1/4 Mile Times

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a 1/4 mile time yet but was wondering who does and what youre top speeds and times were?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think one of the mags ran an 11.2 or 11.3 with a trap of 119 or so.

W

wrightme43

r/t .180
60' 2.165
330' 5.483
1/8th 8.054 @ 93.39 mph
1000' 10364
1/4 12.355 @112.81

and skipping all the b.s. on the other one
12.346 @ 111.73
r/t .098 almost but not quite a redlight.

Full gear, full fuel, lowered tire pressure, night time, very very hot that night.
Never spun a tire once. Did almost flip the bike on my last run. I just let the clutch out to fast at way to many rpm.

H

HavBlue

Back in 2004 when the bike came out one of the mags had a professional rider run a best of 11.03 at like 121mph and smoked the clutch after 11 or 12 runs....... No doubt the bike is not geared for running 1/4 miles on the strip as 119mph in 4th gear with stock gearing 16/46 (2.87:1) is only 12,000rpm so gearing it up to like 15/52 (3.46:1) with the right rider may gather some 10 second times and a better use of the 6 gears available.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
My Koso speedo records my 1/4 times (starts as soon as my front wheel moves and stops after 1/4 mile :D)... but I have not played with it yet... will report back ASAP.

kyle_ott

Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer i had over 200 1/4 mile races. with the stock 16t sprocket i was not able to get under high 11.4s clutchless shifts after 1st-2nd, running between 116-121mph. when i swapped my sprocket to a 14t i was running consistant 11.3@118mph. keep in mind this was done in Calgary Canada @ over 3,000ft above sea level-BAD air. Im sure i will shave @ least .2 off of my time now that im in toronto. i have a few races on youtube. its under my girlfriend user name mits24 look up fz6 vs r6

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
r/t .180
60' 2.165
330' 5.483
1/8th 8.054 @ 93.39 mph
1000' 10364
1/4 12.355 @112.81

and skipping all the b.s. on the other one
12.346 @ 111.73
r/t .098 almost but not quite a redlight.

Full gear, full fuel, lowered tire pressure, night time, very very hot that night.
Never spun a tire once. Did almost flip the bike on my last run. I just let the clutch out to fast at way to many rpm.
Hey Steve ,
Out of interest, how how hard and at what revs can you dump the clutch to acheive those (respectable) times?
Nelly

H

HavBlue

Last summer i had over 200 1/4 mile races. with the stock 16t sprocket i was not able to get under high 11.4s clutchless shifts after 1st-2nd, running between 116-121mph. when i swapped my sprocket to a 14t i was running consistant 11.3@118mph. keep in mind this was done in Calgary Canada @ over 3,000ft above sea level-BAD air. Im sure i will shave @ least .2 off of my time now that im in toronto. i have a few races on youtube. its under my girlfriend user name mits24 look up fz6 vs r6

Will you still be running the 3.28:1 gearing? On this final drive set up what gear are you in when you hit the traps?

S

sportrider

I think I would just run 3rd out in the 1/4. I'm seeing 124MPH at the rev limiter. gotta go to a strip and see.

W

wrightme43

Hey Steve ,
Out of interest, how how hard and at what revs can you dump the clutch to acheive those (respectable) times?
Nelly

I never dumped the clutch. I tried to do the thing in Total control with reving the bike up and slipping the clutch. I just dont have enough practice. I didnt write it down and I dont remember because I wasnt serious and didnt take notes.
I would ask Kyle? he has a whole lot more experince racing the strip than me. I just did it for fun.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never dumped the clutch. I tried to do the thing in Total control with reving the bike up and slipping the clutch. I just dont have enough practice. I didnt write it down and I dont remember because I wasnt serious and didnt take notes.
I would ask Kyle? he has a whole lot more experince racing the strip than me. I just did it for fun.
Thanks mate,
I have only tried gettimg off the line drag style a couple of times. I to was just concentarting on the direction of travel. All I remember was that the time from first ti 2nd was very short.

