07 FZ6 tail swap to 04-06 R1 tail

FZ6-CBR900RR-EX250

Reaction score
Visit site
First thread, I'll start off with hello all.
So I bought my wife a 07 FZ6 and she has no need for the ability to carry a passenger, and there is preexistent tail damage so we decided to do a swap I chose the R1 04-06 tail due to the under tail dual exhaust that I've grown fond of. I will post pictures as I go, got the tail today thanks Ebay bought a tail for $60 upper and lower, now to find a seat, passenger seat delete, tail light, and a dual can set up. this will be a multi point build. here are the goals for this build.
1. lets not blow a bunch of $$$ so this will be a budget build I'm aiming for $200-$300 range
2. unique, be differently confirmative. I like the style of the fazzer but it needs some final touches Yamaha forgot to add... lol
3. Wife loves it... that's enough said I hope. If she hates it that will be the end of funding for this project.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our family! :rockon:

Mod away!!!! I think someone has done the R1 tail on the FZ6 before and it looked really good!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
First thread, I'll start off with hello all.
So I bought my wife a 07 FZ6 and she has no need for the ability to carry a passenger, and there is preexistent tail damage so we decided to do a swap I chose the R1 04-06 tail due to the under tail dual exhaust that I've grown fond of. I will post pictures as I go, got the tail today thanks Ebay bought a tail for $60 upper and lower, now to find a seat, passenger seat delete, tail light, and a dual can set up. this will be a multi point build. here are the goals for this build.
1. lets not blow a bunch of $$$ so this will be a budget build I'm aiming for $200-$300 range
2. unique, be differently confirmative. I like the style of the fazzer but it needs some final touches Yamaha forgot to add... lol
3. Wife loves it... that's enough said I hope. If she hates it that will be the end of funding for this project.

Welcome to the family, please upload pics, here are some posts related to your query.
One of the many reasons I bought this bike is, I may have a pillion, who may be male, so I don't want them/another man to fall on me.
That being said, R1 seat's height doesn't sync with the front end of the bike, IMHO.
Our forum recently had a major facelift, which kind of lost most of the images.
If you need some pictures, reply/request to that thread to add more pictures, or PM them.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/14676-fz6-r1-tail-end.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/34043-r1-tail-swap.html
fz6 tail/seat mod - Sportbikes.net
all the best.

FZ6-CBR900RR-EX250

Reaction score
Visit site
to Raja, thanks a ton for the links. I looked and looked and I haven't been able to find any good write ups about this conversion, and what I have found money didn't seem to be a restrictive limit so that's half ways why im gunning for a budget build as well. Plus im turning a mild mannered ninja ex250 into a insane 2 stroke 500cc monster street fighter bike so the less I spend on my wifes bike frees up more for mine

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
to Raja, thanks a ton for the links. I looked and looked and I haven't been able to find any good write ups about this conversion, and what I have found money didn't seem to be a restrictive limit so that's half ways why im gunning for a budget build as well. Plus im turning a mild mannered ninja ex250 into a insane 2 stroke 500cc monster street fighter bike so the less I spend on my wifes bike frees up more for mine

Cool, glad I was helpful.
All the best with this new project, remember to add some more safety features like extra tail lights for visibility.
On the other hand, join other R1 forums, and you will have access to their sale page, with pictures.
Where you can always buy a stock items for cheaper price.
Couple of conversion bikes I saw are having an R1 split seat, So, I bet those forums will be your budget friend.
I wish you very good luck with your project.
Hope you'll be both on roads riding soon. :) :cheer:

FZ6-CBR900RR-EX250

Reaction score
Visit site
My plans for higher visibility is a LED tail light with intergraded turn signals as well as additional LED turn signals keeping the running light function on the brighter side, as wheel as wheel stripes and a load of white or purple under glow, my wife should look close to a spaceship coming down the road at night, im also swapping out the stock head lights for LED projector lights retrofitted into the factory housing, the exhaust tips I ordered are only 10" long running dual undertail so she should be heard long before she is seen, we are doing the split seat without the rear seat rather opting for the composite cover.

FZ6-CBR900RR-EX250

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick update, got the tail section tore down, pictures to come. I got into a rush and forgot to get pictures (one step forward... two steps back...) mocked up the upper half of the tail piece and there is a lot of cutting and moving things to come. I will have to relocate the electrical components inside the frame (safer place anyhow IMO) cut the lower subframe bar to change the angle more upward, add a gusset plate, and move a few bolt tabs to work with the plastics. so final count bike = 5 Me =1.... I will get the upper hand shortly.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A member I haven't see on here in while did the tail conversion 4drfocus but as stated when the server got modded most of the pictures went away too. I did a couple searches outside and didn't find the bike there either. It did look nice tho!

Good luck!

Oh if your bike has the coolant reservoir under the seat you can free up some space by converting to S2 style and place it on the engine block behind the header. 07 - 09 came this way. fleebay should help you there (glanced 07). I guess you're set there...