Motorcycle Kayaking.

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ever tell me what I can't do !!!

Thought I'd share an interesting little setup. I realize lots of people tour or camp with their bikes which involves hauling stuff on the back, but I think kayaks are still somewhat rare, and probably a surprise.

When I first got a bike all my friends got on me about how they're only useful 2 months of the year, can't ride in rain, can't carry anything.
So perhaps this is all just a bit of backlash. I ride through rain, through winter (snowflakes but not heavy) with heated gear, carry camping gear for 2 people + passenger, and on other occasions a compound hunting bow or the kayak.

Sure a car would be easier, but I don't want a second vehicle nor do I need one and it's fun to do what people say you can't. Of course 'can't' just turns into 'stupid' when nay-sayers can't admit they were wrong.

What is it? How much?
I got this Kayak last summer and it's called a Folbot (kiawah model). I'm not affiliated in any way other than being a happy and impressed customer (great product + service). They've been doing this since 1933 so it's by no means a fly by night operation, nor are you beta testing anything, and the kayaks are hand made in the USA and I'm a fan of keeping things local. There's a Canadian company that makes folding kayaks and they're a higher quality but also 2-3x the cost so that was a no-go, even though I'm Canadian.
This one after tax, and UPS (! HORRIBLE FEES $600) + paddle/accessories was verging on $3k (since last year they dropped $500 from the price) which is pretty normal for any decent kayak but the Canadian ones were in the 6k range. I couldn't justify that for my usage levels. inflating ones sound like bad news to me so I won't go near them. I prefer having a rigid metal frame holding things together. if this springs a leak I have a pump. if an air bladder springs a leak on an inflation one I'd be afraid of the entire boat buckling and folding. no way.

The kayak fits inside a backpack and it's similar to a tent in how you assemble it. The difference of course is the poles are much thicker, stronger, and the skin is really thick as well. You can pick the metal frame up and it doesn't flex or anything once assembled.

The kayaks aren't just weekend kayaks for lakes, people take these things to multi day/week expeditions through iceburgs in Alaska. I think that's beyond my skill level for now so this ones just goes to the humber river, lake Ontario, Toronto island..

Review
I won't get into a lengthy review. the quick: takes me about 15min-20min to assemble, 10min to disassemble. Not quite as fast in the water as a fiberglass kayak due to the skin not being as straight but maybe 80%..? no issues going over rocks, but it's not going to whitewater unless you want a broken frame (people have tried). 32lbs but with paddle, life jacket, water shoes, etc it's closer to 40.
I just wear the backpack and get on the bike. the backpack is BIG though. the FZ6 isn't petite so the bag is larger than the photo makes it seem. still trying to find a way to strap it down but the pack is 126L and they don't really make motorcycle bags of that volume.

If you live in an apartment/condo and don't have room to store a kayak, don't have a car, don't want something ontop of your car, or you're not keen on renting and you're into kayaking, this is an option. renting for me doesn't work because they always set you up in a tiny boundary area so you're just paddling around in little circles for $50 a pop and have set times... that gets old real fast.

Overall I'm really happy and thought I'd share. Cheers!

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like you were off in your kayak around Humber bay bridge. Do you just leave your bike in the parking and load kayak right from the shore?

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
CowtownBiomed: It's wearable as a backpack.

Mongol: I usually start more north, so I park in the free parking around the humber river entrance near the old mill subway stop on Bloor, then I can paddle down to the lake. and yup, that's the humber bay bridge. humber is a pretty calm paddle that at times appears to not be part of the city due to the tree coverage and then exits right into lake ontario so there's lots of room to play.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it - thanks!
I wish I could load my canoe, two big dogs (200 lbs+ combined) and my wife on the bike - have to stick to our cars one day a week.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about it but it would have to be custom made to fit two big dogs. Plus they are both northern breeds (akita and shepherd and hysky cross) so no rides in hot weather. Which will likely limit it to spring, fall and occasional winter ride.
Also the factor for me: let's say we take a ride to some forest trail. I am not concerned about leaving our cages for a long period of time but bike - I think not, I'll be thinking about her all the time!

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha! I know. That's an issue for me and for now why I try to stick to car
Camping and not 3 day portage trips. I feel uneasy about leaving the bike parked in the open right off a highway in plain view.
I will probably get a garmin gtu10 gps tracker but that's really only helpful for local. I would still be stranded if I were camping
Sent from my commodore 64 via tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Well ain't that just slicker then owl snot and ain't near as messy!! When I first saw the title of this post I had a real weird picture of a fz6 floating in a canoe lol

But that is awesome that you found a way to still do what you want and make it happen with the bike. I know exactly what your talking about being fun to do what people say you can't, I've always been the same way. The word word can't can be a huge motivator! I've also taken my fz6 hunting with a compound bow strapped to the back, I've actually strapped quite a few weird things back there. View attachment 43509 I still have a truck but the SOB will cost me $60 in gas to get to my property and back so if I only plan on going for a day I try to take a bike. Ive actually been kicking around the idea of mounting a removable gun boot to the side of the klr, or something similar to the old military Harley's with something mounted beside the forks.

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
ChevyFazer:
I'm curious how do you attach the compound bow to the FZ6? I currently on my old ninja that has e21 side bags just lay it accross and strap it down in a padded case. I've been thinking about getting a plastic hard shell case though and perhaps rigging up a givi mount so I can just lock it to my topbox rack.

there must be an off the shelf solution though no?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually just strapped it to the back seat. I used some pull straps and cris crossed them over the limbs to the grab handles. I only did it once and actually don't have the bow anymore, I've never been too big into bow hunting but one of my buddies needed some money so I bought his bow and tried it for one season, but after a couple misses I went back with a rifle and sold the bow lol.

As far as off the shelf options go I know I haven't really seen any. It would more then likely have to be something custom made. I plan on getting another Kolpin gun boot for a 4wheeler and find a way to attach it to the side racks on my klr. I haven't looked into it much but I'm sure there are bow racks for 4wheelers as well, that would make a good starting platform to work off of and make it fit to your bike.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice. I'd been thinking about getting a trailer to pull the kayak with the bike instead of taking the truck all the time. Never thought of a folding kayak. Well done.

huy

Reaction score
Visit site
This is pretty awesome. I can't believe you can wear that thing as a backpack.

Just bought an inflatable kayak myself. I would rather strap it on the bike somehow thought.