520 conversion?

530 oem , aftermarket or 520 conversion (steel only)

• Total voters

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
520 CONVERSION KIT - SUPERLITE RS7 STEEL SPROCKET SET WITH YOUR CHOICE OF X'RING CHAIN - YAMAHA FZ-6 '04-09

SELECT FRONT SPROCKET SIZE
16T - Stock Size
SELECT REAR SPROCKET SIZE
46T
SELECT CHAIN MODEL
RK 520 GXW series Heavy Duty X'ring - BLACK - (1000cc)

i am really not for the conversion i just figure if it works as good its less weight and still made of steel why not when its cheaper please let me know any suggestions id like to buy the sprocket and chain in black the gunmetal gray is not very attractive to my eye

whats your opinion

stick with oem parts, get what i want, or get what the sprocket center rep said is the best, i mean he works with sprockets for a living.

Thanks for your time and help

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
It is less weight, but the chain isn't as strong so it won't last as long. And while it's less weight, I doubt us mere mortals would honestly be able to notice the difference. It would probably feel better, but so do fresh tires, fresh oil change, a brand new chain/sprockets of the same size, fresh fork oil, adjusting pre-load...

But steel sprockets are the norm, and you can get any size chain in any color you want. 530 chain is more expensive because there's more metal involved and it's rated for a higher load.

Last edited:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is less weight, but the chain isn't as strong so it won't last as long. And while it's less weight, I doubt us mere mortals would honestly be able to notice the difference. It would probably feel better, but so do fresh tires, fresh oil change, a brand new chain/sprockets of the same size, fresh fork oil, adjusting pre-load...

But steel sprockets are the norm, and you can get any size chain in any color you want. 530 chain is more expensive because there's more metal involved and it's rated for a higher load.

but if the 520 chain is rated at a 1000 cc bike do you really think that the fz Really even has a chance to push its limits its all about the right tool for the job and i think we are all right here in saying 530 is safer but you don't use a 1/2 drive ratchet for valve body bolts because its not necessary but it will get the job done.... you know what i mean?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am happy with the DID chain and sprockets that came with the bike, As Downrange has stated, I also doubt that there is any significant difference in noticeable weight change by going the 520 route.
I went down 1 tooth on the rear and have kept the 530 setup. Wear and longevity are more important to me than the few ounces saved in weight.

Neil:thumbup:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I completely agree with the wear and longevity issues but don't you think if its rated that high that this issue is now minimized I apologize for the devils advocate I'm just trying to see all the cards ;) I really appreciate the opinions and information given

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I would not recomend this change at all.
A 520 chain is basicaly a dirt bike chain, where the ground is soft, the power is low AND the bike is light.

What you need with these bikes is a 530, (just like it came with, they put them on for a reason ya know.) and you need to ensure the chain you use has a tensile strengh of at least 10,000 LBS.
(I don't think you can get a 520 with a strength rating that high)
8000 lbs does not cut it on a 100BHP machine.

I have had a family member, who, in his wisdom did the 520 thing to his old CB900F, then the chain failed, it took out the engine case, AND his Achilies tendon. To this day he still can not walk properly.

I recomend the Tsubaki Sigma Series Chains, yes they are expensive, but they will last a long time, and you can sleep without worrying about it going SNAP...

Just my $0.02 of course...do whay you like. But at least you have been warned..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 520 will wear quicker, it may well be able to handle the power. Some input on wear from people who have done the 520 would be helpful.
Neil:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I completely agree with the wear and longevity issues but don't you think if its rated that high that this issue is now minimized I apologize for the devils advocate I'm just trying to see all the cards ;) I really appreciate the opinions and information given

Rated that high by whom and for which 1000cc bike? I've got a VFR800 and a GSXR750. The smaller engine makes more power than the bigger. A 90 GSXR1100 would probably be fine with a 520 chain. That "rating" was given by a marketing guy, not an engineer.

Will it snap? Probably not. But the 520 or 530 is the actual rating of the chain
A 530 is bigger because it's rated for more weight. You also have to consider wear. A 520 chain will most likely hold a liter when it's new. But as the chain wears, it will hold less and less. It's quite possible that a 520 will be overloaded before it reaches any wear indicators.

I'm not an engineer, so I can't say for sure if it will. The ones that built the bike felt a 530 was best. In the end, it's your bike and your leg. I doubt you'd save money with a 520 since it'll most likely wear faster, and i know for sure you won't notice a difference in performance.

Chains, oil, cheap ebay HID kits, and politics. Geez. :Flash:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The size difference between the 520 and the 530 chain is about 1/8 inch wider. Depending on quality and design of a chain the 520 could actually be a stronger chain than a stock OEM 530 but.... Since you're using a narrower chain and sprockets they may all wear faster.

Here's a little chart with some info on sizing. Tensile strength is the important factor so as long as the chain is rated for the job you're good to go.

537px-Chain_dims.jpg

Last edited:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rated that high by whom and for which 1000cc bike? I've got a VFR800 and a GSXR750. The smaller engine makes more power than the bigger. A 90 GSXR1100 would probably be fine with a 520 chain. That "rating" was given by a marketing guy, not an engineer.

Will it snap? Probably not. But the 520 or 530 is the actual rating of the chain
A 530 is bigger because it's rated for more weight. You also have to consider wear. A 520 chain will most likely hold a liter when it's new. But as the chain wears, it will hold less and less. It's quite possible that a 520 will be overloaded before it reaches any wear indicators.

