Chain Lube Reviews From My Garage

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Since I have many cans of chain lube in my garage I have decided to write a mini review for each one based on my experience in both street and dirt use. I didn’t add the Dupont Multi Use Lube in here as I figured there are plenty of gleaming reviews for it already. Short and sweet reviews from an average Joe. Please add your experiences.

Prolink MFR Chain Lube by ProGold Manufacturing: To me, this is motorcycling’s best kept secret. I have gone through many cans of this stuff and cannot say enough good things about it. It is a very thin bodied lube that also works great as a cleaner. It does not attract dirt and can be used on street and dirt applications without EVER building up. Leaves a light oil coating on the chain with a little fling. My rating A+.
ProGold Lubricants

Klotz KLR Chain Lube: This one just received a good review from webBikeWorld and rightfully so. I can best describe it as thin bodied like the MFR, but the Klotz dries to a clear non-tacky coat to protect the chain with very little fling. My rating A. Klotz Synthetic Lubricants - Products

Liquid Performance Premium Chain Lube: If you have used the Honda Red Can lube, which had a good following, this appears to be almost the same stuff. Thin, non-tacky, dries to a light wax like substance on the chain. Does fling more than the first two. Excels in the dirt with very little buildup. My rating A (dirt) B (street).
Liquid Performance

Motul Road Chain Lube: If you love the tacky, sticky stuff, this lube is for you. It is what can be considered the “traditional” motorcycle lube. I use it when I know I’m going to ride in the rain because it doesn’t wash off like the thinner bodied lubes. It does build up. It does fling a lot. It will make a mess if you use too much. My rating B+.
Available at most motorcycle shops.

Alisyn Synthetic Chain Lube: This one has the consistency of snot. Really. Very slick stuff that flings and attracts dirt. If used sparingly it works pretty well as I do notice the chain is very quiet. I have found myself using the left over can for my garage door which is funny because they sell a re branded can of this stuff at Home Depot under the name Genie. My rating B.
Alisyn Synthetic Chain Lubricant on Aerospace Lubricants, Inc.

Amsoil MP HD Heavy Duty Metal Protector: This is a wax type lube that is pretty much on par with the other wax types. I really feel this protects the chain from rust more than actually lubing it. If you like the waxes this is a good choice if you don’t mind a bit of fling. The can says it can also be used as an automotive undercoating. What the hell? My rating B.
AMSOIL - MP Heavy Duty Metal Protector (AMH)

The pic shows the cans in order of review. As you can see, I think they will all do the job depending on your preference. Coming soon, my Cleaner/Polish reviews.

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to add that DuPont's Multi Purpose Lube got high reviews on webbikeworld.com:
DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

teflon-chain-lube.jpg

I've used it and totally dig it.

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not so sure it's that important what kind of lube you use, as long as you apply it regularly. Once a week and my first sprocket and chain replacement came at 36000 kilometres. Of course you could measure the quality by the amount of gunk that collects on the rear rim.:eek:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using SX chain wax and it works very well for me (once a week) and on my last nike i got 23,000 miles (37,015km). very little fling if applied properly.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to apply the lube, spin the wheel by hand to work it in, let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then wipe the excess off with a rag. This process allows the lube to get where it needs to be, inside the chain, and it really cuts down on fling. I lube my chains after rain, a wash or about every 500 miles or so. Seems to work so far.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube. It leaves a white glaze on the chain, but that way you know you haven't missed a spot.

I stick with DuPont since it's 3X cheaper, easy to find, and almost as good (also smells like coconut).

On road trips I use Maxima's chain lube/cable lube. Smells and looks nasty, but seems to work ok. You can get it in a small can.