1/4 Mile Times

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, first post on these forums! I hope the SBN guys don't see me defecting over here much, I'm supposed to be over there moderating their FZ6 boards!!

Anyways, I love drag racing, so I decided to come here and post my times. Last year, I went to the drags 3 times. Once at a quarter track, twice at an eighth. All times very hot and sticky weather. Here is my best time in the quarter (with worn out stock gearing and a very clogged stock air filter at this point, I noticed it when I got home from that trip)
It was also the very first time I have ever been to a drag strip, so I didn't know how the tree worked, hence the RIDICULOUS reaction time.
.8685 Reaction
1.8171 60ft.
4.8665 330ft.
7.4036 1/8ET
96.01 1/8MPH
11.6124 1/4ET
113.90 1/4MPH

Fastest one I got a slip for in the 1/8 was with -1/+2 520 gearing, a new K&N air filter, and a little more practice.
R/T .287
60' 1.744
1/8 7.260
mph 97.81

I think I maxed out my bike, I was skimming the front tire the whole time in first and most of second, and I was winding it out to redline and clutchless shifting every gear, I never made it past 98mph I think, I was redlining 3rd in every run. Also, giving it any more at the launch resulted in a 1000 foot wheelie :)

Here is a video of my fastest run, but the damn thing wouldn't print a timeslip for me :(

Thanks for the video. Sweet !!

martinharris136

martinharris136
Reaction score
Visit site
Was this track in Calgary not giving altitude adjustments relative to your time? At sea level the pressure is 14.696:1 whereas at 3,000ft the pressure is 13.23:1 and this could make a difference but more so in the case of an unregulated (no ECU) engine. The use of an ECU and subsequent adjustable run profile like that of the Power Commander would have no problem at all getting back to the 14.696 level.

How are you defining bad air? The thin air at altitude will (to a point) make the bike faster, not slower. An example of this were the world records set in the Mexico City Olympics of 1968. Runners were posting unreal times and Bob Beaman jumped 2 feet farther than any man in the history of long jumping. The altitude there is 7,400ft and the records set were later questioned but stood none the less. Most NHRA tracks I have been to and we can use Denver as an example adjust for altitude simply because things do get easier.

i c what u mean but not true. engines can only make as much power as they can get air. while a computer might gain back some lost performance if you have thin atmostphere you cant burn as much fuel. so you loose a lot of power. I live at 6,500 ft and my ninja 500's top speed droped by about 15 mph due to a loss in horsepower. im yet to commit a full speed run on the fz6 but it seamed close to out of steam at 140. however a super or turbo charger changes things completly my statement only pertains to naturally asperated vehicles such as almost all motorcycles and i am assuming almost all of us with fz6s

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

i c what u mean but not true. engines can only make as much power as they can get air. while a computer might gain back some lost performance if you have thin atmostphere you cant burn as much fuel. so you loose a lot of power. I live at 6,500 ft and my ninja 500's top speed droped by about 15 mph due to a loss in horsepower. im yet to commit a full speed run on the fz6 but it seamed close to out of steam at 140. however a super or turbo charger changes things completly my statement only pertains to naturally asperated vehicles such as almost all motorcycles and i am assuming almost all of us with fz6s

Years ago this would hold true but OBD1 and OBDII changed all that because the computer doesn't care and many can make the air fuel ratio adjustment to altitudes as high as 10,000 feet in elevation. When I lived in California Onyx summit was around 8,400 feet and I noticed no difference at all while up there on the FZ6. The Harley, which is carbureted, didn't like it as it wasn't jetted for the thin air. It ran ok but there was clearly a loss of power on the overall powerband and especially on the low end. The ECU is designed to keep that engine at 14.7:1 even if the relative pressures are below this. Bikes and cages are now smart and as long as they are operated within the established parameters either high or low, there will be very little loss in performance.

Coty

Reaction score
Visit site
my best time here at the bristol VA track so far has been 11.7, i'm not very crisp on gear changes or it might be better, thats all stock and 170lb rider, if you want better 1/4's i'd change the sproc's

powerline

Reaction score
Visit site
Right, HavBlu, EFI will keep your air/fuel ratio the same regardless of altitude, but it cannot add oxygen as altitude increases. That's why engines lose power as altitude increases, there's just not as much air up there. Same is if you decrease boost on a turbocharged engine. Even if the air/fuel ratios are identical the engine with less boost will make less power. There's less air, so it can't burn the same amount of fuel efficiently.

Ewhite6

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't find my of my old slips but I normally run a 11.6. I have never raced several cbr600rr and I have never lost on my stock 04 fz6. Their trap speed is always 5-10 faster than me but i normally win by about .2. Also i normally rev to 2.5k for take off