06 Fazer MPG issues

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
I attached my Fuelly log above. It takes just over 4 gallons before I hit reserve, so I assume the fuel gauge is working correctly. Does that sound about right?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the weekend and last night clocked 300 miles with 5.9 gal to fill to rim (( 50.8 MPG )).

Most of this was ripping on it / highway at avg cruise speed ~70, and least 40 miles of it >80, ~ 80 miles twists in 2nd/3rd gear. Bike has stock gearing, 2bro, ignition advanced, and CO from 0/0 --> 38/38. The exhaust has and plugs are a light chocolate brown color.

Im happy as normal riding in the country is ~42 mpg. Point - being in high gear at sustained hwy speeds increases mpg's.

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you just trying to make me jealous? ;)
This bike is all stock except for fender eliminator and replacement front signals. Im 165 LBS riding 1 up. This is really bothersome to me.

Over the weekend and last night clocked 300 miles with 5.9 gal to fill to rim (( 50.8 MPG )).

Most of this was ripping on it / highway at avg cruise speed ~70, and least 40 miles of it >80, ~ 80 miles twists in 2nd/3rd gear. Bike has stock gearing, 2bro, ignition advanced, and CO from 0/0 --> 38/38. The exhaust has and plugs are a light chocolate brown color.

Im happy as normal riding in the country is ~42 mpg. Point - being in high gear at sustained hwy speeds increases mpg's.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you just trying to make me jealous? ;)
This bike is all stock except for fender eliminator and replacement front signals. Im 165 LBS riding 1 up. This is really bothersome to me.

Tell us about your riding style. What is the average RPM your running around at if you don't mind telling.

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding with MPG in mind, trying to get the best possible mileage just so I will know what it is capable of. Most of the riding has been highway speeds 65-70 and I have been keeping the RPM at 7.5 - 8.5 at speed. Getting up to speed has been basically babied. I have of course had the RPS's up there, but not for any significant amount of time. The bike runs great and there does not seem be be any hesitation issues etc..

Tell us about your riding style. What is the average RPM your running around at if you don't mind telling.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding with MPG in mind, trying to get the best possible mileage just so I will know what it is capable of. Most of the riding has been highway speeds 65-70 and I have been keeping the RPM at 7.5 - 8.5 at speed. Getting up to speed has been basically babied. I have of course had the RPS's up there, but not for any significant amount of time. The bike runs great and there does not seem be be any hesitation issues etc..

Just an observation - RIP on it! i.e. bump your shift points out and let it pull more RPM.

Engines that are lightly rev'd vs working hard (lugging it), maintain higher vacuum = better MPGs, more oil and water cooling, longer service life as its less mechanical stress and build less carbon deposits due to increased flow of gases.

In short - let it rev by moving the shift points where practical (i.e. 5 - 7K range.

Also, it gives you more control being in a lower gear as you can escape (better response time) if someone gets in your space. If in higher gears, you need to drop gears to accelerate and this may be time you don't have.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To get an accurate MPG, using your tank fuel gauge won't cut it.

Fill the tank to the rim.

Ride x of miles (at least 180 IMO). Fill up again to the same level in the tank.

Record from your odometer EXACTLY how any miles you put on.

Record EXACTLY how many gallons you just put in the tank to fill up.

**Now, simply DIVIDE the miles by the gallons. That will give you an honest MPG your getting**...

This procedure works for any vehicle, as long as the odometer is correct...

You can do this several times, riding in different styles and record your mileage to see how you engine best performs( fuel mileagae wise)

If your going by the fuel gauge ONLY, there's no way those #'s will be accurate...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My fuel economy seems to have dropped off a bit this year as well but I've never once logged less than 40 mpg. Seems like 44-46 consistently with half highway, half town if easy on the throttle. I need to replace my original brake caliper seals out this winter but I am not dragging.

30-35 mpg seems pretty terrible for a bike with low miles that is ridden lightly.

Have you inspected your air box and air filter? Mice LOVE to build nests in bikes that are left parked for long periods of time without running. A mouse nest in the air box would certainly cause bad fuel economy.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My fuel economy seems to have dropped off a bit this year as well but I've never once logged less than 40 mpg. Seems like 44-46 consistently with half highway, half town if easy on the throttle. I need to replace my original brake caliper seals out this winter but I am not dragging.

30-35 mpg seems pretty terrible for a bike with low miles that is ridden lightly.

Have you inspected your air box and air filter? Mice LOVE to build nests in bikes that are left parked for long periods of time without running. A mouse nest in the air box would certainly cause bad fuel economy.

Its funny you say that..

About 2 months ago I changed out my air filter for the first time(about 17,000 miles). Wasn't bad, but...

My mileage went from an average of 48 around town to 45... WTF??? Maybe its the summer blend of fuel or ??? My riding style didn't change any and it eventually went back up to inbetween 48 and 50(US) MPG's around town.

I did have a heavy dose of "Ring Free" in it. It works very well, however I'm NOT running "straight fuel" so I think that may have caused some, if not most of the temporary drop in MPG's.

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Fuelly to record my MPG, and that is how they calculate the mileage. I have the app on my phone and enter the miles, gallons etc right there at the station. See attached log.

To get an accurate MPG, using your tank fuel gauge won't cut it.

Fill the tank to the rim.

Ride x of miles (at least 180 IMO). Fill up again to the same level in the tank.

Record from your odometer EXACTLY how any miles you put on.

Record EXACTLY how many gallons you just put in the tank to fill up.

**Now, simply DIVIDE the miles by the gallons. That will give you an honest MPG your getting**...

This procedure works for any vehicle, as long as the odometer is correct...

You can do this several times, riding in different styles and record your mileage to see how you engine best performs( fuel mileagae wise)

If your going by the fuel gauge ONLY, there's no way those #'s will be accurate...

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
Air filter and plugs looks fine.

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I will change my shift points and run the RPM's a couple of K higher and see if that seems to help.

Just an observation - RIP on it! i.e. bump your shift points out and let it pull more RPM.

Engines that are lightly rev'd vs working hard (lugging it), maintain higher vacuum = better MPGs, more oil and water cooling, longer service life as its less mechanical stress and build less carbon deposits due to increased flow of gases.

In short - let it rev by moving the shift points where practical (i.e. 5 - 7K range.

Also, it gives you more control being in a lower gear as you can escape (better response time) if someone gets in your space. If in higher gears, you need to drop gears to accelerate and this may be time you don't have.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How in the heck did you fit 5.9 US gallons into a FZ tank?????????????

I rarely get better then 240miles to a tank and thats putting 4.6g in.

The FZ only takes 5.13 (US) gallons;

4.9 gallons maybe?? Typo?

^^ :spank::spank: ..... :rolleyes:
It wont go 300 miles one fill so maybe i topped off adding 2.5 gallons and didnt reset tripper - Then brimmed it with 3.4 gallons @300 miles!

It'd be the same as riding for a month total all fuel added vs miles traveled...

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
With that being said, what RPM's do you guys normally cruise at when at highway speeds?