Oil?

spyder_528

Reaction score
Visit site
:confused:I've been looking at different oils and thought about putting castrol oil in my bike but a lot of people recommend rotella. What oil should i put in? If rotella, Which one? synthetic...? Tp...?

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm scared to even respond as oil threads spread like wildfire and leave destruction in their wake.

However, I will directly answer your question: If someone were to put in Rotella, it would be the synthetic T6 in a 5-40W (blue bottle).

Other than that, I highly recommend the search function as most comments/opinions have already been made elsewhere. :)

Happy hunting and safe riding!

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1000 on doing a search about oil!!!

But I will say, since I'm already posting anyways lol, and not that I wouldn't either, but oil is one of this things that promotes high brand loyalty, and what ever type of oil that a individual uses is what they think is best and that is what they will recommend. I use royal purple max cycle, it's just what I prefer, I've used the regular stuff in my cars for years with ridiculous good results, and am also very pleased with the results in the bike. IMHO what ever moto specific oil you choose, or oil that can be run with a wet clutch, wether it be full synthetic, synthetic blend, or pure dino you will be fine. However not all oils are the same and you might find you need to adjust the clutch, or other shifting issues depending on what you choose. But do a forum search and you will find all kinds of info on oils that members use as well as filters

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I broke the seal on posting on oil threads earlier today, something I thought I knew better than to do, so I'll chime in too. Scorpio's point is an important one. The blue jug Rotella is the only one without friction modifiers, and friction modifiers may interfere with the wet clutch. So blue jug Rotella only, or no Rotella is my rule.

06_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry for bringing this up but just had to ask.... was going to buy the t6 oil but isnt it for diesel engines? is it still ok to use?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry for bringing this up but just had to ask.... was going to buy the t6 oil but isnt it for diesel engines? is it still ok to use?

If it's motorcycle specific oil without friction modifiers and the correct weight range per your bike manufacturer and temperature range it should be good. the oil you use should meet or exceed your owners manual oil specs. :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've said it once, I've said it a million times, I use whatever is on sale at Cycle Gear, by the gallon jug. Usually it's Castrol Semi-Synthetic. Good enough for the R6, XV920R, and the RZ350. The Tuono V4R APRC gets Motul. Sorry...Warranty isn't up yet..

I've no idea what my wife's GZ250 gets. Olive oil???? Ferret oil? Mink oil? Beaver oil? Whatever is on my workbench and equals 1,500cc's?

Honestly, if it is 1) clean, 2) not anti-friction, you're good-to-go.

Worry less, ride more.

Oh, I've had my Aprilia for 18 months and changed the oil twice...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Motul 7100 10W40 fully synthetic in my Fazer. It is the best, of the best, of the best - but costs me $96 per change. (plus filter - I do one of those every time, too!)

Cheers,
Rick

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
The Rotella t6 is good oil but in my experience it breaks down quicker than other oils like Castrol Racing or Red Line. With the T6 noticed mre valve rattle and clatter late in the oil change cycle. Changed to Red Line, shifts were smoother and the engine would make less noise later in the oil change cycle - T6 was good for maybe 2,000 miles while the Red Line was good up till I changed at 3,000 miles. Just my experience - I only put 37,000 miles on my FZ6 in 4 years. Just my experience.

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Repsol Moto 10w40 fully synthetic amazing oil that made gear changes quite smoother than the mobile I had before

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i think Castrol and Pennzoil products SUCK personally, and wont use them in any engine period.

i also believe that you should run conventional for the first few changes to help break in an engine. I dont have enough mile on the FZ yet to run synthetic, but i will switch at the next change.