I'm not an engineer, so I can't say for sure if it will. The ones that built the bike felt a 530 was best. In the end, it's your bike and your leg. I doubt you'd save money with a 520 since it'll most likely wear faster, and i know for sure you won't notice a difference in performance.

Chains, oil, cheap ebay HID kits, and politics. Geez. :Flash:

These types of responses are why I start these threads and keep coming back for more

I think of alot of stuff during the day and can't remember it all to help myself this response is probably the tipping point on why ill buy a 530 thank you for not degrading my question and answering the question with meaningful information

Again. Thank you guys 530 it is

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the 530 with stock sized sprockets for the better life and so as not to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. 530 is probably oversized for the FZ6 but is a good strong chain. A good 520 chain could easily be stronger than a cheap 520 chain. If I went to a 520 it would be a top chain like a DID. The Honda CBR600RR has a 525 chain and some do a 520 conversion on it.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the 530 with stock sized sprockets for the better life and so as not to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. 530 is probably oversized for the FZ6 but is a good strong chain. A good 520 chain could easily be stronger than a cheap 520 chain. If I went to a 520 it would be a top chain like a DID. The Honda CBR600RR has a 525 chain and some do a 520 conversion on it.

Yeah, Yamaha probably put a 530 on there so it'd wear longer. My GSXR uses a 525 but the manual says to check at 6000 and 12000 miles, and to replace at 15,000 no matter what.

So, like I said, a 520 will probably be okay. But what are the new service intervals on the bike? As a chain ages and stretches it loses holding power, do you know when that limit has been reached? It's not the limit that's in the manual, I promise. There's a guy on the gsxr.com forum right now that put a 520 on his GSX-R600 and at roughly 11,000 miles it snapped going 40ish. Barely missed his leg and ripped the clutch cover clean off. His was (at least he said it was) a DID chain. Pictures of the chain look pristine, and it's well within published limits for the 525 chain.

Going to anything that's lighter duty than what the engineer designed means that safety limits need to be reassessed. I don't feel qualified to do that. If you are, by all means. Let the rest of us know, cause I'm sure lots of people want to go to a 520 as well. :thumbup:

My guess as to why a 530 was put on there is that the weight increase would be about a pound, maybe two. For us mere mortals riding on the street... who cares, but it pushes the service life to over 20,000 miles. And it also leaves a large safety margin in case someone doesn't get the chain serviced on time.

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy ran a 520 on his SV650, said he won't do it again because it wore so much more quickly. Not worth the price difference when you have to swap it thousands of miles sooner. I think he wore through it in about 10,000 miles (about 6-8 months for him).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy ran a 520 on his SV650, said he won't do it again because it wore so much more quickly. Not worth the price difference when you have to swap it thousands of miles sooner. I think he wore through it in about 10,000 miles (about 6-8 months for him).

Yeah the twins seem to hammer chains a little sooner depending on how the rider accelerates. My SV1000s is still on the original OEM chain and sprockets with about 12k on the bike and all looks great. I do keep it clean and lubed. :)

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I think he's around the 30-40k mark, I usually just take his word on wear rates since he goes through stuff faster! Haha

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
530 SPROCKET KIT - SUPERLITE RS7 STEEL SPROCKET SET AND YOUR CHOICE OF X'RING CHAIN - YAMAHA FZ-6 '04-09

SELECT FRONT SPROCKET SIZE
16T - Stock Size
SELECT REAR SPROCKET SIZE
46T - Stock Size
SELECT CHAIN MODEL
RK 530 XSO series X'ring - NATURAL - (1000cc rated)

Looks like ill be going this route rear sprocket is black and chain is natural finish i was going to go with red, but i think id be more happy with the natural as i like it on the bike now.

Thanks for the good information and conversation :rockon:

Going to order through sprocket center as they look to be a well suited company in close to my location and have answered all my questions along the way.

again thanks fz6 forum

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I get my bike back from the repairer, I'll be able to tell you if there's a difference.

My stock, original 530 chain had reached 42000kms and was still easily within spec, but I bought a 520 RK chain, Vortex front sprocket and Supersprox rear sprocket. here

The bike shop is fitting them, so I'll be able to advise accordingly!

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. The above chain is warrantied for 20000mi, so longevity shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

Last edited:

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
When I get my bike back from the repairer, I'll be able to tell you if there's a difference.

My stock, original 530 chain had reached 42000kms and was still easily within spec, but I bought a 520 RK chain, Vortex front sprocket and Supersprox rear sprocket. here

The bike shop is fitting them, so I'll be able to advise accordingly!

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. The above chain is warrantied for 20000mi, so longevity shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

Warranted for wear or just for failure?

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just stick with OEM. I'm not worried about a pound or two. Plus the OEM chain is a continuous chain and doesn't have a master link. You have to pull the swingarm bolt and tilt the swingarm out of the way to install it. I figure this is a good time to clean and lube the swingarm bolt at the same time. I don't like master links or even having to solid rivet links together. That way I know it's good.

I changed my stock chain at 32K. I have a Scottoiler on the new one and at 50,500 miles I have not had to adjust it yet. I should get some serious life out of this chain. The Scottoiler is well worth the money spent.