Chain Cleaner

tag1963

Reaction score
Visit site
Silly question. Can I use a brake or carb cleaner to clean my chain? Some guys I ride with say's it's just as good as the stuff you buy at a cycle shop and it cheaper. What do guys and gals think?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Silly question. Can I use a brake or carb cleaner to clean my chain? Some guys I ride with say's it's just as good as the stuff you buy at a cycle shop and it cheaper. What do guys and gals think?

Does it say you can on the label? I wouldn't use anything that has a sovlent base. The manual recommends Kerosene... I spray WD-40 on a rag then wipe down the chain. There are o-rings that can be damaged by solvents. The chain is a sealed type as well... meaning there is permanent lubricant behind the O-rings in the core of the chain. If you get brake cleaner or carb behind the o-rings... that can't be good for the chain...

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that those cleaners would not play nice with the o-rings in our chains. I wouldn't use it, but that's just what I would do. I really don't know other than that, but I am sure someone on here does!

Beat me to it so, yea, what CanadianFZ6 said ^

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Brake kleen will dry out the O-rings and not in the "Re-Wax" type of way. I have used WD-40 and it works fine and is pretty cheap.

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it say you can on the label? I wouldn't use anything that has a sovlent base. The manual recommends Kerosene... I spray WD-40 on a rag then wipe down the chain. There are o-rings that can be damaged by solvents. The chain is a sealed type as well... meaning there is permanent lubricant behind the O-rings in the core of the chain. If you get brake cleaner or carb behind the o-rings... that can't be good for the chain...

this is exactly what i tried and was very sceptable(sp). The I sprayed some WD-40 on a rag and started wiping the chain and I'll be darn it worked great:Flash:. Now you will go thru quite a few rags or at least one big one but it really works.

W

wrightme43

Ok now where exactly is the info that brake clean will damage the "O" rings in chains.
How is the material different than the "O" rings around brake cylinder pistons?
Kerosene is a solvent, wd-40 is a solvent.

I have seen it repeated over and over, but no proof.
Brake clean is a very good cleaner of grease and oils. It does not damage rubber brake lines, it does not damage brake seals, it does not damage brake piston O rings, it does not damage grease seals.

If someone can provide proof positive that the O ring seals on chains are in some way a different material than the other seals used in simular applications and that brake clean is proven to damage them I will believe it and be glad to know it.

Havent seen it one time anywhere. Only the statement over and over that you cant use it, never a shread of proof.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok now where exactly is the info that brake clean will damage the "O" rings in chains.
How is the material different than the "O" rings around brake cylinder pistons?
Kerosene is a solvent, wd-40 is a solvent.

I have seen it repeated over and over, but no proof.
Brake clean is a very good cleaner of grease and oils. It does not damage rubber brake lines, it does not damage brake seals, it does not damage brake piston O rings, it does not damage grease seals.

If someone can provide proof positive that the O ring seals on chains are in some way a different material than the other seals used in simular applications and that brake clean is proven to damage them I will believe it and be glad to know it.

Havent seen it one time anywhere. Only the statement over and over that you cant use it, never a shread of proof.

I am not sure if it does or does not... I personally am not willing to take the chance... maybe someone who has done it for years can chime in and confirm yes or no?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, I'm not sure if you'd call it proof, but I generally trust WBW and it has words and photos from an aerospace engineer. Cleaning a Motorcycle Chain - webBikeWorld

:Quote:

So how do motorcyclists clean their chains? I wish I knew... I find it hard to believe that everyone removes their chain every 200 miles and soaks it in kerosene. We always used WD-40 in the shop until an aerospace engineer (who is a chief airplane crash investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board) told us that this wasn't a very good idea because it displaces the grease in the chain's O- or X-rings.

See the photo he sent us, posted in our previous motorcycle chain lube article that illustrates ball bearings from an airplane after having been subjected to regular spraying with WD-40. Don't get me wrong -- WD-40 is great and we use it all the time, but his information scared us off the stuff for cleaning motorcycle chains.

:End Quote:

I'm not trying to change your mind but I will say this is proof-positive enough for me to never use WD-40. Hope this helps regardless. ;)

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Well we know Yamaha will only recommend their cleaner and lube (if they have them) and never would advertise WD-40. If anyoone looks at the contents of a WD-40 can and a Yamaha Chain Lube can and they are close to the same I would feel more likely to use it.

W

wrightme43

It's an excellent question. In fact, while googling for an answer, I ran across this thread on ADVrider of a controlled study of the effects of different cleaners on O-rings. :jawdrop:

Link: Chain O-ring WD-40 exposure effects study and results - ADVrider

Results:
oringexcel.jpg

Alas, Brake Cleaner wasn't tested, but Carb Cleaner was and I don't like the results.

Hell yeah, that dude did a real life study. That is cool. I have used brake clean on a a paper towel many times.

Now here is the question of the chemicals in Carb cleaner

Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

was it the Tetrachloroethylene that is the main part of brake cleaner?

Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

See here is the thing, Carbs have O rings in them. They survive being cleaned in Carb cleaner no problems.
Brakes have seals made of the same material, they survive being cleaned with brake cleaner just fine.

Would you all agree that spraying some on a paper towel and wiping the out side is completely different than soaking it for 24 hours?

I am tickled to see the data though.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always used WD40. My chain is approaching 20k miles and running perfectly. I usually do like Canadian, spraying a rag and wiping the chain off before lubing. Once in awhile I'll use the grunge brush combined with a WD soaking.

A good friend who has been riding a lot longer than myself also uses WD40 for cleaning his chains. His last chain lasted 24k before he changed it.

Whatever you decide, I suggest wiping all excess cleaner and gunk from the chain with a clean rag after you've finished cleaning. Lube that puppy frequently. Anytime you see the chain links turning shiny it's time to wax.

Jake

Yamahahauler

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe this will also help.
Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fo rtieth
formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.
P.S. AND GUESS WHAT!

The basic ingredient OF WD-40 is FISH OIL!.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site

I have a stock pile of brake-clean in the garage just for cleaning my chain. It isnt going to hurt it. I havent found anything that can clean a chain like brake-clean. Just spray the crap out of it then wipe all the old grease and oil off of it. Spray on a new coat and there you have it. I have cleaned my chain at least once a week since i have owned motorcycles and i have never had a problem.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
See here is the thing, Carbs have O rings in them. They survive being cleaned in Carb cleaner no problems.
Brakes have seals made of the same material, they survive being cleaned with brake cleaner just fine.

Would you all agree that spraying some on a paper towel and wiping the out side is completely different than soaking it for 24 hours?

The rubber bits in carbs and brakes will not survive prolonged exposure to carb or brake cleaner.

Yes, exposure time is a factor. You can spray a bit on and then let it evaporate off and still be OK. But it's still doing cumulative damage. And if you're giving a chain a proper clean (off the bike, in a bucket of your favorite solvent) then it's going to matter a lot more.

There's two other factors here.

Factor 2: Carb cleaner and brake cleaner are expensive. Kerosene is cheap.

Factor 3: Carb cleaner and brake cleaner are Cancer in a Can. Seriously, that stuff is not good for you. I use it only when I have to, and wear nitrile gloves to protect my hands. And after a few minutes it starts to dissolve the gloves!

Don't use that stuff unless you have to, it's very bad for you.

Fred