Nel

H

HavBlue

keep in mind this was done in Calgary Canada @ over 3,000ft above sea level-BAD air.

Was this track in Calgary not giving altitude adjustments relative to your time? At sea level the pressure is 14.696:1 whereas at 3,000ft the pressure is 13.23:1 and this could make a difference but more so in the case of an unregulated (no ECU) engine. The use of an ECU and subsequent adjustable run profile like that of the Power Commander would have no problem at all getting back to the 14.696 level.

How are you defining bad air? The thin air at altitude will (to a point) make the bike faster, not slower. An example of this were the world records set in the Mexico City Olympics of 1968. Runners were posting unreal times and Bob Beaman jumped 2 feet farther than any man in the history of long jumping. The altitude there is 7,400ft and the records set were later questioned but stood none the less. Most NHRA tracks I have been to and we can use Denver as an example adjust for altitude simply because things do get easier.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to say this thread is one of the best so far. there is so much to learn from others, get questions answerd, and find out from other people who have the !#!# to try to go that fast, or R/T, or for people like me who just dont have the......guts.

Bryan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. Thus far, more than I expected. I was watching a show on the speed channel one night ( I think called sport bike) and they were doing a little; how to: 1/4 mile show. I couldn't believe how much technique was involved in making a good 1/4 mile run.

I'm not saying I want to go drag racing every weekend but just wanted to know how we rate. I wouldn't want to pull up next to an R1 some evening and act like I want to run. :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. Thus far, more than I expected. I was watching a show on the speed channel one night ( I think called sport bike) and they were doing a little; how to: 1/4 mile show. I couldn't believe how much technique was involved in making a good 1/4 mile run.

I'm not saying I want to go drag racing every weekend but just wanted to know how we rate. I wouldn't want to pull up next to an R1 some evening and act like I want to run. :)

Man you said it Bryan, there is so much to try to get a fast quarter mile time. Everything happens so quick.

Friends of mine has several Camaros, '69, '78, '98 and a '07 Vette, that he and she (husband/wife team) drag race regularly. Over the years it been watching them improve. There are so many tiny things that lead to a good pass. She is better than him!

With practice I think you'll find you'll be able to beat many liter bikes off the line. Many of those guys take there power for granted and don't use good technique.

When I roadraced I was okay, a good B+ rider, but damn if I could get the hole shot! I would pass so may people at the start and be the first guy into the turn. I have no idea why. Just rev the motor to 7,500, as the clutch came out, give it a bit more gas and steer through traffic. Beats me.

I've never been to a drag strip to race, does look like fun.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, first post on these forums! I hope the SBN guys don't see me defecting over here much, I'm supposed to be over there moderating their FZ6 boards!!

Anyways, I love drag racing, so I decided to come here and post my times. Last year, I went to the drags 3 times. Once at a quarter track, twice at an eighth. All times very hot and sticky weather. Here is my best time in the quarter (with worn out stock gearing and a very clogged stock air filter at this point, I noticed it when I got home from that trip)
It was also the very first time I have ever been to a drag strip, so I didn't know how the tree worked, hence the RIDICULOUS reaction time.
.8685 Reaction
1.8171 60ft.
4.8665 330ft.
7.4036 1/8ET
96.01 1/8MPH
11.6124 1/4ET
113.90 1/4MPH

Fastest one I got a slip for in the 1/8 was with -1/+2 520 gearing, a new K&N air filter, and a little more practice.
R/T .287
60' 1.744
1/8 7.260
mph 97.81

I think I maxed out my bike, I was skimming the front tire the whole time in first and most of second, and I was winding it out to redline and clutchless shifting every gear, I never made it past 98mph I think, I was redlining 3rd in every run. Also, giving it any more at the launch resulted in a 1000 foot wheelie :)

Here is a video of my fastest run, but the damn thing wouldn't print a timeslip for me :(