Please help! Bike wont start at work...

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I washed it yesterday, for the first time since getting it last april ( I know, shame on me for waiting so long :()

After washing it, I couldnt start it. I turn the key and get a load clicking/buzz and the dash flickers. I rolled down the driveway to get it started and road for 10-15 minutes. I came out this morning and it did not start, same issue. I bump started again, assuming the battery just had not charged back up from my short ride. I ride an hour to work, and try to start it when I get in, but same issue, no start!

Maybe the battery isnt being charged? I am able to work on it for a few minutes at work if anyone has suggestions? I was thinking of checking the fuses but im not even sure which ones/where to start. Worst case, I have to look like a fool again and bump start it home. sigh.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I washed it yesterday, for the first time since getting it last april ( I know, shame on me for waiting so long :()

After washing it, I couldnt start it. I turn the key and get a load clicking/buzz and the dash flickers. I rolled down the driveway to get it started and road for 10-15 minutes. I came out this morning and it did not start, same issue. I bump started again, assuming the battery just had not charged back up from my short ride. I ride an hour to work, and try to start it when I get in, but same issue, no start!

Maybe the battery isnt being charged? I am able to work on it for a few minutes at work if anyone has suggestions? I was thinking of checking the fuses but im not even sure which ones/where to start. Worst case, I have to look like a fool again and bump start it home. sigh.
Does the ignition come on and fuel pump prime?

Sounds like a charging issue

good luck

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IF the lights simply get dim after bump start; you likely have a charging issue. If they brighten as you rev it, either a bad connection to the battery (lift the tank and check) or the battery is done.

Get it home and check the battery with a volt meter. It should be above 12.6 and closer to 12.9 volts. If at 13+ above 4000 RPM the battery voltage does not climb from "when off", its another indication the charging system is not working. Check the connections and get the battery charged. If its more than 4 years old you might just replace it.

One stall and NOT being able to restart could be bad for your health!

PS - use the search button. Many have been here before you.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, everything is normal with the ignition and pump. It even runs fine, its just the starting.
Your pretty limited to what you can do with the under seat tool kit. Last month my bike completely died at work. When I pressed the start button the dash went out and the starter did not turn. I traced it to a faulty auxiliary power socket.

Neil

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why I never power wash my bike. Just a garden hose pressure with nice shower nozzle is adequate. You can get to hard to reach dirt with a rag during a good wash. I'm always worried about getting water in the spark plugs or electrical connectors under pressure.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At this point it sounds like your battery is not holding the charge. It's depth of charge may be very little. Have the battery charged and load tested. Then test the other components of the charging system to see that they are working. We have so much good reading on this forum on trouble shooting charging systems.

:Flash::Flash:Caution! Do not jump start your bike from a car while the car engine is running!:Flash::Flash:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At this point it sounds like your battery is not holding the charge. It's depth of charge may be very little. Have the battery charged and load tested. Then test the other components of the charging system to see that they are working. We have so much good reading on this forum on trouble shooting charging systems.

:Flash::Flash:Caution! Do not jump start your bike from a car while the car engine is running!:Flash::Flash:

+1 on the above.

That battery isn't holding any depth of charge..

Dimming dash lights while cranking is a common clue the battery is on its last legs. Loss of your dash clock setting, the battery is REALLY BAD.

When my dash lights starting dimming a couple of years ago upon cranking, I did a lazy mans load test. Put a volt meter measurung the battery: Sitting still, 12+ volts, cranking over, 8 volts (and it started!!).

Once running my meter showed 13 plus volts with an increse with RPM's (charging system is fine).

BTW, washing had nothing to do with it, just a coincidence...

Last edited:

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

That battery isn't holding any depth of charge..

Dimming dash lights while cranking is a common clue the battery is on its last legs. Loss of your dash clock setting, the battery is REALLY BAD.

When my dash lights starting dimming a couple of years ago upon cranking, I did a lazy mans load test. Put a volt meter measurung the battery: Sitting still, 12+ volts, cranking over, 8 volts (and it started!!).

Once running my meter showed 13 plus volts with an increse with RPM's (charging system is fine).

BTW, washing had nothing to do with it, just a coincidence...

Thank you for the replies!

I think you all are correct, it is the battery. I had to bump start it to get home yesterday. I lifted the tank when I got home, went to start it and it started no problem. I was dumbfounded. Then 30 minutes later I tried to start it again and it wouldnt start. I tested with a voltometer and was getting around 12.6-12.8 volts when it started. Later, when it didnt start I was barely above 12 volts. When I cranked it the volts dropped to around 7. I dont have anything connected to the battery that would drain it, so I think the battery is just dying.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you get it cranked up again, just hook your volt meter back up and run the engine.

If the charging system is good, you'll see around 14 volts when rev'ed to 5,000 RPM's. (The voltage charging will increase with RPM's).

:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Please help! Bike wont start at work...

Hi, just wondering what the reason for this is as I always have the engine running on the vehicle I jump start from?

Cheers,
Chris

The bike has a shunt type voltage regulator and the car alternator can overload it and blow it. :)

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2 :mikebike:

Last edited:

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Btw, a follow up to this issue. After sitting on the trickle charger overnight she ran fine to and from work. I think my battery is dying and does not like the lack of use after a few days. Thanks everyone!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the battery off and take it to autozone or something. They'll load test it for free. If you need to, just ride up there and they usually have loaner tools to disconnect the battery, and they'll do it still on the bike.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the battery off and take it to autozone or something. They'll load test it for free. If you need to, just ride up there and they usually have loaner tools to disconnect the battery, and they'll do it still on the bike.
+1 or your gonna be bump starting again rather be pro active with maintenance then re active