Tons of new gear coming tomorrow!

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been using borrowed gear since I bought the bike last month (helmet was wrecked on the track...) and I've been anxious about getting my own stuff. I ordered a ton from Ridersdiscount which was a really bad idea- their customer service was TERRIBLE and it took them weeks to not ship my stuff, if you want your calls to be answered don't use these guys. I just ordered a full compliment of gear from motorcycle superstore yesterday and the tracking number says everything shipped last night and will be here tomorrow! Decent prices and a great deal on the helmet- $140 off regular price, I got everything for $830 shipped 2nd day air. Here's my list, does anyone have comments on what I bought?

Icon accelerant jacket
Icon field armor chukka boots
Icon strongarm pants (jeans)
Icon tshirt (eh why not)
Shift Racing stryker leather gloves (CE armor knuckles)
KBC VR-2 dragon helmet (snell approved)-->$130 on closeout right now
Dark smoke face shield

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Icon accelerant jacket
Icon Accelerant Jacket - Motorcycle Superstore

Icon field armor chukka boots
Icon Field Armor Chukka Boots - Motorcycle Superstore

Icon strongarm pants (jeans)
Icon Stongarm Pants - Motorcycle Superstore

Icon tshirt (eh why not)
Icon Device T-Shirt - Motorcycle Superstore

Shift Racing stryker leather gloves (CE armor knuckles)
Shift Racing Stryker Leather Glove - Motorcycle Superstore

KBC VR-2 dragon helmet (snell approved)-->$130 on closeout right now
KBC VR-2 Dragon Helmet - Motorcycle Superstore

Dark smoke face shield
KBC Faceshield for VR-3 VR-2 and Force Helmet - Motorcycle Superstore

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know, thanks.

Gotta love new gear. Give us a write up on your impressions once they have been field tested, well, field ridden. You know what I mean...:D

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know, thanks.

Gotta love new gear. Give us a write up on your impressions once they have been field tested, well, field ridden. You know what I mean...:D

Ha! I hope I never have to test the helmet but I'll definitely do a review for ya.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but I personally wouldn't wear that jacket/pant/glove/boot combo. That's just me; I tend to be on the extreme end of things when it comes to gear (done a lot of crashing, not just on motorcycles). I really only wear jacket/pant combos that zip together, boots that come up a lot higher than those pictured, and full gauntlet gloves.

So....gear is a personal choice AND the type of the riding you do, along with the location, has a huge impact on the risk you're taking. In other words, congrats on the new gear, don't push it too hard, and ride safe. :thumbup:

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on all the new gear and it sounds like you got yourself a good deal. as already said, there is better gear out there but this is decent stuff.

enjoy it and let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but I personally wouldn't wear that jacket/pant/glove/boot combo. That's just me; I tend to be on extreme end of things when it comes to gear (done a lot of crashing, not just on motorcycles). I really only wear jacket/pant combos that zip together, boots that come up a lot higher than those, and full gauntlet gloves.

So....gear is a personal choice AND the type of the riding you do, along with the location, has a huge impact on the risk you're taking. In other words, congrats on the new gear, don't push it too hard, and ride safe. :thumbup:

I hear ya, I'm new to the sport and don't push it too hard though (just that once to see what it tops out at...), plus there's not a lot of traffic in the area. Mainly I wanted comfortable stuff that looks good and would keep most of my skin on my body and my brain in my skull in the event of a skid.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Got everything in today, very happy for the most part. The helmet fits very well (thank god) but the smoke shield requires you to swap out the ratchets and is quite dark... the use of a phillips head and 2 minutes is required, very annoying if you're riding into the night I imagine. The jacket is great, a little tight but thats as it should be. Finish is excellent and it looks really good, armor is good although no lower back pads- they stop mid way down. Also it is textile inside the arms so it should be pretty breathable. The boots seem to run slightly large but I'll put a dr. shoal's in there anyway, good ankle protection and they look good too. The pants are much lighter and more flexible than I imagined they would be but the area around the knees is much thicker. Tripple stiched, look pretty good. The gloves are a big disappointment, they are rediculously tiny. I have big hands but these look like child size and will be going back. All in all I'm very happy with the transaction, it's all good stuff, no shoddy manufacture problems that I can see, and shipping/tracking was incredibly smooth. I highly recommend the company, but obviously sizing for something you've never seen in person can be hit or miss no matter who you buy from.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice gear.... BUT! This is a good compliment for around-town stuff. Please don't get too aggressive with it. Listen to DefyInertia as he is living proof to back his words of wisdom. :thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Cuba, they make dedicated back protectors (and chest too) if you're so inclined at some point.

