Water in dashboard, need some help

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Crazy thing, I washed my bike last days and today when I rode it to work I noticed that my dashboard wouldn't show anything, just some random traces. Worst thing is that I have to rely on my common sense regarding speed, and that is always a bad idea :)
I took off the dash board and I noticed a small crack on the left lower side, seems like my cluth cable eroded the plastic until it made a small crack and when I washed the bike some water got in. Bike's running real good so maybe I can still save somethin in there. Thing is I have no idea how to open the thing. Did anyone of you open this part? Any ideas?View attachment 43341

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe keep it in a very warm dry area for a few days and see if it will dry out. If it dries out and shows normal get some black silicone RTV and seal the hole. Get the cable off the instrument cluster.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it is a LIQUID crystal display.....:spank:

:rof:

As I have some history with water and electronics it is never a good idea to let it there. It will corrode contacts for sure if it infiltrated in poorly vented places. I started to pry open the cases. It is a bitch as they are perfectly sealed, I think they heat sealed the plastics or something like that. I found a topic of an Spanish guy who mounted a gear indicator into the dashboard and he managed to open it with lots of patience and acetone. I already screwed the lip of the case so I might as well go for it.
Traductor de Google
Here's the thread in case anyone comes to this problem as I did. And keep your cable away from the dash, it will eat into it until there's a hole that can take water, even in rain, especially with no windshield. I'll keep posted after I get into the case. Hope I won't need another dashboard :( What are the prices on those? Second hand, S1 or S2 (although for S2 there might be some problems with my windshield as it's made for S1... Got a friend with a 2005 like mine and he plans on selling it. Maybe I'll switch mine with his after I repair it :D He has more km on board thou ... Will be hard to explain when I sell it :rolleyes:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Put it in the microwave!!!

Jk of course...

Unless you would try and shoot video of it as well

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest thing is to get the power to the device (cluster in this case) removed.
The (non sterile) water and the electricity will cause an chemical reaction where the water will eat away at the (typicaly) copper connections (and or traces on the PCB)

Once you get the power removed, placing the whole thing is a desicant (like dry rice) will help remove all of the moisture.
The little white bags that come in most new electronics works the best..

Then seal up the hole.

If you are lucky the damage will be minimal...if not, you may end up needing a new cluster all together..(that would suck)

Same goes for any piece of electonics (your cell phone for example)
Removing the power (remove the battery) is the number one priorety..

HTH.
Cow..

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed the rubber plug with all the wires to create a venting place and I let it cook in the sun all day. Being black I presume it heated pretty good. When I tested it tonight it wokred like a charm :) I don't think I will proceed on opening it but I will sure add some moisture bags inside then close the rubber plug and let it heat up one more day in the sun. That should take care of all the humidity. I saw on the backside that it has a venting spot, 4 little holes right in the center. If someone could confirm that would be great. Maybe it should have it, it is on the backside and that would be enclosed in the other lid.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Be aware that heating it up in the sun just makes the moisture airborne unless it is actively drawn out.

Thus, when the air cools, the moisture in the air condenses and you will have water in there again.

I'd stick the entire cluster in a rubbish bag with a plate of dry rice and seal it up for a couple of days.

Then you know that ALL of the airborne moisture wont condense and create another problem.

Cheers,
Rick

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest thing is to get the power to the device (cluster in this case) removed.
The (non sterile) water and the electricity will cause an chemical reaction where the water will eat away at the (typicaly) copper connections (and or traces on the PCB)

Once you get the power removed, placing the whole thing is a desicant (like dry rice) will help remove all of the moisture.
The little white bags that come in most new electronics works the best..

Then seal up the hole.

If you are lucky the damage will be minimal...if not, you may end up needing a new cluster all together..(that would suck)

Same goes for any piece of electonics (your cell phone for example)
Removing the power (remove the battery) is the number one priorety..

HTH.
Cow..

Well Said! So you do PM's / repairs / calibrations of medical equip? based upon your sig?? Just curious. . .

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Be aware that heating it up in the sun just makes the moisture airborne unless it is actively drawn out.

Thus, when the air cools, the moisture in the air condenses and you will have water in there again.

I'd stick the entire cluster in a rubbish bag with a plate of dry rice and seal it up for a couple of days.

Then you know that ALL of the airborne moisture wont condense and create another problem.

Cheers,
Rick

I'm pretty manufacture didn't seal them solid so it likely doesn't matter with the vent holes in it. For things that are sealed up, this makes perfect sense as the humidity is pretty much never ZERO!

Which on thread jack :spank: :spank: :spank: is why we try to bleed our brakes aka open the brake system and add fluid on the DRIEST -> LOWEST HUMIDITY days of the year as the humidity in the air breaks down the new fluid!