Dunlop Tires

Gbusch

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the deal with these Dunlop SportMax 252 tires. Went riding today, pretty hot, the back end must have stepped out 4 times today. They never seem to get sticky even after I run them hard in many corners. Also, only 2000 miles on my 2007, anf they look half worn out already. Any one have input???

W

wrightme43

Please put that in the tire review thread if you dont mind. I am a big anti dunlop person. I actually made sure that I was getting the FZ with the bridgestone bt20 instead of the dunlops. Lucky for me the blue one had the bridgestones.

Yes I believe it is a known issue, dunlop tires are pretty pathetic.

I just put on a set of Avon Storm ST tires today. AWESOME TIRES!!!!

I had 8980 miles on the bridgestones. They still had another 100 or 200 miles left on them.

Gbusch

Reaction score
Visit site
I had problems with the OEM Dunlops on my Valk as well. Put on Avons, changed the whole handling characteristic and traction of the bike. Will never use Dunlops again. I had Bridgestones on my ZX6E, and they were great, track and street. I will switch out soon.

F

FireMedic

Tires

I finally changed my tires to Pirelli Diablos 180 z rated for the back and 120s for the front - OMG!!! I love them!!!

Dunlops are scrap

:rockon:

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually thought my Dunlops were pretty good. I had to replace the rear tire after only 1200 miles because I picked up a nail. I have a Michelin Pilot Sport on the rear now. When I'm on a ride and check the tires, the Dunlop tire feels much hotter and stickier than the Michelin does. Got 4K miles on the bike now and no complaints.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I really hated to see the dreaded Dunlop on my stock tires. I haven't had any problems for the first 1200 miles, but you don't like to see a bad post about your tires.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, I have Dunlop D606's on my DRZ400. I love them, they last about 1500-2000 miles, get great traction, and are quiet....

Oh, wrong forum.

They are a great dual sport tire, as long as you don't mind riding on street legal dirt tires.

Though I did make sure to get he Bridgestones on my FZ:thumbup:

S

sportrider

I had the D252s on my bike I got 3200miles out of them before they were at the wear bars. I think to intention of those tires was supposed to be tire life. I never had any real traction problems, although the rear did break loose a couple times under acceleration out of corners. I switched to Michelin Pilot Powers, I love them(I'm on my second set now) I tried a set of budget tires in between the Pilots ,and had issues with almost loosing the front while "sport-riding" enough times to retire them early. If you want to stick with Dunlopes put a set of Qualifiers on it, that's what Yamaha should have done!!! either way the stock tires are fine for commuting but when the pace comes up the tires fall a little short. also you will be amazed at how much easier the bike will turn. the stock tires are heavy!!! and the ride is actually smoother, the stock tires are really stiff.:D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I believe it is a known issue, dunlop tires are pretty pathetic.

Don't they dominate AMA? Maybe they just make good racing tires? It's definitly known that the stock Dunlops suck!

I bought a second set of wheels and the rear came with a new Dunlop Qualifier which has received good reviews from the mags. I bought a front to match it so I'm hoping I like them...going to test them out at the track and go from there.
________
married woman Cams

Last edited:
S

sportrider

poorwboy runs them on his R1 they do good, can't speak much of the front tire because the rear hooks up so good the front is normally clawing at the sky.:D

roger01

Reaction score
Visit site
I really hated to see the dreaded Dunlop on my stock tires. I haven't had any problems for the first 1200 miles, but you don't like to see a bad post about your tires.

My D252s have been fine on my '06. The rear is about gone at 4800 miles. I kept up nicely with an SV650, FJR1300, and a ZRX1200 on a 4 day trip on Tn, Va, and W.Va backroads/twisties. No slipping.