05 FZ6 Constant flow from Fuel overflow

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I could fill the tank to the brim almost and never noticed any leaking from the overflow.
Last fall when I went to store the bike, I inverted the tank to drain any old gas out before I put fresh stabilized gas in for the winter.
Now, the last few times I've filled the tank, I've had fuel flow out from the large fuel overflow hose, the smaller one (I'm assuming is the air breather hose for the tank) never leaks.
The fuel will flow out for a LONG time, I loose about 1/3 to half a tank of fuel, about 2 bars worth on the gage and then it doesn't flow any more...
Really stumped about this!
Thinking I'm just going to plug the overflow hose.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
That's an odd one. The water drain hose and the vent hose both go through the fuel tank. I haven't looked, but I assume that the lines inside the tank are metal.

Best guess, the one that's leaking is broken inside the tank. I don't know how inverting the tank would do that, but it seems to have happened.

Maybe the lines inside the tank are rubber, and one became disconnected.

In any case, the best thing to do at this point is to remove the tank, drain it, and remove the fuel pump assembly. That should let you look into the tank and hopefully spot the problem.

Fred

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, gives me something to do tomorrow night and a reason to go burn off some more fuel.

Someone else also suggested the line might be broken.
I looked for an internal diagram of the tank but haven't found one that shows the tube on the inside.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, figured it out tonight.
Drained tank, took it off the bike. Took fuel pump out, and got the tank to the work bench.

In order to find the hole in the tube, I needed to take the fuel filler cap assembly off to get to the top part of the tube, in this case it is the overflow tube.
Blocked that end of the tube off with a finger, made a seal with my lips around the stub on the bottom of the tank and blew. Got my other hand in to the tank on the leaky tube and found the leak. Sealed the tiny hole up with some JB weld.

FYI, the tubes in the tank are metal and are not as far as I can tell removeable from the tank.
Total cost of the fix was nothing considering I had JB weld laying around from past projects!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, figured it out tonight.
Drained tank, took it off the bike. Took fuel pump out, and got the tank to the work bench.

In order to find the hole in the tube, I needed to take the fuel filler cap assembly off to get to the top part of the tube, in this case it is the overflow tube.
Blocked that end of the tube off with a finger, made a seal with my lips around the stub on the bottom of the tank and blew. Got my other hand in to the tank on the leaky tube and found the leak. Sealed the tiny hole up with some JB weld.

FYI, the tubes in the tank are metal and are not as far as I can tell removeable from the tank.
Total cost of the fix was nothing considering I had JB weld laying around from past projects!

How did you get a leak inside the tank on that tube? Will the JB weld hold up and keep a good seal. I know that stuff's supposed to be pretty killer.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no idea how a tiny little hole would develop in there. Possibly maybe I somehow got a little peice of salt down in there and it started a corrosion process. No clue.

JB weld is good for pretty much anything, it even says it on the packaging to be good for gas tanks.