08 FZ6 Ignition Removal

bmat8

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm at a bit of a stand still. Bought this bike used and have already lost the single (and only) key I was given. I'm a bit mechanically inclined - but for the life of me, I'm completely unable to get the ignition removed. The bike currently has the steering locked, and I'm unsure if that makes me unable to remove the upper triple clamp?

I've attached pictures of what I've removed thus far. Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.... Hi and welcome to the forum.

Title + locksmith and have a key made?
In the end your faced w the same issues, so why drill an chop when a key will save having to buy parts and tear things apart.

I'd opt for that path. After that, its gonna involve breaking parts and rekeying everything.
Do a search for triple tree removal. Should find results. Good luck!

bmat8

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome.

Yup, that's what I was opting for. There's a local locksmith that'll do it if you bring the ignition + title in for ~$25 bucks. I have the Title, just a pain in the ass getting the triple tree out.

So essentially I have to remove the triple tree and that should give me access to the ignition? Which I should then be able to remove and bring to a locksmith, correct?

Thanks again.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If he can do it on the bike would be much easier but you'd need to scroung up a trailer/PU truck.

Otherwise, to get to the ignition switch electrical connector its under the tank (must be lifted) and I believe under the battery.

You'll have to put the bike on the centerstand and jack up just slightly under the header to get any load off the front end (as the upper and lower triple will have to be removed)..

With the sterring lock securred, its much more difficult. You have to remove the forks, so the entire upper and lower triple tree can be removed for the extra clearance you'll need to clear the locking pin. Then you can remove the handlebars, center stem nut.

If the locksmith needs the switch separated from the triple, simply drill/ grind the heads off the two securring bolts. Yamaha makes replacement (shearing bolts) to re-secure the switch.

(once the switch is off, you simply grab what studs are left and remove them with a vise grip)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not that simple. You have to pull the tank and air box and then unplug the harness. One option is to bring the tank or helmet lock but they dont use all of the keys detents so thats no help.

So any friends with truck or trailer? Is it an option to do roadside? Pay more? I fear you have to break the wheel lock to remove it. I posted a thread on this topic for powder coating the triple. Do a seach. I left the ignition on the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, the helmet lock would be easier to pull off and use that as a template for a new key. You'll have to finagle a short torx bit to get in there. The lock is easily opened off the bike, just turn the small shaft, it'll unlock and all the tumblers are right there after you remove the last one (that secures the lock cylinder itself).

Here's a link for a Helmet Guardian (same outsides, inside cylinder is slightly different);

Helmet Guardian locks - Parts and Accessories - FJRForum

BTW, You can't get the gas cap open/off without a key

Last edited:

bmat8

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I'll be going the helmet lock route for the time being. I do have a hitch, but no trailer, though, at this point, it may be worth the 20 bucks to rent a uhaul and bring it to the locksmith. Going to try and get this done over the weekend. I'll post results on what happens.

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I'll be going the helmet lock route for the time being. I do have a hitch, but no trailer, though, at this point, it may be worth the 20 bucks to rent a uhaul and bring it to the locksmith. Going to try and get this done over the weekend. I'll post results on what happens.

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

HOLD THE FRONT DOOR, HERE!!!

I do believe, title + Yamaha Dealer = New Key (a nice new yamaha key)

No need to remove, un bolt, or un-do anything at all...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
HOLD THE FRONT DOOR, HERE!!!

I do believe, title + Yamaha Dealer = New Key (a nice new yamaha key)

No need to remove, un bolt, or un-do anything at all...

Yes, but you need the alphanumeric code that came with the original keys. A dog tag so to speak... Although i suppose there may be database tie back to the vin. Never tried it.

bmat8

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, but you need the alphanumeric code that came with the original keys. A dog tag so to speak... Although i suppose there may be database tie back to the vin. Never tried it.

Exactly. The keys that I received with the bike did not have that alphanumeric code. I did buy the bike used from a dealership and the original title says that the bike was bought at a dealership Connecticut. Unfortunately, they don't have that code associated with the bike. They happened to start keeping the codes in their database in 2010. Two years too late.