonal in OK. In can't tell a difference in any of my vehicles between the two. That said I only use 100% in the Aprilia due to the plastic fuel tank. There have been several cases of tank delamination due 15% ethonal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are lucky enough to have a pure gas fuel station where you live!

The closest to me that sells pure gas is 40 miles! I worry about my chain saw, lawn tractor and other small engines when not being used. I add seafoam to the fuel mix but I know of a lot of people with newer lawn equipment needing new carburetors and fuel lines because of E-10.

I hear ya. I just lucked out and have a station in my small town that sells it. Non-oxygenated premium gasoline costs quite a bit more, though. Definitely not worth it for my car or bike.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
It's too bad they limp in with E10. I'd love to be able to have better access to E85. With its high octane (over 100) and better cooling, you can run higher compression and more boost for more power if you make the necessary changes to fueling. You could run very high static compression, and/or more boost in forced induction applications. Cruising distance takes a hit since there is less energy in E85, however.