syn+dino oil

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
OK quick dilemma, I only had like 2 quarts of my 5w-40 t6 rotella, and the local store is out of it :(
and thats the only place in walking distance
now I do have a quart of conventional castrol 4t 10w-40
can I mix them together? I dont know if thats all there is to a "synthetic blend" and because they are different weights also concerned me.
will it do anything bad to the engine/transmission/clutch if I do it or if I do it and leave it in there for 3k miles?

S

Shamus McFeeley

OK quick dilemma, I only had like 2 quarts of my 5w-40 t6 rotella, and the local store is out of it :(
and thats the only place in walking distance
now I do have a quart of conventional castrol 4t 10w-40
can I mix them together? I dont know if thats all there is to a "synthetic blend" and because they are different weights also concerned me.
will it do anything bad to the engine/transmission/clutch if I do it or if I do it and leave it in there for 3k miles?

They are not different weights. You can add them together and shouldn't see any problems. If you are that concerned you could move up your next oil change, but honestly unless you notice any shifting problems develop you'll be fine.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"oil is cheap...engines are expensive.."

im not a pro on engine oils but i dont take chances

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty much all the syn blends are you'll be fine, you might not get the same mileage out of it as if you were running a full syn but no worries

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I would never do it intentionally but hey; any port in a storm, any oasis in a desert, any, well, you get the idea. (ANYTHING beats nothing. When you gotta ride you gotta ride!)

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it won't hurt a thing. Modern oils mix without issue. I would change your oil based on the Castrol 4T if you're worried (aka if you would run the 4T out to 3000 miles, do that). T6 is just highly-refined crude anyways, not a "real" (Group IV or V) synthetic.

Of course, by the fact that you're even concerned at all tells me you will change your oil within an acceptable time limit and take fine care of your bike. Funny how that works -- the only people that worry are the ones that don't need to :)

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
lol yes I was am concerned, I build engines and have seen some terrible stuff that people do or neglect on their cars. You would think that as good as I am with engines that I would know more about oil, lol