Good boots.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
"I don't ride fast, so I don't need moto boots." I hear that a lot. While I don't subscribe to that myself, I did fall into the trap of, "I'm not going all that fast - I can settle for just-OK moto boots."

In my first supermoto race, at the beginning of March, I wore my second-best MX boots. I figured, no big deal - it's supermoto on a little kart track, so the speeds are low.

You don't need to be going fast at all for a bike to fall on your foot, twist your ankle, and break it. I think I would have been less injured if I had really been booking. :p

The lesson? Never skimp on boots. Not when you're just piddling around town. Not when your're racing a TT-R125 at low speeds. ;)

I went with Alpinestars Supertechs. I would have gone with the Sidi Crossfire SRSs if they made a pair in small sizes. My priorities for boots are now a) hard impact protection and b) rigid protection to keep my ankle from twisting in bad ways. Both boots meet these criteria. The Crossfires go higher up the leg, providing more protection; they also have nifty replaceable sole sliders, if you're into that.

What kept me from riding for a month. AKA - "I'm screwed!"

postop2.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch. Never cheap out on gear and WEAR it once you have it.

When I roadraced years ago we had a dude who showed up on his flat track bike. I was setting up to pass him to the inside of a corner when he stuck his foot out into the inside of the turn. Well I was already commited to my line, I ran his foot over at the ankle. Oh well...that's racing. He was okay. Once that happened he changed his style!

Last edited:

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
very good reminder, did this just happen? or are you recounting for our benefit?

This happened on March 2nd. I finally did my first race since that crash yesterday, which made me think of posting this. :)

Get the Oxtars TCS .. much cheaper ... It has all that you need.

I looked at the TCS, as they looked pretty substantial, as well. But just like the Crossfires, they don't have my size. :)

The Crossfires - and the previous gen, the Flexforce - are what I see a lot on the dirt and at the SM track. I've seen them take some really hairy abuse and keep the owner's leg safe.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading this thread (albeit a bit after the fact), I've always wondered something. Is it kosher to wear MX boots on a street bike? I'm all set with my Oxtar TCS sport boots and Alpinestars SMX Plus boots, but that's just something I've always wondered. Mainly because of the reason Roadstergal listed for the Sidi's...that they come up higher and seem to give more coverage, therefore more protection for the lower leg. Is there any reason why you couldn't (or shouldn't) wear MX boots on the street?

W

wrightme43

SetUp Vision Motorcycle Boots :: New Enough, LTD

For the price these are rocking good boots. I had a pair in black, I used them two seasons and then had them resoled just before my house burned. They were made under the instruction of Sidi in the US but it was not profitable so they are gone. I have a pair in blue size 43 (9.5) in my closet. Worn for less than 400 miles. I have a pair of Sidi boots in black too. If you were a 9-9.5 I will sell them for 55$ shipped to the lower 48. And you dont mind a blue boot and all.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up a pair of oxtar matrix 2 boots, they are a step up from my dr. martens boots...now im wondering if i should have gotten something with a little more coverage/protection..

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I highly recommend the Oxtar line, if you can find them in your size. Not sure how much I'll wear mine after my SMX Plus get here in a couple of days, and they're blue (the Oxtars), but I highly recommend them.

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got the SIDI B2 boots. All my friends told me i don't need boots like that. To just get a cheap pair. But I didn't listen to them. I want good protection, even if they think I'm over doing it. Better to be safe. :Sport:

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
im looking at SIDI stinger boots, looks to be for the smaller footed person, but with crossfire features and lower price...

would these be too cumbersome for commuting? i change into dress shoes at work, so thats not an issue.