About the gloves, unless the company requires an exchange, you should at least browse newenough.com as they have GREAT deals, allow returns, and 99% of the time provide sizing information that is written by a newenough employee. In other words, they know that sizing is always an issue for online retailers, and are doing their best to mitigate the buyer's risk/hassle.

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but I personally wouldn't wear that jacket/pant/glove/boot combo. That's just me; I tend to be on the extreme end of things when it comes to gear (done a lot of crashing, not just on motorcycles). I really only wear jacket/pant combos that zip together, boots that come up a lot higher than those pictured, and full gauntlet gloves.

I am contemplating getting my self new gear, but I am not sure what to get. there are a lot of products out there and it's very confusing. Currently I only use a leather jacket with no armor, an HJC 85 dollar helmet and regular jeans. What would you guys think would be best for me for city driving? I live in Los Angeles, I commute about 40 miles a day occasionally in heavy traffic. I have been looking at ICON, they have nice stuff but I am not sure.

Help!! :don'tknow:

JeffrosFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Im no pro, dont have a million miles under me or anything like that... but... my advice to you is....

When I first got my bike... got all excited and ordered a bunch of stuff online (that looked cool and sounded nice). Well right now I still have all that and wear none of it because of poor fit or not "quality". I went to my local bike shops, researched and tried on everything they had. I think I paid slightly more what I have but everything fits perfect and I feel safe without wondering. Yea I paid $500+ for my shoei helmet and more for the rest of my gear but :noworries:

my .02

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
First riding impressions are good. The boots are great, feels more sure footed on the pavement, very breathable and you can feel cool air in your sweaty socks. The jacket is tight, doesn't flap, doesn't come down too far so very comfortable in the riding position. Shoulder vents work well and the textile areas breath a little, you sweat on a 90 degree day. The helmet is very comfortable and snug, great air flow but it does get loud at high speeds with the vents open. It's pretty flashy too, the chrome is very shiny (like mirrored shiny) so you have a good chance of being seen, also it's a little narrower than a Shoei. I'm not into flashiness but I also didn't want all black for safety reasons, it's gotten compliments so I'll get used to it. Not the best on the market but for the money it's a great helmet. The pants feel like regular jeans, they aren't going to provide protection for bones but should keep your skin in place. Gloves I can't get on my hands and will be returned but the quality looks good, well put together. This gear is more for city, definitely not track gear but it's all good stuff. If I get into more aggressive riding I'd get the leg armor and some guantlets, probably higher boots although these completely cover my ankles (just).

I wanted some high quality well made gear that will provide good protection for a moderate crash. Not full protection but good enough for my current level of experience and risk taking. I'll take a look at newenough, this place has a good return policy, the return form is on the back of the packing slip and easy to do. Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I am contemplating getting my self new gear, but I am not sure what to get. there are a lot of products out there and it's very confusing. Currently I only use a leather jacket with no armor, an HJC 85 dollar helmet and regular jeans. What would you guys think would be best for me for city driving? I live in Los Angeles, I commute about 40 miles a day occasionally in heavy traffic. I have been looking at ICON, they have nice stuff but I am not sure.

Help!! :don'tknow:

I'd say get the right helmet first, a lot of people say Shoei is the best but it didn't fit quite right for me. I love Icon stuff, it's well made and looks good IMO. Go to a shop and try everything on, then order it online for cheaper! I got really lucky with the helmet.