09 Good Price?

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to get some thoughts on a quote I got from a dealer today.
$6840 for the bike, $159 document fee, $ 386 freight/set-up/prep fee.
The doc and freight/set-up/prep fees seem a little high.
How much wiggle room is there with the bike price? Would I be asking too much to have them cut it down by $400-$500?
Thanks

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like an ok price...however, that prep/doc fee seems pretty bogus. I think most new FZ's sell for around 7000, so I think it's a pretty fair price.

My personal suggestion would be to buy used though, and try to get an FZ that's had some after-market work. off the lot an FZ6 depreciates about 1500-2000 dollars. No joke. You can probably find a used 09 or even an 08 with some nice work done on it for a little over five thousand.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds a bit high. I got my 2008 FZ6 last August for $6420 out the door.

Given your dealers quote, you'll be well over $7,000 by the time tax, title, prep and all of their other fees are factored in.

The economy is tough right now, and not many people are buying non-essential items (motorcycles, boats, RV's and so on). Use that to your advantage when negotiating a deal. If the dealer won't budge, go elsewhere! I drove 200 miles to a Metropolitan dealer and saved $1,200 over what my local Yamaha dealer wanted.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I called C&E in Middleboro for you(thats where I bought mine). price was higher ($7290), but only add $50 Doc fee. Would only save you $45, depends where you are, may not be worth the ride. Get one and we can ride once my shoulder heals up(just had surgury last Monday)

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
My out the door price on a new 2008 in sept of 2008 was $6649 for the bike, doc fees, title fees, 5% tax, inspection sticker. I will have to look at my invoice for the exact breakdowns. There were no factory-to-customer incentives at that time and I paid cash. This was at Brocton Cycle, salesman was James IIRC (I can check if you'd like).

By comparison you'll be paying about $7750 based on the numbers you've shared (ie the bike plus fees you listed plus tax and a sticker). I don't know how much if any the MSRP changed between 08-09 and I don't know if there are any rebates available from Yamaha on this bike.

Given that we are in peak riding season you may not be able to do as well as us '08 buyers did, but also the economy is in worse shape. So you should try to negotiate a bit more.

Or ask if they can locate a 2008 leftover, its the same bike except for the seat.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
looks liek the 2009 is a few hundred more than the 2008 was. However there is a $300-500 rebate on the FZ6 right now:

Motorcycle Models 2009 2008 & Prior

Super Sport Touring
FJR1300A/AE $300 $500

Super Sport
FZ1 $300 $500
FZ6 (excludes FZ6R) $300 $500
YZF-R1 - $500
YZF-R6 - $300
YZF-R6S - $200

GoGreen09

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my FZ6R for $6100, that's not including any fees. I got screwed with the freight and handling fees and I told this to the a second dealer that serviced my bike. He told me that he would've matched that and the handling fees would have been considerably less. I imagine that for the FZ6, you have a lot of bargaining power especially if you're going to buy with cash. The only thing is that you may have to find dealers that actually have the FZ6 in stock and in the color you like.

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I called C&E in Middleboro for you(thats where I bought mine). price was higher ($7290), but only add $50 Doc fee. Would only save you $45, depends where you are, may not be worth the ride. Get one and we can ride once my shoulder heals up(just had surgury last Monday)
Thanks for calling C&E. I actually emailed them yesterday, still waiting for a reply. They're actually the closest to me, I'm in Canton. I'mm contact them again and see if they can do better.
Once I get my confidence on the bike, I'd definitely be up for a ride. I'm coming off of a WR250R, so I know this is going to be a different experience.

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
My out the door price on a new 2008 in sept of 2008 was $6649 for the bike, doc fees, title fees, 5% tax, inspection sticker. I will have to look at my invoice for the exact breakdowns. There were no factory-to-customer incentives at that time and I paid cash. This was at Brocton Cycle, salesman was James IIRC (I can check if you'd like).

By comparison you'll be paying about $7750 based on the numbers you've shared (ie the bike plus fees you listed plus tax and a sticker). I don't know how much if any the MSRP changed between 08-09 and I don't know if there are any rebates available from Yamaha on this bike.

