Visit site
wear something under it if ur gonna go highspeed:

1accident22.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would be interested in how fast he was going... My mesh is rated for 85 MP/H so i know that it is not the best, but it "Is better than nothing"

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wear denim under my mesh when i know im hitting the highways or over 80kph. i dont trust mech over 80kph even if its rated for more. theres a lot of variables like what if you apply downward pressue as ur sliding or whatever.

but ya, mesh is good for casual urban riding under 80kph imo. over it be sure to wear denim under it at least

W

wrightme43

Even then the jacket attenuated the damage. That is all it can really do. You just have to decide comfort vs. cost vs. protection.

S

sportrider

my commuter jacket is mesh but, it has leather forearms with armor and a leather spine protector. if I'm going out to just go riding I wear my one piece suit.

I wear the same gear no matter how I plan on riding, because as we all know sometimes plans change.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Even then the jacket attenuated the damage. That is all it can really do. You just have to decide comfort vs. cost vs. protection.

definitely. look at the jacket, that would have been his arm.

but i would like to have zero injury if at all possible. just the way i am. i wear icon leather jacket, aftermarket armoured back and chest, mesh overpants, jeans, aftermarket knee and shin protectors, and power ranger boots. riding with anything less i feel naked.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't do over 80 in my mesh EVER! And, I've upgraded the armor in it as well. :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i pm'ed you a link to a site (the 2nd pm not the first)

scroll down to see the pictures of road rash mixed in there

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear the same gear no matter how I plan on riding, because as we all know sometimes plans change.

My buddy asks why I always put on my stuff just to hit the super market, or hop across town, and I try to explain how I can never predict how I'll ride. Every now and then you get that itch to take the long way, or some jerk in a car may suddenly want to be in the same lane as me.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Living in the south, I have to balance armor quality against the very real possibility of suffering heatstroke while riding. My happy medium is mesh jacket and pants with cordura on the major impact areas.

For pure safety, I prefer my aerostitch. Big, hot, ugly, and has saved my butt.

W

wrightme43

What's the web addy to your local paper? I'll be looking for the news story. :rolleyes:

Hey now. We have to show why gear is important and help people to decide to wear it. There is such a thing as good peer presure. Lots of people out there have never givin a thought to what happens when you go down. Hell when you stay up.

Look at these pictures man. I stayed upright and rode on. A trucks mirror did this to leather. ON MY FREAKING SHOULDER!!!!

In a tshirt I think I would of at least been hurt, and maybe of wrecked and been crushed under the wheels of a idiot cagers truck.

Wear your gear, its worth it.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We are Steve. The person I was responding to isn't though... hence my comment.

Above safety, we also need to preach responsible driving and saving squidly antics for the track, hence my other comment regarding keeping it under 80. :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Living in the south, I have to balance armor quality against the very real possibility of suffering heatstroke while riding. My happy medium is mesh jacket and pants with cordura on the major impact areas.

just drink lots of water. u cant get heatstroke if ur well hydrated i dont think

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site

I actually think the aerostitch looks cool, unless you're talking about the Hi-Vis, then it's just obnoxious (but safe) Wish I could afford one of those.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
haha maybe im just stupid, ive hit 100 all the time when i go riding and just wear a t-shirt, maybe ill start wearing my jackets

The majority of us here on this forum are very safety oriented, with an emphasis on gear. Below is a link on a poll of that I had created a while back on what we all wear when we hop on our bikes so that it can give you an idea percentage wise where you stand. Having you even start thinking about wearing a jacket is a step in the right direction. Remember, your gear is your last result. Hopefully, you will never have to use it.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/658-how-much-safety-gear-do-you-wear.html

Last edited:

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
but ya, mesh is good for casual urban riding under 80kph imo. over it be sure to wear denim under it at least

Not always practical, especially when you live places like Florida where the temperatures are 95+ degrees with 100% humidity. Like Wrightme43 had stated in a post here, you kind of have to decide proctection vs cost vs practicality. If I wore denim under a mesh jacket here in Florida in the summertime, I'd probably be passing-out from heat-stroke.

I've got three different jackets for different weather conditions:

- For the hot, humid Florida summers, I have my Teknic Supervent jacket.
- For moderate conditions, I have a Joe Rocket Mercury leather jacket.
- For cooler, rainy conditions, I have a Teknic Chinane textile waterproof jacket.