Clutch Lever Not Returning

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have asked several owners here in Greece (one being my cousin) if when they shift gears and release the clutch lever if it returns to the full open position. Mine sure as hell doesn't, so I'm forced after every shift to push the lever outwards from the inside of the lever.

WTF is with this?? Did Yamaha not see this frigging lever is not returning to it's full open position?

I owned a 1979 cb650 (a 28 year old bike) with ancient technology and guess what........IT DIDN'T DO THIS!!!!

Ok guys tell me how to fix this because it's driving me crazy.

Please.

W

wrightme43

You probley need to lube the clutch cable, adjust the freeplay, and if that doesnt fix it, you will either need a new cable, or there is a problem with your clutch.

Does it slip?
Does it return properly at the motor?

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is new, haven't even been for my first service yet. The funny thing is that the same thing is happening to several other bikes here. All of them are new.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed that 'feature' immediately when I first rode my new FZ6 a few weeks ago. The clutch lever is adjustable for a shorter 'reach' (which I needed to do), but results in some 'free-play' at the lever. The clutch assembly itself is functioning properly and fully engaging, however.
At first, I was nudging the lever forward with the back of my fingers, but there's really no reason to do that, so I've got myself out of the habit of it and don't worry about it any more.
Yamaha could install a light "return spring" in the lever/cable mechanism, but why bother?

besier

Reaction score
Visit site
My clutch lever was the same, I tightened the slack a bit with the adjustment screw on the back of the leaver. It did make the engagement of the clutch earlier when pulling on it.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch lever IS suppose to have some free play and if you look in your owners manual it should tell how much.:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WTF is with this?? Did Yamaha not see this frigging lever is not returning to it's full open position?

I owned a 1979 cb650 (a 28 year old bike) with ancient technology and guess what........IT DIDN'T DO THIS!!!!

are you sure your not riding a Harley?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Every bike i have ridin has had freeplay in the clutch area. My FZ is adjusted so that there is enough freeplay to fit a nikel where the slack is. If it is more freeplay than that i would try to tighten it in a little bit, but not too much. You want to make sure when you release the clutch it is fully engaged.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

Dude, pull out the manuel read it and adjust the clutch lever. This is perfectly normal and can be adjusted.

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Dude, pull out the manuel read it and adjust the clutch lever. This is perfectly normal and can be adjusted.

Yes but like said earlier this will cause the clutch to engauge earlier, something I don't want.

And no I'm not riding a Harley :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The whole idea of having that adjustment at the clutch lever is to maintain a minimum amount of free-play in the clutch cable, to ensure that the clutch is fully engaged when the lever is fully released. The fact that the clutch lever can adjusted to bring the lever closer to the handlebar grip for smaller hands to operate is a bonus. As long as the clutch fully disengages and fully engages, it really doesn't matter what position the lever "rests" in, as long as it's at its most comfortable position for the rider.
If you feel that the clutch is "engaging early", then dial out some of the freeplay, but be sure to maintain the minimum freeplay as per the manual.
I don't know why Yamaha didn't simply use the "dial adjuster" on the clutch lever similar to the brake lever. (Kawasaki does....). Pazzo levers would solve this irritant for those who find it irritating. :D

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The whole idea of having that adjustment at the clutch lever is to maintain a minimum amount of free-play in the clutch cable, to ensure that the clutch is fully engaged when the lever is fully released. The fact that the clutch lever can adjusted to bring the lever closer to the handlebar grip for smaller hands to operate is a bonus. As long as the clutch fully disengages and fully engages, it really doesn't matter what position the lever "rests" in, as long as it's at its most comfortable position for the rider.
If you feel that the clutch is "engaging early", then dial out some of the freeplay, but be sure to maintain the minimum freeplay as per the manual.
I don't know why Yamaha didn't simply use the "dial adjuster" on the clutch lever similar to the brake lever. (Kawasaki does....). Pazzo levers would solve this irritant for those who find it irritating. :D

Now that's is an answer. :thumbup::thumbup:
Yeah my brother in-law's gow a Kawasaki Er-6n and I like that he has dial adjusters on both clutch and brake levers. (the rest of the bike is U.G.L.Y IMO)

By the way I was in the dealers for service today and the mechanic adjusted it for me. I know I could have done it but I just wanted to make sure this was normal.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that's is an answer. :thumbup::thumbup:
Yeah my brother in-law's gow a Kawasaki Er-6n and I like that he has dial adjusters on both clutch and brake levers. (the rest of the bike is U.G.L.Y IMO)

By the way I was in the dealers for service today and the mechanic adjusted it for me. I know I could have done it but I just wanted to make sure this was normal.
So Its job done then?

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
So Its job done then?

Yep, it's job done except that I have to go back to the dealership today. After the service my bike is not running "smooth" like before. By this I mean it sounds like they forgot to put oil (which they did, i saw them) like metal chaffing. :(