Given that we are in peak riding season you may not be able to do as well as us '08 buyers did, but also the economy is in worse shape. So you should try to negotiate a bit more.

Or ask if they can locate a 2008 leftover, its the same bike except for the seat.

I'm waiting to hear back from Brockton. Do you think paying cash would get them to lower their price any?
And thanks for the heads up on the rebate money from Yamaha.

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
As suggested look used. A guy in nashville couldn't unload his 08 for $4500. and ended up sending it to the auction in Atlanta. It had 2k miles and he said mint. New 08 on ebay for 5300 plus tax and tag. This is a buyers market and if you have cash/credit you name your price. Make them offers etc. Don't just accept what they tell you. Offer them less/what you feel is a fair price and leave your phone number. They will call. Good luck. Not much of a transition from a 250 to the fz6 if you keep the revs under 4k. Take it over 7k and now you in a world of hurt. Good Luck and ride safe.

jdough7

Reaction score
Visit site
None of the places around me had leftovers (or at least they said they didn't). While the economy is down, that doesn't mean people have stopped buying bikes all together. People have stopped buying bikes over 600cc due to the high gas prices which means the FZs have been going quick. On top of that due to the bad economy Yamamha is cutting production and cancelled all dealer conferences for the year.

This is what I have surmised from talking to different dealers, so take with a grain of salt.

Anyway, thats probably not a terrible price. Two dealers told me $6900 before all the extra BS. If you're going into a dealer, new or used, go with as much cash as you can and you should get a few hundred more off the price.

Good luck
Jay

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
If you qant to go used I did a quick search on Cycletrader and found 3, didn't know the zipcode of Canton, so I used my office zip in Walpole.
Fz6 Motorcycles for Sale near Walpole, Massachusetts

Less, thanks for doing the search, but I think I'm going to go for new.
Also, thanks for the info via PM. I contacted the dealer in Shrewsbury but am still waiting to hear back.
Thanks again.

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
$ 7290.00 FZ6
$ 252.00 Freight
$ 50.00 Dealer Prep
$ 75.00 Admin Fee
$ 7667.00 Sub Total
$ (300.00) YAMAHA Customer Cash
$ 7367.00 Total
$(4000.00) Trade
$ 3367.00

That's were I stand now from M.O.M.'s. I'm going to see if I can get some more knocked off if I pay cash.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Performance is a good shop (I get my parts there), my guess is they will offer something like $400 off sticker with minimal extra fees and then give you the rebate. I tried to buy my last two bikes there but they never had what I wanted in stock.

I would sugget you call vs. email, you may get better response, and I would guess that ultimately you'll need to negotiate face-to-face to get the best price once you find a shop that has the bike in stock.

With the quote from MOMs, how is that trade value relative to what the bike is worth (ie is it inflated to make up for the full sticker price?) You could ask for a quote without the trade to see what they can do for comparison purposes.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
$ 7290.00 FZ6
$ 252.00 Freight
$ 50.00 Dealer Prep
$ 75.00 Admin Fee
$ 7667.00 Sub Total
$ (300.00) YAMAHA Customer Cash
$ 7367.00 Total
$(4000.00) Trade
$ 3367.00

That's were I stand now from M.O.M.'s. I'm going to see if I can get some more knocked off if I pay cash.

MOM's was one of the highest (along with Motorsports International) when I got quotes. I'd call Jennifer or Phil at Performance and tell them I recommended you ( Steve who bought the blue FZ6), I bought my FZ6 there last month and offer them $7,000 including all rebates and freight, prep, admin. The only problem is I don't know if they have one in stock right now. I know they have the FZ6R, but I didn't see an FZ6 on the floor last Saturday.

Also, if you haven't already I'd log into Progressive Insurance's website and get a rate quote. They just started selling Motorcycle insurance in Ma. as of April 1st and I saved $200 over what I was quoted through my previous insurance agent for full coverage. I switched as of May 1st to Progressive.

CT Trail Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased a black 09 FZ6 today from Enfield Motor Sports in Enfield, CT. I paid $6,500 for the bike, $7046 OTD including 6% CT sales tax. I'm happy with the deal and the people at the shop were friendly and courteous. I pick it up tomorrow afternoon, I can't wait to break it in over the long weekend.

Last edited: